Why is the AMA so spineless?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

badskittles

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've had enough of the spineless AMA that is asking for membership but does not advocate for physicians. Here are some issues: residency hours/compensation and encroachment of NP mills. EM is already dying cause our "leaders" can't back up doctors properly

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
The AMA has no authority in the accreditation of residency programs.
May I suggest that you direct your ire regarding EM toward the review committee members of the ACGME.
So what exactly does the AMA do for the physician profession ?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

They control the only real voice physicians have in the process by which CPT codes are assigned RVUs. If your specialty doesn’t have enough members who are also AMA members, your specialty loses their voice at the negotiating table for determining how much your work is worth. CMS makes the final decision, but the AMA’s RUC is the physician voice, such as it is.

How well they represent physicians in this process is, of course, a matter of much debate.

Reactions: 2 users
They're working on getting a yearly inflationary adjustment to physician payments like every other medicare category receives which would be really big if it passes

Reactions: 1 users
I am not sure I would call the AMA spineless, but they are toothless. The AMA is ultimately an advocacy organization - they lobby legislators at the federal level for policy they feel supports physicians. They also offer physician education on things like practice management, publish several journals, etc. Here is their advocacy homepage where you can see the types of things they advocate for: Health Care Advocacy. I would not say I'm a huge fan of the AMA for various reasons, but they have actually recently been increasingly engaged with legislation that restricts scope of practice for non-physician providers.

Other posters above are correct that the AMA does not have any authority over residency programs. Work hours are determined by the ACGME, and resident compensation is pretty complicated and involves things like the federal Medicare budget, in some cases state government funding/grants, and the GME folks at your hospital system.

Reactions: 2 users
As mentioned above, AMA does advocacy. They are not a union and thus lack the teeth (or drawbacks) of a union. And while many may not be happy with the AMA, they're the only large and powerful lobbying group we have. My state medical association has actually done a lot for us on the state level, but the AMA handles all the national stuff. Medicare reform? That's all going to be advocated by the AMA on our behalf and no one else.

If you want the AMA to be more effective, then become a member and tell them to speak for you. Us physicians all wishing the AMA was more effective/pushed certain points stronger is pointless if we're not members and not providing them support.

Conversely, if you ever need to find someone, the AMA are the folks to turn to. They have nothing over the CIA or FBI. After about 10 moves (I was a member while in medical school, then cancelled), they have steadfastly tracked me each time, and rather quickly, sending their "dues request," within a few weeks or so of each move it seems. Ultimately I gave in--not because it was easier to just surrender, but because Laurel Road offered an interest rate deduction if you were an AMA member and over the 10 years or so of the loan it would save me a substantial amount of money. So now I can at least complain about the AMA and have a right to complain since I pay them.

Reactions: 4 users
They're working on getting a yearly inflationary adjustment to physician payments like every other medicare category receives which would be really big if it passes
got a link to an article or something, would love to read it!