2023-2024 Western University of Health Sciences (Pomona, California)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello All! OMS1 at this school here. Ive been trying to respond to as many of your questions as I can.. one applicant reached out with a really concise list of questions that I answered to the best of my ability. They are listed below. Disclaimer: Im just one student and just one opinion :) hope everyone is staying safe and sane throughout the application process!

Is it P/F for preclinical? What about clinical?
-No and no. They have an honors, high pass, pass, no pass system which essentially equates to ABCF system. Cut offs are higher too for getting honors (93%) and high pass (85%). One of my main complaints with the school.

Are lectures mandatory in person? Or are they recorded?
-No most lectures are not mandatory in person. You have mandatory in person OMM, CMR, and anatomy lab and some rare exceptions of in person lectures at the lecture hall but majority of curriculum is either pre recorded or live zoom (which is recorded for those who dont want to attend synchronously)

Is it systems based curriculum?
-yes. two-pass systems-based. first year focuses on normal function of systems with some common diseases sprinkled in during CMR. 2nd focuses on pathology of the systems

Besides lab, is there anything mandatory in person?
-some lectures, probably 1-2 per block. You also get case discussions during the FOM blocks that are mandatory in person usually, but you also only get 1-2 per block. You also occasionally have CMR workshops with ultrasound or suturing etc

How many tests are there per block/semester? Any quizzes? Are the tests board style qs?
-no quizzes currently (at least for first year). one multiple choice didactic final per block for shorter blocks. one midterm and final for longer blocks. you also have 1-2 Sp encounters/osces, OMM practical and anatomy practical which typically occur during assessment week at the end of block. Tests are somewhat board style adjacent... but mostly based on in house lectures. Not sure how/if that changes in second year when theyre prepping you more for boards. They do try to emphasize board relevant material though throughout the curriculum.

What days are test usually given?
-varies. no hard rule on this. I mentioned most exams fall in an assessment week which is always at the end of the block. Your didactic final is always on the last day of that week (thursday typically). your other exams (OSCE, OMM/anatomy practical) are spread out throughout that week. This is tough to get used to and is honestly taxing every single time.. especially the first one. but if you stay on top of material throughout the block it makes it easier.

What is their remediation policy?
-Its great! Most exams are must pass barrier exams, however you are always given the chance to retake if you fail. If you fail the retake you have to remediate over summer. Not to sure on the details of that process. Many students fail exams, but few fail retakes and have to remediate. If you fail remediation you can repeat the year. They cannot dismiss you for failing unless youve failed two entire years (or you have professionalism issues/break code of conduct which is very rare).

Is there dedicated time to study for boards?
-yes during your second year. think its a couple months

Do u like the school? What’s ur fav and least fav part?
-love the school! most people are pretty happy with it. Fav part is probably the generous remediation policy and very flexible curriculum with only 2-3 days of mandatory in person classes.
Also the people!! Faculty are very respectful of your time and only require you to be on campus if its absolutely necessary. Least favorite would probably be the area or the grading system which i explained elsewhere..

I heard the area where the campus is isn’t so safe. How do they address that?
-Soo Pomona is def one of the more low income/slightly dangerous cities in the greater area. However campus is pretty safe. They have security in front of almost every building. They also have off duty armed police officers. There was one rare incidence of a student being assaulted on campus by a non-student. Also one student got the wheels stollen of their car in the parking lot. But these types of incidents can occur in any city nowadays tbh. Many students live at the daumier which is right on campus (literally a stones throw from our main lecture hall). Probably the safest option if you wanna live in pomona since theres security nearby 24/7 i believe. I opted not to live there since I wanted some separation from school and personal life/living situation.
The city of Pomona itself is getting kinda gentrified. Downtown is a pretty cool little historic area. Feels safe for the most part, though I would still be careful at night. Theres a couple pretty cool music venues (glass house and fox theatre). Also an arcade bar and some pretty good mexican places and a pho place.
Phillips ranch is also in pomona which is a nice little suburban area. Theres a couple other nice suburban neighborhoods where some students live. The rest of pomona though is pretty low income and I wouldnt travel there most of the time especially at night. If you follow general safety principles though youll do just fine!
The remainder of the students live in the surrounding communities (like claremont and chino hills). These areas are def nicer/higher income and safer overall. Also more expensive.

