CCOM or Western?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

puppylove

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been trying to do research on the internet comparing these two schools, but have been unable to find anything decent. I have to make my decision within the next few days and I am so confused. They both sound like great schools. I eventually want to end up in Cali, but I want to make sure I go to the school that will give me more opportunities in terms of residencies. Any thoughts? Thank you all for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

puppylove said:
I have been trying to do research on the internet comparing these two schools, but have been unable to find anything decent. I have to make my decision within the next few days and I am so confused. They both sound like great schools. I eventually want to end up in Cali, but I want to make sure I go to the school that will give me more opportunities in terms of residencies. Any thoughts? Thank you all for your help.

Check out the residency match lists for both schools to get an idea of where graduates go; I'm sure you've done this already. I think a lot of the decision will also be based on where you feel comfortable. CCOM is a very solid school, with perhaps a stronger reputation, and if you wanted to return to California after graduation, I'm sure you could (there are many examples, some of them notable). Western is also good and the one that I would personally choose, but what's important to me might not be to you. It's difficult to make a bad decision with your choices. You said you haven't found "anything decent" in terms of information on the two schools; what kind of info are you looking for in particular? Good luck.

Thank you for the quick reponse. What I meant by "anything decent" was board scores and passing rates, educational reputaion, and facilities/resources. I have seen both and in terms of asthetics, CCOM wins, but of course thats unimportant. I am from chicago, so I have heard much more about CCOM than Western. CCOM, to me, sounds like a very strong school, yet I am still at a loss comparing it to Western. Why would you choose Western?

Members don't see this ad :)
puppylove said:
Thank you for the quick reponse. What I meant by "anything decent" was board scores and passing rates, educational reputaion, and facilities/resources. I have seen both and in terms of asthetics, CCOM wins, but of course thats unimportant. I am from chicago, so I have heard much more about CCOM than Western. CCOM, to me, sounds like a very strong school, yet I am still at a loss comparing it to Western. Why would you choose Western?

I, personally, would choose Western primarily because I have family in California. Also, I have interests in internal medicine subspecialties, and Western graduates have placed at decent spots in California to do internal medicine over the years--there is a precedence for this, look at the match lists of the past few years. I didn't visit CCOM because while I knew it was a very strong program I wanted to stay closer to family and I felt that I could obtain my career goals--internal med. subspecialty--by going to Western. Overall though, I think that CCOM has a better national reputation (definitely a better mid-west/east reputation, which is where many DOs practice) and it shows in their match list. I didn't analyze it extensively but I would feel confident to say you'd find more placements in ultra-competitive specialties; take a look to be certain. I know CCOM gave you a copy of theirs; if you need western's for the past few years let me know.

As far as Western's hospitals, I hope current students comment on those and other aspects of Western. I do know that Western's affiliations have changed over the years, but the consistent placing of students at certain sites (such as usc, loma linda, ucla, uci) indicates that these programs hold western in good regard.

Western's exterior was not initially very appealing to me either, but I got over that; plus, there is a renovation in the pipeline that should beautify it a bit:
http://www.westernu.edu/news/landscape.xml

I never asked a legitimate source about the school's board scores, because I felt that the placing of students in good residency positions was an indication that there is nothing--at least flagarantly--wrong with them. Having said that, I would not be surprised if CCOM had higher scores and passing rate.

If you want to eventually go into family practice, cardiology, hematology, etc. AND you want to do your residency in California, I think it's a safe bet to go with western. I don't feel like I said much of anything useful; let's see what others say.

Just keep in mind when comparing match lists & location: Many people who chose Western did so to stay in California (like many other DO school students choosing their schools to stay close to their families). They probably want to do residency in CA and rank CA programs high on their list. So it's not very wise to just look at the match list and say "Oh, x amount of people matched in CA so my chances to stay in CA are better". Keep in mind that many students from other programs don't want to move to CA and apply to other locations and would have a great shot at getting into a CA program. I think Western has a strong program and I chose to go there; in the end you won't have a problem getting a CA residency if you do well at any school and boards (just like you'd have to do at Western). Good luck!

