KCU Class of 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
AFAIK, you have to stay in KC if you're doing the MBA program. There have only been a couple cases of people finishing their degrees outside of KC but they told us not to expect that as a norm.

Talked to Dubin and some others early in the year and they said you can definitely leave KC for 3rd and 4th years. I don't think many people do because a guaranteed spot here is a nice little bit of security, but from what Dr. Dubin said earlier and what Dockins said at one of the informational meetings it's not required.

Members don't see this ad.

Dual degree bioethics student (M1) here. You don't have to stay in KC for your rotations and you are not guarantee a spot in KC of you want to stay

I know that's how it was in the past, but didn't they say they were trying to change that for you all this year?

Also, sorry for :hijacked: your thread with all the info/debates. Imma take a step out for bit, but if anyone has questions feel free to PM.

Reactions: 1 user
I know that's how it was in the past, but didn't they say they were trying to change that for you all this year?

Also, sorry for :hijacked: your thread with all the info/debates. Imma take a step out for bit, but if anyone has questions feel free to PM.

Lol you didn't hijack our thread! This info helps all of us!

Members don't see this ad :)
Are there going to be any Chicago rotation spots opening up anytime soon? We have so many students from Chicago and I'd assume many will want to go back home for a while.

That would be so sick. I think there's a meeting with ms1 and ms2 about clinical rotations so I'm sure Chizled or staggs will come update us.

Talked to Dubin and some others early in the year and they said you can definitely leave KC for 3rd and 4th years. I don't think many people do because a guaranteed spot here is a nice little bit of security, but from what Dr. Dubin said earlier and what Dockins said at one of the informational meetings it's not required.

Hmm thats weird, wonder why they don't mention it. Doesn't matter if your from KC like me then you won't want to leave.

I was under the impression that those who do it have to stay in KC for third year and then have all 4th year to go wherever they would like. According to the schedule (looks like it was updated for this years class) there are quite a few courses on campus during third year. So I guess I don't quite yet buy into the fact that you're free to do third year wherever. Any text sources that say so?

http://www.rockhurst.edu/helzberg-school-of-management/health-care-leadership-mba/schedule/

Are there going to be any Chicago rotation spots opening up anytime soon? We have so many students from Chicago and I'd assume many will want to go back home for a while.

Chicago is pretty saturated with so many med schools (UIC, UChicago, Northwestern, Loyola, Rush, CCOM) so it would probably be unlikely they could secure core sites for third year. During fourth year, you're free to do rotations wherever. I've done a lot of them in Chicago so it's certainly doable as a fourth year.

Reactions: 3 users
Chicago is pretty saturated with so many med schools (UIC, UChicago, Northwestern, Loyola, Rush, CCOM) so it would probably be unlikely they could secure core sites for third year. During fourth year, you're free to do rotations wherever. I've done a lot of them in Chicago so it's certainly doable as a fourth year.

Of those Chicago schools you listed, which of them did you feel most comfortable with in terms of 4th year rotations? I'm eyeing Loyola and Rush, and UIC. Is it even worth thinking about rotating at UChicago or Feinberg?

I don't want to derail this thread, feel free to PM me though with Chicago rotation questions if you want.

Of those Chicago schools you listed, which of them did you feel most comfortable with in terms of 4th year rotations? I'm eyeing Loyola and Rush, and UIC. Is it even worth thinking about rotating at UChicago or Feinberg?

This information is current at on this January. Don't knife if things will change. They have outlined how it will with out for those who are going to be out of KC during 3rd and 4th year. I wish it could guarantee a shot in KC though

The whole year you can go wherever? Or just spring semester?

Assuming the currently requirements/policies remain the same by the time you're a fourth year, the only required fourth year rotations are EM and a Medicine or IM Subspecialty rotation. You also have to have a couple Sub-I's.

The EM and Medicine "have to be done at a core site". You can fill out an appeal form asking to have that requirement waved to do it whereever you want and provide a reason why. I haven't heard of anyone being turned down.

So yes, assuming the policies stay the same and the school grants your appeal, if you wanted, you could spend your entire third year in Chicago, or Philly, or Wherever.

Reactions: 1 users
This information is current at on this January. Don't knife if things will change. They have outlined how it will with out for those who are going to be out of KC during 3rd and 4th year. I wish it could guarantee a shot in KC though

Sorry, not trying to beat a dead horse here. But as of now, you can or cannot leave KC for 3rd year rotations if you are in DO/MBA?

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, not trying to beat a dead horse here. But as of now, you can or cannot leave KC for 3rd year rotations if you are in DO/MBA?

