WashU vs. Cornell for MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eeee

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to decide between WashU and Cornell for my medical degree. I feel that I would like both of those places, but which do you think would be better in terms of getting into a residency program I want?
I want to get into academic medicine eventually. For those purposes is one school better than the other.
I'm posting this question here since you guys have gone through this already

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi--I'm a Cornell med student. I didn't apply to WashU, though, so I can't compare the two for you. But I'd be happy to answer any specific questions you might have about Cornell.

As far as residency goes, check out this page of my class' web site--it has a link to the list for residency matches from last year (this year isn't out yet)

<a href="http://class2004.med.cornell.edu/applicant.html" target="_blank">http://class2004.med.cornell.edu/applicant.html</a>

WashU is a better academic physician producer......currently. WashU is also the only real game in town. Cornell is NYC, which is awesome. But, there are many hospitals in town. WashU is a springboard to go to the East or West or stay in between. Cornell will tend to keep you in the East coast.

You'll do well at both, though. So, perhaps, geography and social outlet potential will come into play.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree... WashU is better if you want academic medicine, its a top 5 school.

Cornell is also a good program though. If you were applying MD/PhD I'd say WashU is the clear winner, but if you are doing regular MD its pretty close.

WashU has a slight edge in my book, but like I said both schools are great.

I would disagree with the other two posters. This top 5 schools thing is overblown. Residency directors don't do such a strict differential (a simple list of Yale, Stanford, Duke, Harvard, Columbia, Cornell, Wash U, Hopkins, UCSF would already make a top-9 list and you seriously think that one of them deserve a top 5 spot while another does not?). A faculty member who sat on our school's general surgery residency selection board said that they do put some favor on applicants from first-tier med schools and he said that tier is consisted of 15 schools. So for all that's worth....

I will seriously seriously consider all other factors such as locations, financial aid$$$, etc. Cornell should win out....

And which are those 15 schools??

•••quote:•••Originally posted by JJ4:
•And which are those 15 schools??•••••sorry, don't know. nobody bothered to ask the faculty member when he did the residency matching presentation. To people in med school, that's irrelevant since we are here already and not like we are going to switch school anyway. So nobody raised his/her hand.

Hey, I resemble, I mean resent that WashU "the only real game in town" Mr or Ms fourthyr. I go to Saint Louis U, and we get lots of respect out here in StL (maybe even more from the local peeps). Not much in the national scene, though.

My real purpose of the post is to say that I have some good friends at Wash U, and they all seem to be pretty happy. It may be expensive, but they have lots of finacial aid money to go around(unlike my school, which is more expensive, btw). And the cost of living around here is dirt cheap (especially compared to NYC).

I say, go for WashU, I doubt you will regret it.

Thewonderer,

Keep in mind that you will need much more financial aid to survive at Cornell than you would to get buy in St Louis.

NYC is easily triple the cost of living that St Louis is.

Sure, NYC has more to offer than St Louis, but how the hell you going to have time to do all that stuff anyways? I seriously doubt you will be going to the Met very often.

So, while it is true that there is more opportunity for urban attractions in NYC, it will remain merely unrealized opportunity because you wont have time to do a whole lot of that stuff anyways.

Hey wonderer - you forgot to mention Penn. :D

TheWonderer:

I would have sent you a PM but you have not enabled that option. What aspects of your med school do you wish were different?

Mr. MacGyver seems to be an expert on medical school in New York City. I'm not sure if he attends Cornell, but I do and can shed a little light on a few things he said. First of all, you'll have plenty of time to enjoy the sights and sounds of New York City. Our curriculum is a dream. It's based on problem based learning, small groups, and few lectures. We're finished with class daily by 1pm, leaving plenty of time for study and enjoyment. (I can only speak for the first two years, though.) The financial aid office is very generous and although it is true that New York is more expense, the housing is generously subsidized making it not only the cheapest but also nicest of the city's med schools. You can get by adequately on the student budget. So consider when will be the next time you'll be able to live in New York City, the capital of the world, for so cheap?

•••quote:•••Originally posted by MacGyver:
•Thewonderer,

Keep in mind that you will need much more financial aid to survive at Cornell than you would to get buy in St Louis.

NYC is easily triple the cost of living that St Louis is.

Sure, NYC has more to offer than St Louis, but how the hell you going to have time to do all that stuff anyways? I seriously doubt you will be going to the Met very often.

So, while it is true that there is more opportunity for urban attractions in NYC, it will remain merely unrealized opportunity because you wont have time to do a whole lot of that stuff anyways.•••••NYC should not triple the living cost of St. Louis. As the other poster pointed out, housing is heavily subsidized at Cornell and I don't know how you spend $$$, but 3x is too much of an exaggeration. I would say, stay put until Wash U and Cornell actually give you the financial aid package. Cornell is filthy rich. Who knows it would be cheaper to go to Wash U or Cornell?

It is important to have fun in med school and relax. All depends on your attitude. I have a roomate who does not like to have fun and he crams right before the exam. I try to spread things out and go out-of-town on weekends sometimes. It all depends on how you work your schedule. I like people who can take control and not be governed by their schedule/environment. Nothing is undoable.

My med school? I don't want to identify where I am from because it is too obvious. There aren't too many Canadians in each school :wink: Let's just say that I wish my school has fewer intense, stressed out kids.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Thewonderer:
• My med school? I don't want to identify where I am from because it is too obvious. There aren't too many Canadians in each school :wink: Let's just say that I wish my school has fewer intense, stressed out kids.•••••Do you think compared to other med schools, your med school has significantly more intense and stressed out kids? Why are they so stressed? are they trying to get honors?...just curious.

I REALLY REALLY REALLY want to go to Cornell!

•••quote:•••Originally posted by thegriffy:
•the housing is generously subsidized making it not only the cheapest but also nicest of the city's med schools. •••••NO!

This is just not true. I am sorry. Mount Sinai's housing beat Cornell's and everyone else's housing into the ground and then do a little tap dance on top of them. Cornell would have the second nicest housing in New York though :)

No way - Sinai's housing is too congested. I mean, living in those apartments for the first year is doable - but for 4??? Too many people in too small an environment. Einstein's apartments are nice, but Cornell's dorms are the best.

Cornell's dorms are only for the first year (unless you're married, and then you never have to live in them). If I remember correctly, they don't show you the apartment housing when you interview, just dorms.

The apartments are VERY nice, considering the type of housing you'd get for the same price if you lived off campus in the surrounding area. Very roomy and full of light...it's MUCH nicer than my apartments in college.

The Cornell students I know DO go to the Met- in fact the school sends out emails with various low cost cultural opportunities-I'm sure other NYC schools do. Also since the housing is subsidized you can afford it- sure food is more expensive but there are rather inexpensive options. Remember Cornell students spend relatively less time in class than others so have more flexiblilty around studying and going out times.