For a while, my friend was in the same situation as you in deciding between CCOM and Western. She ended up getting into her MD state school at the last minute and ended up going there, but she did ALOT of research on the schools and would have gone to Western because it was an overall better program with respect to board scores, match list reputation, etc. Also, I am thinking about going the DO route and had the chance to shadow DO’s in an internship that I did and they all spoke VERY highly of Western Grads. Well, hope that helps, I think both are terrific schools, but Western is the better choice. Good Luck. :)

stephanie83 said:
For a while, my friend was in the same situation as you in deciding between CCOM and Western. She ended up getting into her MD state school at the last minute and ended up going there, but she did ALOT of research on the schools and would have gone to Western because it was an overall better program with respect to board scores, match list reputation, etc. Also, I am thinking about going the DO route and had the chance to shadow DO’s in an internship that I did and they all spoke VERY highly of Western Grads. Well, hope that helps, I think both are terrific schools, but Western is the better choice. Good Luck. :)
Wow you made a new SDN account just to say that? Sounds like you're a current COMP student in defense mode :eek: or maybe you did just make a new account and make your first post the one above :rolleyes: :laugh:

superflyDO said:
Wow you made a new SDN account just to say that? Sounds like you're a current COMP student in defense mode :eek: or maybe you did just make a new account and make your first post the one above :rolleyes: :laugh:

They are not the same person.

CCOM hands down.

superflyDO said:

Another typical superflyDO thread. Why does he respond when he has nothing to say except to attack someone's post? Last time he did the same thing to my post. Like I said last time, people make positive or negative comments about schools all the time, but for superflyDO to make a negative post to purely attack someone else's post, this has to be a new low on SDN.

To the OP, there are pros and cons but just go with your gut feeling on where you could see yourself spending 4 years living. Good luck.

I agree, each school has its pros and cons... weigh them yourself with what's most important to you and you can make a solid choice. ALL schools have pros and cons and it depends on what's important to you. Good luck with your decision. :luck:

Wow, I am so impressed with all of your responses and your concern. Thanks for helping me as much as you can.

newlife said:
I, personally, would choose Western primarily because I have family in California. Also, I have interests in internal medicine subspecialties, and Western graduates have placed at decent spots in California to do internal medicine over the years--there is a precedence for this, look at the match lists of the past few years. I didn't visit CCOM because while I knew it was a very strong program I wanted to stay closer to family and I felt that I could obtain my career goals--internal med. subspecialty--by going to Western. Overall though, I think that CCOM has a better national reputation (definitely a better mid-west/east reputation, which is where many DOs practice) and it shows in their match list. I didn't analyze it extensively but I would feel confident to say you'd find more placements in ultra-competitive specialties; take a look to be certain. I know CCOM gave you a copy of theirs; if you need western's for the past few years let me know.

As far as Western's hospitals, I hope current students comment on those and other aspects of Western. I do know that Western's affiliations have changed over the years, but the consistent placing of students at certain sites (such as usc, loma linda, ucla, uci) indicates that these programs hold western in good regard.

Western's exterior was not initially very appealing to me either, but I got over that; plus, there is a renovation in the pipeline that should beautify it a bit:
http://www.westernu.edu/news/landscape.xml

I never asked a legitimate source about the school's board scores, because I felt that the placing of students in good residency positions was an indication that there is nothing--at least flagarantly--wrong with them. Having said that, I would not be surprised if CCOM had higher scores and passing rate.

If you want to eventually go into family practice, cardiology, hematology, etc. AND you want to do your residency in California, I think it's a safe bet to go with western. I don't feel like I said much of anything useful; let's see what others say.

Yeah, that would actually be of great help to me if you could give me the match lists for western. i tried emailing the office twice, but the emails were "undeliverable". Thanks so much again

Members don't see this ad :)
puppylove said:
Yeah, that would actually be of great help to me if you could give me the match lists for western. i tried emailing the office twice, but the emails were "undeliverable". Thanks so much again

Match list for Western, CCOM as well as other DO schools, try http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=175626

Congrat for having been accepted by both great schools. You are in a Win-Win situation. I'm sure you'll be happy with either one of them.

FYI, my daughter was in the same situation as you a few years ago choosing between CCOM and Western. She ended up going to Western and has never regretted her decision. After graduated from Western, she did her IM residency at a Loma Linda affiliated hospital. After board certified by American Board of Internal Medicine, she is doing her residency at USC's radiology department.

Good luck with your decision.

