Zucker (Hofstra) Vs Einstein; Free at Both

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ScienceRoxks!

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm currently trying to decide between Hofstra and Einstein and would really appreciate your feedback.

1.For a little bit of context, Tuition is covered at both schools via scholarships, so costs would be relatively the same.

2.I currently live on Long Island and will not be moving from my current residence.

3. I'm currently interested in Emergency Medicine/ General Surgery, but obviously, these interests might change in school.

4. Hofstra's additional financial aid to cover other expenses all comes in the form of privatized loans from Northwell or other traditional loan programs (Direct Unsubsidized and Direct Grad +, both of which I hope never to use because I've saved up money for living expenses and hope to work a Per Diem job to help cover small expenses). I'm hopeful that Einstein will offer some additional aid besides free tuition (I'm not trying to be greedy; I'm extremely thankful for this opportunity; it would just be nice).

Zucker School of Medicine (Hofstra)
Pros
  • Close to home, 15-20 commute
  • Allows me to continue my current volunteer experiences and programs I'm involved in (Volunteer firefighting, Northwell EMT)
  • Innovative curriculum emphasizes hands-on learning experiences, and more patient interaction
  • Cool certificateion programs like ultrasound imaging, even MS1s seemed very proficient in these skills
  • Smaller class size (90-99) so close-knit community
  • Access to Northwell health system
Cons
  • Mandatory 8am-12pm classes
    • Lots of self Directed learning (This could be a plus, but not sure yet)
  • Possibly weaker research
  • Newer/ Less established
  • High value written exams at the end of each block that are non NBME
    • (They do offer NBME exams that are not graded)

Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Pros
  • Extremely Diverse patient population, unlike anything else in the world;
  • Exam schedule is: 1 Week Quiz/1 Week Exam/ 1 Week Break/ Repeat, meaning each matters for less
  • Students seem happy and the administration seems to be really involved in making sure students are happy because of recent probation
  • Has the potential to rise in prestige/ranks because of free tuition (Idk how much this actually matters)
  • I love NYC for what it is but also for medical training, I wonder if I am interested in EM, and if being in the city would be better
Cons
  • Longer commute (45 min-1.5 hr depending on traffic)
  • I would probably have to put aside other volunteer/ work opportunities I currently have because of the increased commute
  • Less patient exposure compared to Hofstra through first two years
  • New learning communities are untested, and I don't know if I want to be a guinea pig in these changes
Summary: Overall, I think I'm trying to figure out what would be best for my interests/ ease of life overall. I originally didn't love Einstein as much, but over time have started to really like it to about the same level. I would love to stay in NY and match levels seem pretty similar overall, unless anyone else thinks otherwise I'd love to hear your advice or thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
My vote would be Einstein if you were willing to leave Long Island, but the commute you're describing is directing my vote towards Hofstra. That commute to Einstein will not be pretty. Close to 2-3 hours of your day will go towards your commute. Hard pass if you ask me.

My vote would be Einstein if you were willing to leave Long Island, but the commute you're describing is directing my vote towards Hofstra. That commute to Einstein will not be pretty. Close to 2-3 hours of your day will go towards your commute. Hard pass if you ask me.
I really appreciate your reply. Unfortunately, I cannot leave Long Island because of a commitment to my family, and my partner would be unable to move with me to Einstein. Would you have any particular reason that you would prefer Einstein?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone, I'm currently trying to decide between Hofstra and Einstein and would really appreciate your feedback.

1.For a little bit of context, Tuition is covered at both schools via scholarships, so costs would be relatively the same.

2.I currently live on Long Island and will not be moving from my current residence.

3. I'm currently interested in Emergency Medicine/ General Surgery, but obviously, these interests might change in school.

4. Hofstra's additional financial aid to cover other expenses all comes in the form of privatized loans from Northwell or other traditional loan programs (Direct Unsubsidized and Direct Grad +, both of which I hope never to use because I've saved up money for living expenses and hope to work a Per Diem job to help cover small expenses). I'm hopeful that Einstein will offer some additional aid besides free tuition (I'm not trying to be greedy; I'm extremely thankful for this opportunity; it would just be nice).