Hope this helps some of you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
I just got the applications still with campus email. at this point just reject me already 😂

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an interview invite!

• Wow
Reactions: 6 users
Was very surprised to see a IS II this morning. LM is 62. I did send update regarding first author publication so not sure if that played a role since I sent it almost 3 months ago lol

Reactions: 1 user
Ended up declining my II after all, it was a tough decision but I'm hoping to get off the WL at other programs that I think I am a stronger fit for. I hope this presents an opportunity for one of y'all to get an II/get off the WL or alternate list! Good luck everyone, cannot wait to call you all my physician colleagues in the future!

Reactions: 9 users
Interviewed 3/05, waitlisted 3/19, accepted 4/18. This was my second round of applications and my first and only interview this cycle. Super happy!

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
Interviewed 3/05, waitlisted 3/19, accepted 4/18. This was my second round of applications and my first and only interview this cycle. Super happy!
Did you send any letters of interest? I got wait listed in February after an end of January interview but haven't gotten off WL.

interviewed 4/11 - when do u think we’ll hear back? also, is it only for WL or AL spots?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you send any letters of interest? I got wait listed in February after an end of January interview but haven't gotten off WL.
Yes, I submitted a letter intent clearly stating that I will attend this school if I get accepted and gave them an application update as well in that letter since I started a new job.

interviewed 4/11 - when do u think we’ll hear back? also, is it only for WL or AL spots?
It's probably for both WL or AL depending on how they rank it.

May and June is supposed to have a lot more waitlist movement.

Yes, I submitted a letter intent clearly stating that I will attend this school if I get accepted and gave them an application update as well in that letter since I started a new job.

It's probably for both WL or AL depending on how they rank it.

May and June is supposed to have a lot more waitlist movement.
I just talked with an administrator for admissions today and they said for people who have recently interviewed/are going to interview there is still a chance of receiving an A. They wouldn’t be conducting anymore interviews if there weren’t seats open.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Hello All! OMS1 at this school here. Ive been trying to respond to as many of your questions as I can.. one applicant reached out with a really concise list of questions that I answered to the best of my ability. They are listed below. Disclaimer: Im just one student and just one opinion :) hope everyone is staying safe and sane throughout the application process!

Is it P/F for preclinical? What about clinical?
-No and no. They have an honors, high pass, pass, no pass system which essentially equates to ABCF system. Cut offs are higher too for getting honors (93%) and high pass (85%). One of my main complaints with the school.

Are lectures mandatory in person? Or are they recorded?
-No most lectures are not mandatory in person. You have mandatory in person OMM, CMR, and anatomy lab and some rare exceptions of in person lectures at the lecture hall but majority of curriculum is either pre recorded or live zoom (which is recorded for those who dont want to attend synchronously)

Is it systems based curriculum?
-yes. two-pass systems-based. first year focuses on normal function of systems with some common diseases sprinkled in during CMR. 2nd focuses on pathology of the systems

Besides lab, is there anything mandatory in person?
-some lectures, probably 1-2 per block. You also get case discussions during the FOM blocks that are mandatory in person usually, but you also only get 1-2 per block. You also occasionally have CMR workshops with ultrasound or suturing etc

How many tests are there per block/semester? Any quizzes? Are the tests board style qs?
-no quizzes currently (at least for first year). one multiple choice didactic final per block for shorter blocks. one midterm and final for longer blocks. you also have 1-2 Sp encounters/osces, OMM practical and anatomy practical which typically occur during assessment week at the end of block. Tests are somewhat board style adjacent... but mostly based on in house lectures. Not sure how/if that changes in second year when theyre prepping you more for boards. They do try to emphasize board relevant material though throughout the curriculum.

What days are test usually given?
-varies. no hard rule on this. I mentioned most exams fall in an assessment week which is always at the end of the block. Your didactic final is always on the last day of that week (thursday typically). your other exams (OSCE, OMM/anatomy practical) are spread out throughout that week. This is tough to get used to and is honestly taxing every single time.. especially the first one. but if you stay on top of material throughout the block it makes it easier.