GoForIt said:
Match list for Western, CCOM as well as other DO schools, try http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=175626

Congrat for having been accepted by both great schools. You are in a Win-Win situation. I'm sure you'll be happy with either one of them.

FYI, my daughter was in the same situation as you a few years ago choosing between CCOM and Western. She ended up going to Western and has never regretted her decision. After graduated from Western, she did her IM residency at a Loma Linda affiliated hospital. After board certified by American Board of Internal Medicine, she is doing her residency at USC's radiology department.

Good luck with your decision.

So is your daughter doing a radiology residency now?

NRAI2001 said:
So is your daughter doing a radiology residency now?

Yes. As I posted, she is doing her residency at USC's radiology department. Her title is "radiology resident" working for Dr. Patrick Colletti, M.D.

I also know a few other COMP grads that is doing very well in radiology. One will be doing his muscle/bone radiology fellowship at UC Irvine, while another will be doing his muscle/bone radiology fellowship at Oklahoma University. Considering that UCI has only one muscle/bone fellowship slot and so many residents from competitive programs (MD and DO) applying for it, the very fact that this COMP class of 2001 grad was the successful candidate speaks volume about the quality of COMP's education.

COMP has produced quality phusicians year in and year out.

Thats not to say that there aren't any CCOM students in high caliber residency slots.

GoForIt said:
Yes. As I posted, she is doing her residency at USC's radiology department. Her title is "radiology resident" working for Dr. Patrick Colletti, M.D.

I also know a few other COMP grads that is doing very well in radiology. One will be doing his muscle/bone radiology fellowship at UC Irvine, while another will be doing his muscle/bone radiology fellowship at Oklahoma University. Considering that UCI has only one muscle/bone fellowship slot and so many residents from competitive programs (MD and DO) applying for it, the very fact that this COMP class of 2001 grad was the successful candidate speaks volume about the quality of COMP's education.

COMP has produced quality phusicians year in and year out.

So is ur daughter doing a completely new residency or was she able to transfer into the radiology program? Will she need to do a complete 4 years in the radiology program or will her IM residency shorten her rad residency?

NRAI2001 said:
So is ur daughter doing a completely new residency or was she able to transfer into the radiology program? Will she need to do a complete 4 years in the radiology program or will her IM residency shorten her rad residency?

Bump. Just wondering bc I am interested in both IM and radiology. That would be awesome if their was some sort of combined residency deal.

NRAI2001 said:
Bump. Just wondering bc I am interested in both IM and radiology. That would be awesome if their was some sort of combined residency deal.
It's a two year program for my daughter. She is starting on her second year and will do her fellowship next year.

When she started the IM residency, she did not know what specialty field she wanted to go into. She thought about GI, Cardio, ENT among others. Finally she decided on Rad. I guess her IM background did help her when you consider the number of applicants versus the number of open slots. FYI, USC's Rad facility is world class.

GoForIt said:
It's a two year program for my daughter. She is starting on her second year and will do her fellowship next year.

When she started the IM residency, she did not know what specialty field she wanted to go into. She thought about GI, Cardio, ENT among others. Finally she decided on Rad. I guess her IM background did help her when you consider the number of applicants versus the number of open slots. FYI, USC's Rad facility is world class.

I am thoroughly confused. Did she do a three-year Internal Medicine residency at Loma Linda, then go into Radiology at USC for four years?

I thought you had to go to Rads residency for four years...I don't know how you would be able to count Internal Medicine residency years.

Or, is she doing a Nuclear Medicine residency/fellowship? I believe that Dr. Colletti works in Nuclear Medicine...

Thanks for replying because I am very perplexed. :confused:

Nevermind....I think I figured it out.

http://www.ama-assn.org/vapp/freida/pgm/0,1238,2000521105,00.html

Dr. Colletti is the program director for the Nuclear Medicine residency at USC. So this person must have gone back to do a Nuclear Medicine residency after completing her IM residency. So she will be board certified in Internal Medicine and Nuclear Medicine when done, but not Radiology.

Radiology is a four year residency to be board certified by the American Board of Radiology. There is a Nuclear Medicine Fellowship available to radiology residency grads which is 1 year in length.

;)

As of right now I am interested in surgery or rads (who knows it may change later), but where would I have the best chance of getting a surgery residency (plastics, ortho, or general surgery) both MD and DO residencies? What school has better surgery rotations?