Zucker School of Medicine (Hofstra)
Pros
  • Close to home, 15-20 commute
  • Allows me to continue my current volunteer experiences and programs I'm involved in (Volunteer firefighting, Northwell EMT)
  • Innovative curriculum emphasizes hands-on learning experiences, and more patient interaction
  • Cool certificateion programs like ultrasound imaging, even MS1s seemed very proficient in these skills
  • Smaller class size (90-99) so close-knit community
  • Access to Northwell health system
Cons
  • Mandatory 8am-12pm classes
    • Lots of self Directed learning (This could be a plus, but not sure yet)
  • Possibly weaker research
  • Newer/ Less established
  • High value written exams at the end of each block that are non NBME
    • (They do offer NBME exams that are not graded)

Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Pros
  • Extremely Diverse patient population, unlike anything else in the world;
  • Exam schedule is: 1 Week Quiz/1 Week Exam/ 1 Week Break/ Repeat, meaning each matters for less
  • Students seem happy and the administration seems to be really involved in making sure students are happy because of recent probation
  • Has the potential to rise in prestige/ranks because of free tuition (Idk how much this actually matters)
  • I love NYC for what it is but also for medical training, I wonder if I am interested in EM, and if being in the city would be better
Cons
  • Longer commute (45 min-1.5 hr depending on traffic)
  • I would probably have to put aside other volunteer/ work opportunities I currently have because of the increased commute
  • Less patient exposure compared to Hofstra through first two years
  • New learning communities are untested, and I don't know if I want to be a guinea pig in these changes
Summary: Overall, I think I'm trying to figure out what would be best for my interests/ ease of life overall. I originally didn't love Einstein as much, but over time have started to really like it to about the same level. I would love to stay in NY and match levels seem pretty similar overall, unless anyone else thinks otherwise I'd love to hear your advice or thoughts.
Short Commute time and being able to continue what you love doing point to Zucker

I really appreciate your reply. Unfortunately, I cannot leave Long Island because of a commitment to my family, and my partner would be unable to move with me to Einstein. Would you have any particular reason that you would prefer Einstein?

The patient population and non-mandatory classes. But again, that’s just my preference. If you can’t move then you can’t move. The pros I see in Einstein are minimal compared to the con of that commute.

Additionally, if you really can’t leave Long Island because of your family and partner, then that tells me even more that Hofstra is better for you. During med school you’re not going to have as much free time as you’d like for the things you like to do and the people you like to be with. Why cut that down even more by adding a 2-3 hour daily commute?

If leaving LI is not an option, Einstein really isn’t either. Congrats!!

Disclosure: I'm on the HPWL at Einstein and live on LI

I think your Pros and Cons are all very valid and it seems like you were initially more interested in Hofstra and grew to like Einstein more over time. I definitely agree that the patient population that Einstein provides is amazing but I think Hofstra has an edge because of the Northwell system, especially if you're considering staying on LI for residency and your career. If it means anything I had a similar commute on LI for college and it was super draining having to go to my lab, do research, and then wait all that time to go back home so I could rest. I think the shorter commute with Hofstra would also save a lot of time to spend with family and studying for exams (and save on gas lol).

I have friends who might be matriculating into Hofstra and they honestly love the program. Oh also don't discount the connection between Hofstra and CSHL. Absolutely incredible research powerhouse on LI with amazing discoveries that contribute to health on a huge scale. I worked at CSHL and knew a bunch of Hofstra med students who loved being able to go to med school and do research on different parts of LI since it exposed them to more people.

Whichever you choose, do not work a side job while in medical school.
Most schools forbid it and stretching yourself thin will not be best for your academic performance.
Since you will have full tuition covered, you can take out a small loan if needed for living expenses

Whichever you choose, do not work a side job while in medical school.
Most schools forbid it and stretching yourself thin will not be best for your academic performance.
Since you will have full tuition covered, you can take out a small loan if needed for living expenses
Thank you for your reply! I have not been able to find anything, at least for Hofstra, that prohibits me from holding a small per diem position where I work maybe 1-2 shifts a month doing EMS. I don't plan on funding all of my living expenses, just using it for some spending money here and there. I spoke to some students and they said it was possible if disciplined. Ideally, I'll be continuing to work my two jobs for the next few months until school starts and then live off those savings, but I am comfortable taking out some loans if that money does not last. I do appreciate your warning, though; I will confirm with the schools themselves.