I don't have any info about the MBA dual degree, the information I provided was in response to the person that mentioned the DO/MA dual degree which I am enrolled in

From what we have been told so far for the MBA program it is possible to leave KC for 3rd year rotations. I think it is preferred that people stay in KC since a lot of the classes are discussion based, but people have had core sites elsewhere. If you want to stay in KC you are guaranteed a spot though, which makes the program more appealing for some (myself included).

From what we have been told so far for the MBA program it is possible to leave KC for 3rd year rotations. I think it is preferred that people stay in KC since a lot of the classes are discussion based, but people have had core sites elsewhere. If you want to stay in KC you are guaranteed a spot though, which makes the program more appealing for some (myself included).

Great, thank you.

Having a very hard time getting in contact with anyone from the admission office. Anyone else having the same issue?

Anyone know if there is somewhere that we can watch the grand round presentations that have already been recorded?

Any current MBA students find out any more information about whether this might be true?

I'm not going to read through all the previous posts, so I'm not sure if this has been answered or not, but theres basically no chance that we get spots in Chicago, or really any other major city in the next couple of years. Chicago has more medical schools than most states. Midwestern students will take up the majority of spots in Chi town. I think maybe 4 or 5 spots were added somewhere in rural arkansas, but for the most part I've heard our clinical rotations are staying the same. Things could potentially change in the future if KCUMB gets a satellite campus, but that is so far down the line that it's really not worth thinking about.

-whoever said KC is a bad rotation spot, doesn't know what they are talking about. You rotate through the St.Luke's Health system (affiliated with UMKC MD residencies), and University of Kansas hospital, as well as some other great hospitals.

The "matching" system for rotations is a lottery system. We will rank our top 3 sites (number could vary), and a computer program will generate a list that has the highest percent match.
-The number of spots fluctuate year to year, but typically there are somewhere around 100 spots for kansas city. Most of the people that rank KC #1 get it. Very few students go unmatched. For the most part, those that go unmatched did a very bad job picking sites (If you rank Denver #1, which only has like 10 spots and then West palm #2, which only has 30 or so slots, you have basically screwed yourself). It depends on where students are from/where they want to go. Things could change now that the dual degree programs are a little more flexible with location.

Anyways, I'm tired and we have a final tomorrow. I'll try to check the thread more often and I can answer questions whenever I get some free time. Everyone that is starting school in the fall, do yourself a favor and use your time to relax and enjoy life. Don't pre study, don't worry about rotation sites, and for the love of god, don't watch grand rounds.

KCUMB (not calling it KCU) is a fantastic school. The curriculum is very demanding, but you will absolutely destroy the boards. Good luck next year

Reactions: 4 users
I'm not going to read through all the previous posts, so I'm not sure if this has been answered or not, but theres basically no chance that we get spots in Chicago, or really any other major city in the next couple of years. Chicago has more medical schools than most states. Midwestern students will take up the majority of spots in Chi town. I think maybe 4 or 5 spots were added somewhere in rural arkansas, but for the most part I've heard our clinical rotations are staying the same. Things could potentially change in the future if KCUMB gets a satellite campus, but that is so far down the line that it's really not worth thinking about.

-whoever said KC is a bad rotation spot, doesn't know what they are talking about. You rotate through the St.Luke's Health system (affiliated with UMKC MD residencies), and University of Kansas hospital, as well as some other great hospitals.

The "matching" system for rotations is a lottery system. We will rank our top 3 sites (number could vary), and a computer program will generate a list that has the highest percent match.
-The number of spots fluctuate year to year, but typically there are somewhere around 100 spots for kansas city. Most of the people that rank KC #1 get it. Very few students go unmatched. For the most part, those that go unmatched did a very bad job picking sites (If you rank Denver #1, which only has like 10 spots and then West palm #2, which only has 30 or so slots, you have basically screwed yourself). It depends on where students are from/where they want to go. Things could change now that the dual degree programs are a little more flexible with location.

Anyways, I'm tired and we have a final tomorrow. I'll try to check the thread more often and I can answer questions whenever I get some free time. Everyone that is starting school in the fall, do yourself a favor and use your time to relax and enjoy life. Don't pre study, don't worry about rotation sites, and for the love of god, don't watch grand rounds.

KCUMB (not calling it KCU) is a fantastic school. The curriculum is very demanding, but you will absolutely destroy the boards. Good luck next year

Thank you, I need this. Is anyone else wanting to do nothing, but at the same time afraid you might uberly mess up one of you last classes before graduation?

Reactions: 4 users
Also, can we bring a parent to the accepted day? Or is that like a lame-o no-go/I won't be able to be in the cool group kind of thing?

Thank you, I need this. Is anyone else wanting to do nothing, but at the same time afraid you might uberly mess up one of you last classes before graduation?

Literally me right now. I have a test on Tuesday and decided to make use of my time by driving to LA and going to little Tokyo..now I'm really behind..lol.

