Davis vs. Western U (poss.)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

day.tripper

UC Davis SVM - C/O 2027
Reaction score
As the title says, still waiting to hear back from Western if I got accepted but trying to figure out what I should do. I've been on SDN before but I've always just been a lurker, decided to finally make an account and get some advice. There is a part of me hoping that Western does not accept me so that I don't have to make a choice and regret it later.
The pros I've got for Davis so far is that it is cheaper, has that DVM/PhD program which I have been really interested in (so more expensive if I go there and do that program anyways), and for those who care it tends to be viewed as somewhat prestigious. The cons are that it is about 6 hours away from where I live and from what I have heard has a very traditional, lecture-based curriculum.
In regards to Western, the pros are that it is only an hour and half from where I live, has a really interesting curriculum (problem-based learning), and some interesting opportunities for out-of-state and even out-of-country rotations if I play my cards right. The cons are that it is more expensive by tuition and it seems to be viewed as somewhat undesirable based on what I have heard from colleagues in vet med. Also, the admission team at Western seems to be doing abysmally on the communication front in my experience (have not returned any calls), which is sort of turning me away a little bit.
The doctors I've worked with have generally just been like "Well, whichever one fits you more", but one of the doctors I work with said outright that I'm basically a fool for considering Western over Davis, and overall I keep going back and forth on which I would choose. If I went to Western and got my DVM, I would probably go back to school later on to get a PhD, whereas Davis I could get into the DVM/PhD program if stuff works out. I want to work in wildlife conservation but hope that someday I could land a teaching position in academia, maybe with a research lab if I'm lucky. Davis was basically my dream school for a long time and my dad even went there but after going to Western's open house I've become really interested in their curriculum. If anyone is going to either of these schools or has considered them in the past, I could really use that insight, thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Okay well as soon as I posted this I got an email notifying me that I have an admission offer in my Western U portal so I am so super proud to get in but the dilemma remains :')

Hey! I know a bit about the Davis DVM/PhD, but my best advice would probably be to not make a decision based on its existence. It's a cool program for sure, but there's no guarantees on getting in. That being said I am still happy to try to answer any Qs you have on it!

I will note, however, that Davis has something called the STAR program for doing research over your summer breaks while getting paid a little, and would advise looking that up if interested in research.

I know approximately nothing about Western so I can't really do a good job of comparing the two. Personally, I got my vet hours in the Davis teaching hospital and knew that I wanted to go somewhere with one, rather than distributive.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! I know a bit about the Davis DVM/PhD, but my best advice would probably be to not make a decision based on its existence. It's a cool program for sure, but there's no guarantees on getting in. That being said I am still happy to try to answer any Qs you have on it!

I will note, however, that Davis has something called the STAR program for doing research over your summer breaks while getting paid a little, and would advise looking that up if interested in research.

I know approximately nothing about Western so I can't really do a good job of comparing the two. Personally, I got my vet hours in the Davis teaching hospital and knew that I wanted to go somewhere with one, rather than distributive.
Thanks for the reply, I'll look into STAR and see if maybe I can get into that. As far as the DVM/PhD program is concerned, I understand that the PhD is completed between the second and third year of the DVM; do you know if students in that program have significant difficult adjusting to a return to the DVM program after their PhD?

I also hear scholarship opportunities are a bit more diverse for Davis students than Western students, but I suppose it would be hard to compare without a perspective from a Western student too.

Thanks for the reply, I'll look into STAR and see if maybe I can get into that
STAR is essentially just a summer research rotation you get paid for. DVM/PhDs are required to apply for it, and strongly recommended that students interested in the dual degree also apply.

As far as the DVM/PhD program is concerned, I understand that the PhD is completed between the second and third year of the DVM; do you know if students in that program have significant difficult adjusting to a return to the DVM program after their PhD?
I'm not sure I can do this topic great justice. But I'd say that the transition of going back to DVM is a large adjustment at any similarly structured dual degree (dvm-phd-dvm). You give up the PhD freedom and join a group that knows each other better than they know you. I haven't explicitly heard of people having administrative issues during the swap, and I've heard they try to keep you in the loop with the class you might join.

The pros I've got for Davis so far is that it is cheaper, has that DVM/PhD program which I have been really interested in (so more expensive if I go there and do that program anyways)
Didn't comment on this earlier but the program is fully funded if you were not aware? The details are on the VSTP website. Obviously part of the trade off is dumping ~4 years into a PhD where you're barely scraping by as opposed to graduating vet school and earning money.

I'm incoming student and in the program, so I couldn't tell you not to apply if you want an academic focused career in the distant future. But the program is competitive and I will once again advise not to make decisions based on the assumption you will get in it once you are. (Edit 3/14: once you are here*)

I will say you noted that Davis is much cheaper for you. Far and away the most common advice I see given on this forum is to go to your cheapest school.

Last edited:
STAR is essentially ...
I was totally not aware the program was funded that is really good to know. Thank you for all this info, I feel a little more aware of the situation with the DVM-PhD program now.

Reactions: 1 user
I was totally not aware the program was funded that is really good to know. Thank you for all this info, I feel a little more aware of the situation with the DVM-PhD program now.
Always happy to help. And feel free to shoot a PM if you end up choosing Davis and plan to apply to dual!