2023-2024 Brown (Alpert)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
one positive of applying for MCAT accommodations was that i had to compile all these scores (scores of every standardized test i have ever taken) for that. it’s not too hard to access college board stuff again, as long as you have access to your email that your college board account is linked to, you can view SAT, SAT II, AP, and PSAT easily (takes like 5 mins to update password at most)

now the ACT? that’s a whole different beast (still doable but jeez they have switched servers like 2 or 3 times since i took it, took like 50 minutes to get in and you can’t even save a pdf of your score like college board so i had to SCREENSHOT THEM lol)
The problem is I no longer have access to that email :oops: oh well we shall see what happens

Members don't see this ad :)
Have the OOS people who have gotten an II had strong ties? Has anyone with an LM 73 heard back about an II?

Have the OOS people who have gotten an II had strong ties? Has anyone with an LM 73 heard back about an II?
FWIW, I got an II in September last year with a LM of 71 and no ties at all

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
OOS II received yesterday! Did not think to check on a weekend lol. Submitted 7/20, LM 77

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Does Brown pre-screen? Submitted primary 8/30. Nothing seen in junk/spam folders
Brown doesn't pre-screen secondaries! My primary was verified the first day and for me, it took about 3 weeks to receive the secondary.

Hi everyone! Current M1 here so feel free to ask me any questions about Brown or admissions stuff. Certainly not an expert but I will try my best! Good luck to everyone :)

Hi everyone! Current M1 here so feel free to ask me any questions about Brown or admissions stuff. Certainly not an expert but I will try my best! Good luck to everyone :)
Hey, thanks for offering to answer some questions! I’m interviewing with Brown tomorrow but there’s very little information about the interview itself. Is it one on one or MMI? Also, what would you say are some unique aspects of Brown that separate it from other schools? :)

Thanks for offering your insight. How do you like the program so far? Does Brown prefer Letters of Interest? Do they seem to have a heavy interest in research or clinical experience?

Hey, thanks for offering to answer some questions! I’m interviewing with Brown tomorrow but there’s very little information about the interview itself. Is it one on one or MMI? Also, what would you say are some unique aspects of Brown that separate it from other schools? :)

Sorry I missed this, I hope your interview went well! For other people interviewing, it is 2 one-on-one interviews with Brown faculty. Very chill and definitely not trying to trick you. Some unique aspects of Brown are definitely the pre-clinical electives. I would look those up on the website and see ones you might be interested in. We are also affiliated with every major hospital in Rhode Island, and because we are the only medical school in the state, there is a wealth of resources as far as learning in the hospitals. There is virtually no competition for spots for shadowing or rotation sites. Also, all of the clinical rotations are easily within driving distance, so you will never have to relocate during the clinical years unless you want to for an away rotation. We have a very strong international clinical elective rotation program as well.

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks for offering your insight. How do you like the program so far? Does Brown prefer Letters of Interest? Do they seem to have a heavy interest in research or clinical experience?

Hi, I am so happy with the program so far. I feel that I am getting a fantastic education from the professors. We have small groups a few times a week that are lead by MDs taking time out of their day to come and teach us. It makes a world of difference having small group interactions with pathologists that can answer any question about histology as you look at the slides together, for instance. Most lectures are not required, so I like having that flexibility. TONS of help to discern specialties- they are always hosting panels and meetings for different specialites to talk with attendings. TONS of mentorship as well from faculty, students, and community members. Not sure on the letters of interest- I think I sent one?

Some people have lots of research experience and some people have lots of clinical experience. Some people have never stepped foot in a research lab before coming to Brown. Just make sure you have strength in some area that you are passionate about and be prepared to talk a lot about it.

Reactions: 2 users
What's going on w Brown's post-II acceptance? According to MSAR they interviewed 174 OOS and 120 of those matriculated. I assume that can't be right..?

What's going on w Brown's post-II acceptance? According to MSAR they interviewed 174 OOS and 120 of those matriculated. I assume that can't be right..?
US News has 395 interviewed and 307 accepted in last year's cycle, so a pretty high post-II acceptance rate (around 78%)

Interesting... I wonder where US News gets the data from then? Or do you think the 78% includes waitlist acceptances?
If I had to guess, the US News and MSAR data is accurate but just includes PLME baked into it. So if the PLME post-interview acceptance rate is like ~100% and it’s around 50% for non-PLME applicants, the overall acceptance rate if you include PLME ends up being somewhere in between like 78%.

Anyone who interviewed receive an actual "Complete" email? or just the "Received Secondary Application" email?

Anyone who interviewed receive an actual "Complete" email? or just the "Received Secondary Application" email?
I still have not received a secondary. I did add this school in mid-September, but dang, all of the schools got back to me with secondaries in three days or less haha.

For those who have interviewed, did they tell you when you’d hear back? Interviewing this week and wondering what the turnaround time will be

Visited one of my plme friends who showed me around the medical campus. It's nice! Makes me want an II more lol but Alpert hates non-ivy grads 😂

For those with IIs, it's a cute place! You'll enjoy it if you go

Reactions: 1 user
Visited one of my plme friends who showed me around the medical campus. It's nice! Makes me want an II more lol but Alpert hates non-ivy grads 😂

I'm another testimony of Alpert hating non-ivy grads :cryi:

• Care

I'm another testimony of Alpert hating non-ivy grads :cryi:
Does that mean non-T20s or T10s? Or actually anything not an Ivy?

Does that mean non-T20s or T10s? Or actually anything not an Ivy?
Idk I've heard brown specifically loves Ivies but I can't imagine Stanford or mit hurt lol my state school is ranked outside the top 150 so in either case I am not good enough for brown, despite being brown ಠ⁠︵⁠ಠ

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Idk I've heard brown specifically loves Ivies but I can't imagine Stanford or mit hurt lol my state school is ranked outside the top 150 so in either case I am not good enough for brown, despite being brown ಠ⁠︵⁠ಠ
Curious what the source is for this supposed Ivy bias? This is news to me and I don't see it being particularly advantageous for the school. Their class of 2027 profile also says their 144 matriculants are from 52 colleges and universities suggesting their non PLME students (~90) are from a big set of schools.

(Not trying to challenge/debate, just genuinely curious)

Curious what the source is for this supposed Ivy bias? This is news to me and I don't see it being particularly advantageous for the school. Their class of 2027 profile also says their 144 matriculants are from 52 colleges and universities suggesting their non PLME students (~90) are from a big set of schools.

(Not trying to challenge/debate, just genuinely curious)
Fully anecdotal!

If it is true it's honestly such a cringe policy lol imagine effectively being judged for your medical school candidacy by the student/person you were in high school.

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
FWIW, I interviewed here last year coming from a state school outside the top 100

Yeah but you don't count Fern we all know you're a top dawg
If I was really a top dawg I'd be an M1 at Alpert right now 😪 and you're the one with double digit IIs between the two of us

• Care
Yeah from your IIs you seem to have a mid app. You only got IIs from half the T20s and not one of them is Ross or St. George’s or the American University of the Caribbean.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users