Disclosure: I'm on the HPWL at Einstein and live on LI

I think your Pros and Cons are all very valid and it seems like you were initially more interested in Hofstra and grew to like Einstein more over time. I definitely agree that the patient population that Einstein provides is amazing but I think Hofstra has an edge because of the Northwell system, especially if you're considering staying on LI for residency and your career. If it means anything I had a similar commute on LI for college and it was super draining having to go to my lab, do research, and then wait all that time to go back home so I could rest. I think the shorter commute with Hofstra would also save a lot of time to spend with family and studying for exams (and save on gas lol).

I have friends who might be matriculating into Hofstra and they honestly love the program. Oh also don't discount the connection between Hofstra and CSHL. Absolutely incredible research powerhouse on LI with amazing discoveries that contribute to health on a huge scale. I worked at CSHL and knew a bunch of Hofstra med students who loved being able to go to med school and do research on different parts of LI since it exposed them to more people.
Thanks for your advice! The long commute is something I deal with now, where I travel about 1.5 hours one way every day, so about 3 hours of commuting. The other difference is right now, I take the train, while if I go to Einstein, I'd drive. I feel like I could do it, but I'm trying to figure out how much easier would my life be if I was able to just drive 15 minutes instead.

I really appreciate you letting me know about CSHL. Despite growing up on LI, I haven't known much about it so its good to know its a good powerhouse. I had heard mixed reviews from my friends, but that might be in comparison to other institutions like Cornell, NYU, Etc. It'll be something I need to look into a bit more.

Once again, thank you for your comment!

Thanks for your advice! The long commute is something I deal with now, where I travel about 1.5 hours one way every day, so about 3 hours of commuting. The other difference is right now, I take the train, while if I go to Einstein, I'd drive. I feel like I could do it, but I'm trying to figure out how much easier would my life be if I was able to just drive 15 minutes instead.

I really appreciate you letting me know about CSHL. Despite growing up on LI, I haven't known much about it so its good to know its a good powerhouse. I had heard mixed reviews from my friends, but that might be in comparison to other institutions like Cornell, NYU, Etc. It'll be something I need to look into a bit more.

Once again, thank you for your comment!

I’m not sure what you do for work now, but I can assure you that a 1.5 hour/way commute for your gap year job is not going to compare to the same commute for med school. If you’re working as an EMT you can pretty much just show up for your shift and that’s it. Being a medical student will take a much larger toll on your life and having that time will be much more valuable when you’re a student rather than now.

I highly recommend you (and pretty much anyone) do not sign up for a medical school where your commute will be that bad

Reactions: 2 users
If the OP cannot leave Long Island, I don't understand why staying with Zucker/Hofstra is a difficult choice to make. Yes, I hate commuting that takes more than 1 hour. I'm sure NYC natives are used to the LIRR trip every day in and out of Manhattan, and maybe you can figure out ways to review your lectures and notes on the way.

But aren't they starting a toll on cars into Manhattan soon? Do you really want to deal with congestion pricing or traffic?

Shorter commute = better mental health.
Yes, other articles say that driving is a salve to mental health, too. I NEVER felt that way driving around the city (or Los Angeles, San Francisco, Washington DC, Philadelphia...).

disclaimer I’m admitted to Einstein and on the WL at Zucker but I think Zucker is the clear choice here. having interviewed at both schools I think they are similar in a lot of ways. while Einstein may have a slight edge in reputation and is simply more established, if you plan on staying in NY long term Hofstra will have no issue getting you there with the northwell connections. the commute is not something you want to impose on yourself in medical school and I also think it will limit you in your participation in things like research, clubs, etc that may require after hours on campus. congrats on a great cycle!