• Forums Updates - Tuesday at 1:00 AM Eastern
    We will be performing some system maintenance on Tuesday, June 11 starting around 1:00 AM Eastern. The forums will be unavailable for approximately one hour.

Applying to Endodontic Residency This Summer. Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LFA20

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your experience and clinical skills are good but the low class rank will be disqualifying for some programs. They may list a cutoff on their website or just internally use it to filter out applications. I wouldn’t worry about individual course grades just have an answer ready if they were to ask.

Generally programs like military docs and experience. You’ll probably still get some interviews but don’t be discouraged if it takes more than 1 cycle to get in, it’s just really competitive. Join AAE, be active in an Endo study club, hands-on CE, etc may also help. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Your military experience is definitely a positive and will get you a few interviews. I'd retake the ADAT if you can. You should shoot for a 600+. I don't think it'll move the needle much in terms of making up for the GPA you had in dental school, but at least it would give you a talking point if the topic of your GPA comes up during interviews. I think having both a low GPA/rank and low ADAT would only be a double negative for you.

I agree with what the other person said. Join AAE, network, get some good letters from endodontists that have worked with you and have seen your work, CE, shadow in endodontic depts at schools. Try to do research with endo. Get as involved as you can.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your military experience is definitely a positive and will get you a few interviews. I'd retake the ADAT if you can. You should shoot for a 600+. I don't think it'll move the needle much in terms of making up for the GPA you had in dental school, but at least it would give you a talking point if the topic of your GPA comes up during interviews. I think having both a low GPA/rank and low ADAT would only be a double negative for you.
I agree with what the other person said. Join AAE, network, get some good letters from endodontists that have worked with you and have seen your work, CE, shadow in endodontic depts at schools. Try to do research with endo. Get as involved as you can.

Thanks for the advice!

Some of my friends were asked in interviews if they read current endo literature. It’s a good idea to read up on some articles to discuss if it comes up. They were also asked if they were members of the AAE.

Good luck, shipmate!

A9742632-CEEE-4100-883E-42F095684FBC.png

Big Hoss
Terminal LT

I am applying for 2022-2023 cycle:

- Graduated in 2018. Will have 5 years of experience in the military. Did a good number of pulpectomies and some obturations. Pretty comfortable accessing every type of tooth in the mouth (except thirds).

- Final Cumulative GPA: 3.53
- Final Cumulative Rank: 53/81

- My first year rank was 24/83 with 3.68 GPA lol..
- Biomedical Science courses(gross anat, histo, physio, biochem, microbio, neuro, oral path, pharm) are almost all A's with one or two B+..
- My pre-clinical lab classes are mostly B's and B+(fixed pros, operative).

- Got 3 C's and a lot of B's during my 3rd and 4th year mainly because I only did the minimum number of cases to graduate and also had senioritis a bit. Operative, fixed pros, peds clinic, endo clinic, perio , and removable during my 4th year add up to whopping 50+ credits and these are all based on number of cases you do and/or people you know ;) This really brought my GPA/rank down.

I am not sure what courses do program directors focus on but hopefully not just final cumulative GPA...

- ADAT : 510 overall
- 580 biomedical sciences
- 470 clinical sciences
- 450 data and research interpretations.

Applying to around 18 schools.

Any advice is appreciated.
They don’t really focus on the courses. Just your rank honestly. It’s just a box they check. LOR, experience, and who you are get you in. But you gotta check the boxes to get an interview. The class rank will eliminate you from a handful of programs. But your military background will probably help land you some interviews.

thanks for the advice

Just wondering though. Programs that have the GPA/rank requirement usually say:

“Minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 (4.0 scale) or equivalent, or a cumulative ranking in the top 50% of the applicant’s dental school graduating class.”

Should I even bother applying to those programs if I don’t meet both condition? Like my GPA is 3.53 but my rank is top 65%… or I guess you could say bottom 50%

Still apply. Even with the class rank a lot of programs will probably second glance it because of the military. It really depends on the program though.

Even with the class rank a lot of programs will probably second glance it because of the military.
This.

Peds dentist here, but most of my Navy friends went the endo route. Watching and talking with them, it seems that programs really factored in their military experience. A sizable number of endo faculty were veterans themselves, so I was told.

As far as applying to schools that have posted certain application requirements or minimums, I’d just apply anyways. I had a friend who didn’t take the ADAT, but still got interviews at places that “required” it. They didn’t even ask him about it.

Big Hoss

Reactions: 1 users
This.

Peds dentist here, but most of my Navy friends went the endo route. Watching and talking with them, it seems that programs really factored in their military experience. A sizable number of endo faculty were veterans themselves, so I was told.

As far as applying to schools that have posted certain application requirements or minimums, I’d just apply anyways. I had a friend who didn’t take the ADAT, but still got interviews at places that “required” it. They didn’t even ask him about it.

Big Hoss
same with me. I never took the ADAT as I was sick of spending time/money on more BS tests after dropping few thousand on the WREB.

still interviewed at programs that wanted it

Reactions: 1 users