Intra-Articular Hip Injections in Obese Patients

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

po_boy

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do you all approach intra-articular hip injections in obese/morbidly obese patients?

Tape/ have someone retract the pannus, and go AP?

I feel like it's difficult to retract all of the pannus in these patients, and it doesn't feel right to stick a needle through some of the pannus in AP...

Members don't see this ad.

How do you all approach intra-articular hip injections in obese/morbidly obese patients?

Tape/ have someone retract the pannus, and go AP?

I feel like it's difficult to retract all of the pannus in these patients, and it doesn't feel right to stick a needle through some of the pannus in AP...
have the MA pull back the pannus, use a 5 or 7 inch needle. it shouldnt be a problem.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I never come in AP anyway. Start at the mid inter trochanteric line and follow the neck and hit os at junction of head and neck. You start inches lateral to the neurovascular bundle. Piece of cake

Reactions: 6 users
... and don't forget to scrub away all the sub-pannicular candida. Then spend the next two weeks wondering if you seeded the joint. Its all well worth the $46.

• Haha
Reactions: 18 users
... and don't forget to scrub away all the sub-pannicular candida. Then spend the next two weeks wondering if you seeded the joint. Its all well worth the $46.
This post elicited unpleasant olfactory memories

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Hip injections are basically charity work at this point

Reactions: 4 users
Fat squeeze I have the patient retract their own pannus. 10 degrees oblique which is what I always do anyway. 5” needle if necessary.
“Here, hold this”

Big Hero 6 Belly GIF

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Can do it prone. Same technique. No pannus unless the backfat is exceptional
If they’re that big, a 7 inch might not even reach them sometimes from a posterior approach :)

Members don't see this ad :)
If they’re that big, a 7 inch might not even reach them sometimes from a posterior approach :)
Jeez, I live in the Midwest and have never had to bust out a 7” for a hip, have for LTFESI though

Contrarian stance - I don’t offer it to these patients unless they understand the point is to get them moving more. We all know an injection won’t move the needle. I refer them to bariatric medicine. They come back after losing some pounds. We build momentum. I gain their trust because every pain physician before them just injected them. Then I take care of their knee and back pain. They tell their friends and family. These people come to me already knowing the deal. The follow up visits are social ones and quite enjoyable.

Reactions: 2 users
Lateral approach is helpful here.
1713618660401.png

All joking aside…. Prone approach is very easy on these patients. Target same as in AP. Lateral head/neck junction. Granted, I send most hips to sports med to do under ultrasound and my practice is 99% spine. You lose money every time you displace a spine injection from your schedule if otherwise full. I only get the ones where they can’t see/reach target due to body habitus….. Id seriously take hubbing a 7” straight down than deal with all that comes w pannus retraction, sterility concerns, stink, out of plane trajectory despite max pannus retraction, etc.

Just do it prone. I find a lot more comfort for the patients, my outcome is the same when I went the anterior traditional approach.

That is interesting. The new doctor in my office does his gt bursa injections in the area marked in blue. He is somewhat intentionally getting iliofemoral ligament also.

IMG_0865.jpeg

I’ll do it once…..45 degrees from
Inferolateral aporoach starting distal of femoral neck, and have patient hold their own pannus. Always with fluoro.

Just do it prone. I find a lot more comfort for the patients, my outcome is the same when I went the anterior traditional approach.
You do all prone? I kind of like this idea. I switched to doing shoulder prone. Contrast looks like the same ring around femoral neck?

I send all knee/hip/shoulder joints to the sports guys. They like them and send me enough RFAs to more than make up for the minimal reimbursement

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I always do lateral. Thick or thin. Target the 2-3/9-10 o’clock position of the femoral head. Takes about 30 seconds

I don’t understand the appeal of doing hip injections with lateral approach. Setup can be extremely difficult and the hips are typically superimposed. Drop a needle down in ap, supine or prone, doesn’t matter. Whole procedure takes less than a minute.

I might do one hip injection a month. Vast majority are done in office under ultrasound. Usually get referrals for hip injections under flouro for patients with large BMI.

Reactions: 1 user
Granted, I send most hips to sports med to do under ultrasound and my practice is 99% spine. You lose money every time you displace a spine injection from your schedule if otherwise full.

Agree. I was so into sports as a resident, but much less as an attending. It just doesn’t pay.

Politically, My ortho partners want all the peripheral joints anyway. I generally comply because it keeps them happy and I make way more doing spine procedures, than CS knee injections.

The only peripheral joint/tendon procedures I routinely perform are PRP injections.

Last edited:
I feel like ultrasound hips aren't as effective. Probably operator overconfidence. I only do fluoro and a decent amount who have failed hip US respond when I do fluoro

I feel like ultrasound hips aren't as effective. Probably operator overconfidence. I only do fluoro and a decent amount who have failed hip US respond when I do fluoro

Agree.

Speaking of my ortho partners, one of them does his hips under ultrasound, and I’ve repeated several and they did great after x ray guided IA hip injections.

Nice, no risk of femoral vessels, not all up in their business. Will try
If you can’t palpate the femoral artery, maybe you shouldnt be doing injections. Contrast should be mandatory.

I don’t understand the appeal of doing hip injections with lateral approach. Setup can be extremely difficult and the hips are typically superimposed. Drop a needle down in ap, supine or prone, doesn’t matter. Whole procedure takes less than a minute.

I might do one hip injection a month. Vast majority are done in office under ultrasound. Usually get referrals for hip injections under flouro for patients with large BMI.
How is the setup difficult? I get to literally tell the patient they can be prone or supine, i dont care. Splash prep just cephalad to trochanteric bursa. One lateral image. Numb and enter while tech spins to AP angle. 3 shots later, I'm landing in the joint. Guarantee I do mine on average less than a minute as well and never once had to even consider retracting pannus, thinking about femoral artery, nerve, vein, etc. Most of my patients who have had it done anterior by the older docs tell me my way is painless in comparison (may just be trying to be nice but I doubt it).

Target hip is closer to intensifier and therefore smaller in appearance. Nothing difficult at all.

Curved probe, color Doppler on over femoral neck, avoid vessel, numbing needle touch os, inject, see it stay under the capsule, if not redirect. Tougher on fluffy pts.

I do all the mri arthrograms in our group w this method, 100% on the test so far

And to think we used to do transarterial brachial plexus blocks.. good thing everyone’s arm didn’t fall off..

I send all knee/hip/shoulder joints to the sports guys. They like them and send me enough RFAs to more than make up for the minimal reimbursement

Agree. I was so into sports as a resident, but much less as an attending. It just doesn’t pay.

Politically, My ortho partners want all the peripheral joints anyway. I generally comply because it keeps them happy and I make way more doing spine procedures, than CS knee injections.

The only peripheral joint/tendon procedures I routinely perform are PRP injections.
why do they want to do them if it pays so little?

I’ve never tried that.

Are US guided SIJ unreliable?

Likely a moot point as they now don’t pay unless flouro/CT, but regardless I don’t know much about the reliability of US SIJ injections.
I was told you cannot bill for ultrasound guided SI joints, that the procedure code implies fluoro was used.

The $ is in the 99204, not the 20610 +77002. Hip inj takes maybe 10 seconds. This shouldn’t displace a spine inj. Just added on to what’s already there. If there is some arbitrary max number on your schedule, then that’s stupid. Same with shoulders, get, ac, etc