Where do people look for jobs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluecolourskies

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anywhere else besides linkedin, indeed, and state/federal job websites?

I am looking for forensic assessment work or inpatient.

Members don't see this ad.

State and professional association listservs and websites usually have job boards/postings. I also seem to get a lot of unsolicited emails from hiring firms for certain types of positions (e.g., corrections, government, large elder care facilities).

By forensic assessment, do you mean criminal or civil? If the latter, getting signed up with IME companies and getting your name and work product out there is probably a relatively standard in-road. If the former, I'd go back to state association listservs.

USAjobs for federal jobs. I have also seen many jobs come up in my specialty listervs. I get many of the same recruiters as @AcronymAllergy as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Have you tried looking at the website of your state's forensic hospital? I can see jobs in 3 of the states in which I am licensed.

Reactions: 1 user
State and professional association listservs and websites usually have job boards/postings. I also seem to get a lot of unsolicited emails from hiring firms for certain types of positions (e.g., corrections, government, large elder care facilities).

By forensic assessment, do you mean criminal or civil? If the latter, getting signed up with IME companies and getting your name and work product out there is probably a relatively standard in-road. If the former, I'd go back to state association listservs.
Hi sorry what are IME companies? First time I have heard that acronym!

And I meant criminal.

Hi sorry what are IME companies? First time I have heard that acronym!

And I meant criminal.
WisNeuro handled the response already, but as he said, IME = Independent Medical Evaluation. IME companies are third parties that essentially "match" their panel of experts (e.g., psychologists, physicians, audiologists, etc.) with companies seeking IMEs.

For criminal work, I've seen stuff come across my state listserv. Even if not interested in that specific work, reaching out to the people making those posts might be fruitful. And as you've already identified, state facility/government websites. Maybe tracking down names of other psychologists who do the criminal assessment work you're interested in, sending them an email/giving them a call, and offering to buy them lunch to talk about how they got into it.

WisNeuro handled the response already, but as he said, IME = Independent Medical Evaluation. IME companies are third parties that essentially "match" their panel of experts (e.g., psychologists, physicians, audiologists, etc.) with companies seeking IMEs.

For criminal work, I've seen stuff come across my state listserv. Even if not interested in that specific work, reaching out to the people making those posts might be fruitful. And as you've already identified, state facility/government websites. Maybe tracking down names of other psychologists who do the criminal assessment work you're interested in, sending them an email/giving them a call, and offering to buy them lunch to talk about how they got into it.
thank you so much (to everyone too) for the great ideas! :)

I think LinkedIn is good only for IT jobs or positions that can be done remotely, right? As a baker, I couldn’t find anything there, so I gave up a while ago.

For civil work, there are IME companies, though some are better options than others. You'll want to make sure to get your full fee, the cases are in line with your expertise, and reasonable terms (turn around time for deadlines, who does what, how long do they take to pay).

You'll want to find a mentor to supervise if you don't have experience doing IMEs already. They aren't something you want to "dabble" in because of people like me, Wis, PsyDr, etc...we love the casuals bc we tear amateurish reports apart. There are all sorts of different options with IME work: document review only, review + interview, review + interview + testing (depending on the case) and more. Some will have specific questions (i.e. interrogatories) to address, others will just expect you to opine about the treatments, diagnoses, recommendations, etc. Some will specifically want to know about if one or more diagnoses apply to the case.

Be VERY WARY of any eval or request related to child custody work. It's big $$, but those are commonly nasty cases and much more adversarial and ugly than most other civil work. I've had some "backdoor" attempts to get a psych eval and only during the interview do they disclose it's related to a child custody case. I have a disclaimer in my pre-paperwork that talks about child custody and other cases that I don't see, as I'll end the eval and charge full fee and not feel bad about it.

As for criminal, I'll punt that to others because that isn't my jam.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
For civil work, there are IME companies, though some are better options than others. You'll want to make sure to get your full fee, the cases are in line with your expertise, and reasonable terms (turn around time for deadlines, who does what, how long do they take to pay).

You'll want to find a mentor to supervise if you don't have experience doing IMEs already. They aren't something you want to "dabble" in because of people like me, Wis, PsyDr, etc...we love the casuals bc we tear amateurish reports apart. There are all sorts of different options with IME work: document review only, review + interview, review + interview + testing (depending on the case) and more. Some will have specific questions (i.e. interrogatories) to address, others will just expect you to opine about the treatments, diagnoses, recommendations, etc. Some will specifically want to know about if one or more diagnoses apply to the case.

Be VERY WARY of any eval or request related to child custody work. It's big $$, but those are commonly nasty cases and much more adversarial and ugly than most other civil work. I've had some "backdoor" attempts to get a psych eval and only during the interview do they disclose it's related to a child custody case. I have a disclaimer in my pre-paperwork that talks about child custody and other cases that I don't see, as I'll end the eval and charge full fee and not feel bad about it.

As for criminal, I'll punt that to others because that isn't my jam.
I want nowhere near child custody work, either. The opportunities are there for those who want them, but it's not for the faint of heart or the risk averse, and even more so than with many other forensic areas, you're going to want to be sure you have solid training, experience, and mentorship in that area.

And agreed RE: IME companies. Some are great, others are...less so. Definitely have a solid understanding of their terms prior to signing on with any.

Reactions: 3 users
I don't know if I can fathom how many board complaints that must result in.
I used to listen to all board complaints. So many good psychologists allow parents to draw them into custody drama. They end up making a recommendation in a report, or writing a letter to a court, or witnessing to the court that results in a justified board complaint and action.