Also, can we bring a parent to the accepted day? Or is that like a lame-o no-go/I won't be able to be in the cool group kind of thing?
A lot of people from out of town brought their parents/spouses/significant others. "Acceptance day" is really a day to hang out and familiarize yourself with the school. It's also a great time to explore Kanas city with your family. This is going to be your home. Have your parents take you out for some nice meals and go celebrate being accepted to a great school!

I know you are kidding about being cool in med school, but real talk..the sooner you stop giving a F about anyone else, the sooner you will be happy in med school. I'm not saying that you should be a jerk or that you shouldn't "care" about your friends. You definitely will need a support system and you will need help from your friends to survive. But, the number one rule in med school is taking care of Numero Uno. This is your time to be selfish. If wearing matching family reunion t shirts on acceptance day with your whole family will make you happy, go for it. You do you.

Reactions: 6 users
Things could potentially change in the future if KCUMB gets a satellite campus, but that is so far down the line that it's really not worth thinking about.

The satellite campus is not very far away and will be open by the time the class of 2019 starts rotations unless something falls through and requires current plans to change. In fact, it will be open by the time they matriculate unless plans fall through.

The satellite campus is not very far away and will be open by the time the class of 2019 starts rotations unless something falls through and requires current plans to change. In fact, it will be open by the time they matriculate unless plans fall through.

Any ideas where that campus will be?

upload_2015-2-13_11-46-31.png

This is a screenshot of information distributed to students a few months ago.

Where did you hear this?

View attachment 189356

This is a screenshot of information distributed to students a few months ago.

Hate to say it, but I talked with Dr. Dockins yesterday and he said otherwise. He said that he would have to ask Dr. Gartland (program director) to be 100% sure, but in the past students have been allowed to leave for rotations. This is because the only class for the program in 3rd year is 8-10 weeks, so there is no need to be in KC the rest of the year. It's preferred that students stay in KC for 3rd and 4th year, but he said that given we only have classes for a very brief period of time he's sure something could be worked out.

I'll update again when I get something official from Dr. Gartland, but as of right now I'd say it is possible to do rotations outside of KC if you really want to and have a good reason.

Hate to say it, but I talked with Dr. Dockins yesterday and he said otherwise. He said that he would have to ask Dr. Gartland (program director) to be 100% sure, but in the past students have been allowed to leave for rotations. This is because the only class for the program in 3rd year is 8-10 weeks, so there is no need to be in KC the rest of the year. It's preferred that students stay in KC for 3rd and 4th year, but he said that given we only have classes for a very brief period of time he's sure something could be worked out.

I'll update again when I get something official from Dr. Gartland, but as of right now I'd say it is possible to do rotations outside of KC if you really want to and have a good reason.
Your info is coming from Rockhurst. The screenshot I posted is from KCUMB. You are asking the wrong school for an answer to your question. KCUMB currently requires the dual degree MBA students to rotate in KC.

Your info is coming from Rockhurst. The screenshot I posted is from KCUMB. You are asking the wrong school for an answer to your question. KCUMB currently requires the dual degree MBA students to rotate in KC.

I'm not going to start a battle, but the admins at KCUMB (Dubin, Winslow, etc.) have been talking to rockhurst about this according to what Dr. Dockinson* and Gartland told me yesterday in class. Either way, the current policies won't matter 2 years from now as things are frequently changing.

Last edited:
I'm not going to start a battle, but the admins at KCUMB (Dubin, Winslow, etc.) have been talking to rockhurst about this according to what Dr. Dockinson* and Gartland told me yesterday in class. Either way, the current policies won't matter 2 years from now as things are frequently changing.

I agree that policies change frequently. I can state without a doubt, have provided the written policy from the school to verify, that the MBA students going through clerkship match this year were not permitted to leave Kansas City. If your dean promised you something else, that's great. KCU still has a policy available for any current student signing up for the match to read explicitly stating all MBA students stay in Kansas City, and that policy has been in effect for years. I'm not just some random person speculating on things. I have already been through that process and provided a copy of the policy to you, which is in no way ambiguous or unclear about the requirements.

Where did you hear this?

I don't think anyone at KCU will release the details openly until the school decides to announce the plans. I wish I could give a specific source, but for now the best I can do is say this has been known by faculty for months. They have been actively preparing for the new campus all year. I'm sure an official announcement will come after final approval from all the accrediting and regulatory organizations needed to move forward has been obtained.

I don't think anyone at KCU will release the details openly until the school decides to announce the plans. I wish I could give a specific source, but for now the best I can do is say this has been known by faculty for months. They have been actively preparing for the new campus all year. I'm sure an official announcement will come after final approval from all the accrediting and regulatory organizations needed to move forward has been obtained.

Is it going to be affiliated with the university in Joplin?