When is it worth it to withdraw?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

77fatcats

Reaction score
This is a somewhat specific situation -- I normally would never withdraw with a B.

Basically, I overloaded my workload this semester (1st of my junior year) like crazy - I'm taking 19 credit hours, all of which are science classes, and I'm also working part-time and volunteering and doing research and just have other commitments in general, which has made getting studying time difficult. All of my other grades are fine and should hopefully be all As, but I've been having some difficulty in my anatomy class. I basically started off on the wrong foot with the first exam, but I should be able to at least get a B in the class, and could possibly get an A if I somehow get high As on both of the remaining exams (though it is extremely unlikely).

I know I probably sound insanely neurotic for wanting to take the W instead of the B, but I just feel like studying for this class has consumed me and might drop my grades in the other classes. I've also been really hoping to get a strong upward trend because my first two years weren't the best. It's also annoying because I know I would be able to get an A if I had a slightly easier load, so I've been kicking myself for spreading myself out too thin, especially because this class isn't even required for me. If I withdrew I would most likely be able to get a 4.0 this semester and would just be a lot less stressed in general and be able to dedicate myself to everything else I'm working on. I would also be able to take the other anatomy track, which would suit me better and is more geared towards premeds. If I stick it through with this class, I'll probably end up with a B, and might get a B in another one of my classes because of how intensive this class and the rest of my schedule are. I'll likely need to take A&P 2 with the same teacher (its a completely online class with no access to the teacher), which might be difficult again, though anatomy isn't even required for me at all, so I could forgo it. I would be willing to take the class just to show I could get an A in the next level anatomy though.

If the one W would look bad, I'll just stick it out and go for the B and just work as hard as I can to make sure I get an A next semester and in all my other classes this semester, though this would cause a lot of stress for me. I'd be willing to do it though, if it would look better. This would mean my projected cGPA would be 3.69 sGPA of 3.59, assuming my next semester and senior year goes as planned. If the W wouldn't look that bad, then I'll be able to get a 4.0 this semester and I'd take the better anatomy track, and I'd likely end up with a cGPA of 3.71 (and sGPA of 3.61). Overall, my mental health and stress levels would be much better if I was able to take something off my plate for this semester, but I know I need to make up for my bad GPA from my first two years.

Members don't see this ad.

Normally B's aren't an issue, but given your GPA is already a bit low, I'd say the best course of action is withdrawing. you'll be able to explain yourself on your application.

Reactions: 1 user
You aren't protecting a 4.0 so there is less shame in withdrawing. Doing so while holding a total GPA of 4.0 is a less attractive situation.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You aren't protecting a 4.0 so there is less shame in withdrawing. Doing so while holding a total GPA of 4.0 is a less attractive situation.
Even if I'm not protecting a 4.0, would the W still be seen negatively? Or would 1 W not really be seen as that much of a black mark?

This is a somewhat specific situation -- I normally would never withdraw with a B.

Basically, I overloaded my workload this semester (1st of my junior year) like crazy - I'm taking 19 credit hours, all of which are science classes, and I'm also working part-time and volunteering and doing research and just have other commitments in general, which has made getting studying time difficult. All of my other grades are fine and should hopefully be all As, but I've been having some difficulty in my anatomy class. I basically started off on the wrong foot with the first exam, but I should be able to at least get a B in the class, and could possibly get an A if I somehow get high As on both of the remaining exams (though it is extremely unlikely).

I know I probably sound insanely neurotic for wanting to take the W instead of the B, but I just feel like studying for this class has consumed me and might drop my grades in the other classes. I've also been really hoping to get a strong upward trend because my first two years weren't the best. It's also annoying because I know I would be able to get an A if I had a slightly easier load, so I've been kicking myself for spreading myself out too thin, especially because this class isn't even required for me. If I withdrew I would most likely be able to get a 4.0 this semester and would just be a lot less stressed in general and be able to dedicate myself to everything else I'm working on. I would also be able to take the other anatomy track, which would suit me better and is more geared towards premeds. If I stick it through with this class, I'll probably end up with a B, and might get a B in another one of my classes because of how intensive this class and the rest of my schedule are. I'll likely need to take A&P 2 with the same teacher (its a completely online class with no access to the teacher), which might be difficult again, though anatomy isn't even required for me at all, so I could forgo it. I would be willing to take the class just to show I could get an A in the next level anatomy though.

If the one W would look bad, I'll just stick it out and go for the B and just work as hard as I can to make sure I get an A next semester and in all my other classes this semester, though this would cause a lot of stress for me. I'd be willing to do it though, if it would look better. This would mean my projected cGPA would be 3.69 sGPA of 3.59, assuming my next semester and senior year goes as planned. If the W wouldn't look that bad, then I'll be able to get a 4.0 this semester and I'd take the better anatomy track, and I'd likely end up with a cGPA of 3.71 (and sGPA of 3.61). Overall, my mental health and stress levels would be much better if I was able to take something off my plate for this semester, but I know I need to make up for my bad GPA from my first two years.
It's a common pre-med delusion that a withdrawal is somehow looking worse they even than failing a course. It's okay to withdraw especially if you were overloaded or overextended.

What admissions committees get weary about is when we see a series of withdrawals scattered about your transcripts in an otherwise excellent academic performance. That is a tip-off that someone is doing GPA protection.

Reactions: 2 users