What is their remediation policy?
-Its great! Most exams are must pass barrier exams, however you are always given the chance to retake if you fail. If you fail the retake you have to remediate over summer. Not to sure on the details of that process. Many students fail exams, but few fail retakes and have to remediate. If you fail remediation you can repeat the year. They cannot dismiss you for failing unless youve failed two entire years (or you have professionalism issues/break code of conduct which is very rare).

Is there dedicated time to study for boards?
-yes during your second year. think its a couple months

Do u like the school? What’s ur fav and least fav part?
-love the school! most people are pretty happy with it. Fav part is probably the generous remediation policy and very flexible curriculum with only 2-3 days of mandatory in person classes.
Also the people!! Faculty are very respectful of your time and only require you to be on campus if its absolutely necessary. Least favorite would probably be the area or the grading system which i explained elsewhere..

I heard the area where the campus is isn’t so safe. How do they address that?
-Soo Pomona is def one of the more low income/slightly dangerous cities in the greater area. However campus is pretty safe. They have security in front of almost every building. They also have off duty armed police officers. There was one rare incidence of a student being assaulted on campus by a non-student. Also one student got the wheels stollen of their car in the parking lot. But these types of incidents can occur in any city nowadays tbh. Many students live at the daumier which is right on campus (literally a stones throw from our main lecture hall). Probably the safest option if you wanna live in pomona since theres security nearby 24/7 i believe. I opted not to live there since I wanted some separation from school and personal life/living situation.
The city of Pomona itself is getting kinda gentrified. Downtown is a pretty cool little historic area. Feels safe for the most part, though I would still be careful at night. Theres a couple pretty cool music venues (glass house and fox theatre). Also an arcade bar and some pretty good mexican places and a pho place.
Phillips ranch is also in pomona which is a nice little suburban area. Theres a couple other nice suburban neighborhoods where some students live. The rest of pomona though is pretty low income and I wouldnt travel there most of the time especially at night. If you follow general safety principles though youll do just fine!
The remainder of the students live in the surrounding communities (like claremont and chino hills). These areas are def nicer/higher income and safer overall. Also more expensive.

Hope this helps some of you!
Thanks for the detailed post. Appreciate your help.

ended up withdrawing my interview here, good luck to all, this is a great program

Does anyone have any insight as to the differences between this school and TUCOM besides the obvious (location/grading system etc)

Does anyone have any insight as to the differences between this school and TUCOM besides the obvious (location/grading system etc)
Not much insight, but I was told by past students that if you want to match in Norcal/Bay Area, you have a better shot with TUCOM. If you want to match in SoCal, you should go with Western. This is what I was told so cannot confirm if this is 100% accurate, definitely would look to others to chime in tho!

Post II or pre II? But I’m so sorry :( everything happens for a reason or atleast that’s what I tell myself, it’s their loss
Pre II, I think it may be related to me accepting my waitlist position at the Oregon campus since I got the email an hour or so later. But I completely agree, everything happens for a reason. Good luck to everyone else still waiting to hear back!!

interviewed 4/11— is it too late to add a LOI or would it still have an impact on admissions decisions? Also any 4/11 interviewers get a response yet?

interviewed 4/11— is it too late to add a LOI or would it still have an impact on admissions decisions? Also any 4/11 interviewers get a response yet?
I interviewed 4/11 and have not heard back yet!

Hello! I am currently on WL for this school and am very interested in talking to a current student, especially if they know a bit about clinical rotations too! If there’s anyone who’s willing to hop on a call or even show me around campus a little please let me know, I’d be super grateful ☺️

probably a good time to send it if it's your top school

Perfect. Does anyone know how a LOI should be formatted? Like how long should it be and what exactly should it consist of? Any pointers would be appreciated thanks yall :)

I am planning on visiting the campus in mid May. Are there planned tours available of the college the weekend of May 17th-19th ? I see there is a preview day on June 15th. I may not be able to travel then and hence was planning the May tour. What else should I plan on doing during my visit to Pomona campus. Offcourse would like to visit apartments for rent in and around Pomona. Any other inputs from current students is highly appreciated.

