Which letters for Fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Avefenix

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to apply for Pediatric Surgery when ERAS opens in December. I learned the hard way in medical school not to rely just on a few attendings for your letters so I asked many surgeons/attendings that really know me well for LORs. ERAS requires 3 minimum ( 1 from chair or PD of current program and 2 additional ones).

I have a total of 6 on file and 1 pending. In parenthesis are the number of years they personally know me.

Program director of Current Surgery program (4 years)
Chief of Surgery of Current Surgery program (4 years)
Neonatologist (4 years)
Academic Pediatric surgeon (Professor/ PD of fellowship) (1 year)
Academic Pediatric surgeons x 2 (1 year)
Private Practice Pediatric surgeon ( 2 years)

I have not read the letters but I am good friends with their personal assistants who have told me that the letters were glowing. Do you send only the pediatric surgery ones and PD of my program or all of them?

Some general surgery attendings have volunteered to make phone calls on my behalf when the interview season starts but I don't know if only pediatric surgery attendings are allowed to. I don't know if it would be seen as a negative or positive if done. Does anyone know ?

Members don't see this ad.

use the pediatric surgery letters and letter from your PD/chief. I would not use a letter from a neonatologist.

Most programs want either 3 or 4 letters, and one will either need to be from your PD or chairman. Only use those from surgeons.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice.

As far as making phone calls, can it be general surgeons or strictly pediatric surgeons on your behalf ?

go with the academic pedi surgeons (eg a division chief) who are likely to know other PD's/ division chiefs.