What books do you still use (or plan on using) as an attending?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ldsrmdude

Podiatrist
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What books do you still refer to as an attending or senior resident? Or what books have you started to look at now that you didn't use before?

Members don't see this ad.

That's easy, Dr. Seuss "The Foot Book"!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
One book that I didn't have during residency that I like is "Osteomyelitis of the Foot and Ankle", edited by Boffeli. Lots of good info and tips. A relatively large portion of my surgeries are "limb salvage". May not be as beneficial for those with more elective practices

Recently got a copy of dock dockery soft tissue text, haven't looked at it much yet but seems promising for foot soft tissue procedures like flaps, etc.

Sonofa...The following was what I wrote yesterday but never got published. But good to see I am on the right page

As a soon to be attending, I think there are some great books out there that could be useful as you begin to build upon your training. Zgonis has a great book on diabetic reconstruction. Dockery & Crawford have a great book on plastic surgery. There is a zgonis/cooper book on external fixation that tells you everything you want to know about ex-fix. Bofelli just published a great book on management of osteomyelitis. Mann and Rockwood/Green are great, but the above mentioned have great pictures to really help you wrap your mind around real life situations. Yes, I understand most of these mentioned are focused on diabetic wound reconstruction, but that is where my mind is right now as I wind down my resident career and prepare for the next step. I just saw a quote about graduation : Graduation is only a concept. It is a process that goes on until the last day of your life. If you can grasp that, you'll make a difference - Arie Penovici

Reactions: 1 users
Sonofa...The following was what I wrote yesterday but never got published. But good to see I am on the right page

As a soon to be attending, I think there are some great books out there that could be useful as you begin to build upon your training. Zgonis has a great book on diabetic reconstruction. Dockery & Crawford have a great book on plastic surgery. There is a zgonis/cooper book on external fixation that tells you everything you want to know about ex-fix. Bofelli just published a great book on management of osteomyelitis. Mann and Rockwood/Green are great, but the above mentioned have great pictures to really help you wrap your mind around real life situations. Yes, I understand most of these mentioned are focused on diabetic wound reconstruction, but that is where my mind is right now as I wind down my resident career and prepare for the next step. I just saw a quote about graduation : Graduation is only a concept. It is a process that goes on until the last day of your life. If you can grasp that, you'll make a difference - Arie Penovici
Air bud, you basically just listed off the bookshelf in my office. The Zgonis, Dockery, and Boffeli books have all had a big impact on me and my work since I've been in practice. I have the Cooper ex-fix book, but don't do enough of it in my practice to have used it much.

One of the reasons I brought the topic up is because one of the biggest changes I have noticed post-residency is the lack of academics in my day-to-day. I've been working hard to keep it up and have bought subscriptions to journals, bought several textbooks, and became clinical faculty at a local medical school. I've been trying to practice what your quote speaks to, lifelong learning.

What other books have you all found beneficial? How do you keep up the academics in practice if you're not working with residents or fellows? Or how do you plan to?

Reactions: 1 user
Right now I am working on my protocols. My program didnt have the most academic of attendings, in terms of modern literature. I probably should have spent more time in clinic and less time in surgery (ended up with 1000+ cases and 1600+ procedures). Fortunately there are great clinical practice guidelines out there to help develop these protocols. Some are more helpful than others, but what is important is to be aware of these. The american academy of neurology(?) has guidelines for treatment of peripheral neuropathy. The Society of Vascular Surgeons just published a whole supplement on various wounds and guidelines. Be aware of IDSA guidelines for DFU and STI.

There are other are multiple useful books on ultrasound. Its not about studying for boards anymore, **** is real now. There are other books that have more clinical application than McGlamry

Reactions: 2 users
Right now I am working on my protocols. My program didnt have the most academic of attendings, in terms of modern literature. I probably should have spent more time in clinic and less time in surgery (ended up with 1000+ cases and 1600+ procedures). Fortunately there are great clinical practice guidelines out there to help develop these protocols. Some are more helpful than others, but what is important is to be aware of these. The american academy of neurology(?) has guidelines for treatment of peripheral neuropathy. The Society of Vascular Surgeons just published a whole supplement on various wounds and guidelines. Be aware of IDSA guidelines for DFU and STI.

There are other are multiple useful books on ultrasound. Its not about studying for boards anymore, **** is real now. There are other books that have more clinical application than McGlamry

Just echoing what yourself and Idsmrdude have said. I have both Zgonis books and the Dockery book that have been mentioned. I also really like Myersons Reconstructive complications book as it is basically a diary of his experiences over the years. Also, I use the Master techniques book by Kitaoka for a quick reference to some procedures, although it does have an ortho bias.

Thanks for the protocols links, I always like to reference these as much as possible. Another one I reference from time to time is the American college of Radiology Appropriateness criteria.