Last edited:
Interviewed 4/11–>AL today, LM 68. Gonna decline since last year and year before barely had movement :( gg guys

wait it says “reply to alternate status offer” in the portal but my letter says WL? which one is it 😂

Last edited:
wait it says “reply to alternate status offer” in the portal but my letter says WL? which one is it 😂
Went back a few pages and found the answer to my own question (lol). the letter indicates whether you are WL or AL.

It should be ok but based off of last years thread, the school interviewed really late then too and didnt really have much movement.
There is usually a lot of WL movement here. Remember there are a ton of applicants who don't really use SDN as well. Id estimate maybe half of current students are from the WL? Just wait there should be a lot of WL movement come may/june/july when people start committing elsewhere and notifying western. Lot of people get accepted early in the cycle, are forced to pay huge deposits, and dont decline the A until the very end when they hear back from all the schools. Makes sense when you have already sunk a bunch of time and money in tbh

Reactions: 4 users
I'm pretty sure April 30th is the deadline to narrow down you acceptances to only 1 for AAMC. For AACOMAS, after May 1 they report to schools the names of people with multiple acceptances, where a school can then withdraw there acceptance offer if someone have put their deposits down for two schools.

Last edited:
Tho
I'm pretty sure April 30th is the deadline to narrow down you acceptances to only 1 for AAMC. So any one with an MD acceptance and Western acceptance would have to withdraw Western by April 30th. For AACOMAS, after May 1 they report to schools the names of people with multiple acceptances, where a school can then withdraw there acceptance offer if someone have put their deposits down for two schools.
Those deadlines are just for AMCAS-participating schools, no one is required to withdraw DO As on that date since AACOMAS and AMCAS are independent from one another. However you’ll probably start to see waitlist movement after that date when people on MD waitlists get accepted and decline their DO As

I know the likelihood of getting an II is slim to none at this point, but I’m wondering if anyone else is still receiving the automated “application still with committee” emails?

Does anyone know if western is pretty open to taking a research year or a extra year for a MPH or other masters

Does anyone know if AACOMAS has a “choose your medical school” tool like AMCAS? Heard May 1st is the deadline to narrow down to 1 A for DO schools but not seeing any CYMS tool.

Does anyone know if western is pretty open to taking a research year or a extra year for a MPH or other masters
WesternU has an OMM fellowship program where you take 5 years to graduate and your last year is a research/teaching fellowship focused on OMM. You also get free tuition 3rd and 4th year, and a stipend during your fifth. Heres a quote from their website "Fellows receive a full tuition/fees waiver the third and fourth years and an annual stipend for their fifth year, payable monthly. There is no tuition charged the fifth year, only a graduation fee." You apply for this program during fall of OMS II.
They also have a masters in public health that you do in collaboration with claremont colleges. You have to pay additional tuition and additional classes throughout the 4 years, but you do still graduate in 4 years.
As far as just taking time off from classes to do research, don't think thats a thing here.

I know the likelihood of getting an II is slim to none at this point, but I’m wondering if anyone else is still receiving the automated “application still with committee” emails?
🙋‍♀️this process is torture

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Any 4th year students willing to speak about their experience on the thread? I would love to hear about Western's availability of rotations and how the process of selecting rotations went.

Does anyone know the exact breakdown for their estimated budgets? Their website is confusing me because it lists the estimated budgets for “Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine/Pomona Campus” and another estimate for “Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine (OMM)/Pomona Campus.” The tuitions listed in both are exactly the same but the amounts for living expenses, transportation, etc are different? Thanks!

Is there a day when people will have to fully commit to the school and drop other acceptances they may have placed deposits at coming up?
Usually people narrow down to a single acceptance if they have mutiple for both MD and DO, hence creating the notorious WL movement in May. I believe the MD cycle only lets you hold 1 Acceptance by May 1st.

Per AACOMAS directly:
"After May 1, AACOMAS reports to each institution the names and candidates for its entering class who hold an acceptance(s) at additional institutions. An osteopathic medical college may rescind an offer of admissions to a candidate who has paid deposits to or holds positions at multiple institutions."

For people that dropped acceptances to DO schools how did you do it? I know the deadline is today but there is no option to withdraw on the portal.