When to update?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biotechguru

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I submitted my primary app and have started to receive my secondaries. About a week ago, my case report was published. It was not included anywhere on my primary and for a lot of schools, there is not a space on the secondary to indicate that I have a publication. When would it be acceptable to update schools with this information? Is it too early to send them an update letter shortly after submitting the secondary? Im expecting a second publication in a month or so as well, so want to be strategic about it. Any advice would be great.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
It’s way too early for updates. Schools haven’t even reviewed your completed application yet. Give them a chance and see how far you get with what you currently have submitted. If in a few months you don’t have any interviews you could submit one of your publications to rattle their memory. By the end of the semester you might want to submit another update with more news. Make sure you only submit to schools that accept updates. Good Luck this cycle.

Reactions: 2 users
Way too early, and frankly a case report isn't going to move the needle in terms of getting you an interview. Include with a larger update later in the application process.