KCU Class of 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is it going to be affiliated with the university in Joplin?
Seems like it so far. I haven't heard anything more specific about that affiliation than what was in the newspapers a year ago.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I don't think anyone at KCU will release the details openly until the school decides to announce the plans. I wish I could give a specific source, but for now the best I can do is say this has been known by faculty for months. They have been actively preparing for the new campus all year. I'm sure an official announcement will come after final approval from all the accrediting and regulatory organizations needed to move forward has been obtained.

I'd be surprised if it's done that soon. I do remember at last year's accepted students day they said that their order of projects was the admin building (currently under construction), then the sim center (currently in the fundraising phase), then opening a satellite location in Joplin. Dr. Han gave vague timelines but I don't remember what they were. I do know that the sim center is the current priority though, and that if all goes well the current M1s may get to see it as 4th years when we return for graduation in 2018.

A second campus is definitely in the plans, but right now (from what admin has told current M1s and M2s) the timeline is still speculative.

Reactions: 1 users
Also, this thread should be for the 2019 class to hang out/talk/discuss stuff with each other, so I'm going to bounce. If anyone has questions, feel free to PM me or post in the 2018 class thread. Otherwise enjoy your spring and summer and we'll see everyone in the fall!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd be surprised if it's done that soon. I do remember at last year's accepted students day they said that their order of projects was the admin building (currently under construction), then the sim center (currently in the fundraising phase), then opening a satellite location in Joplin. Dr. Han gave vague timelines but I don't remember what they were. I do know that the sim center is the current priority though, and that if all goes well the current M1s may get to see it as 4th years when we return for graduation in 2018.

A second campus is definitely in the plans, but right now (from what admin has told current M1s and M2s) the timeline is still speculative.

I don't know why you are determined to to contradict any answers I give. I am affiliated with the school in a capacity that allows me to provide info well beyond what has been discussed to you as a student. When I say I know the campus will be open sooner than that, it is because I have been actively involved with people working on it at times. I'm sure the info given to students from admin is beneficial when shared on these forums, but the info shared with you is not as complete as info shared with others on campus. Instead of continually contradicting info from someone in a position to provide info you don't have, it would serve you well to try to be humble and accept there are people on these forums with far more insight than you into some things. I'll be happy to leave well enough alone if info I provide is not useful, but I thought answering some of these questions would be helpful to future students.

I don't know why you are determined to to contradict any answers I give. I am affiliated with the school in a capacity that allows me to provide info well beyond what has been discussed to you as a student. When I say I know the campus will be open sooner than that, it is because I have been actively involved with people working on it at times. I'm sure the info given to students from admin is beneficial when shared on these forums, but the info shared with you is not as complete as info shared with others on campus. Instead of continually contradicting info from someone in a position to provide info you don't have, it would serve you well to try to be humble and accept there are people on these forums with far more insight than you into some things. I'll be happy to leave well enough alone if info I provide is not useful, but I thought answering some of these questions would be helpful to future students.

I'm not trying to contradict everything you say, nor am I saying your information's is necessarily wrong. Considering your description of your position, I'm assuming you're either an administrator for the school or someone pretending to be an administrator. Considering you have a total of 11 posts on this site, 9 of which are on this thread, you'll have to forgive me for not automatically believing everything you say. Especially when some of those things contradict what high-level administrators have told me in 1-on-1 or small group settings.

The bottom line is that I have no idea who you are and have no way of judging how valid your information is unless you share official screenshots like earlier. I am only trying to pass on information that I either have personal experience with or have heard from people in a position that leads me to believe what they tell me is correct (such as a dean or the president of the COM). I have no problem admitting when I'm wrong, but you've got to give me more than "I'm in a position to know this stuff" for me to believe it without questions. If you'd like to discuss this further feel free to PM me, as I always enjoy learning more about our school and it's direction, especially if you really are someone 'on the inside'. I just figured I'd let the incoming class have their thread back to talk and get to know each other more without others constantly dropping in.

For all current med students in KCU: Anyone have any ideas regarding tuition? I'm very open to learning about how long it takes to pay back loans and which ones (public,/private) are best for medical students in KCU. I turned down a medical school in my hometown state in order to attend KCU - even though it is slightly pricier. But now I am delving into the 'money' aspect of it and am realizing that no matter which school I would have decided to attend, the tuition is astronomical (considering the full 4 years plus interest - and compounding interest). Do many students try to get the PSLF (public Service Loan Forgiveness) or they just blindly go into school without thinking about paying off the loans until they are in their late 40's?

Live like a resident when you are an attending and pay off your loans in ~ 5 years (assuming 200K salary and 400K debt by the time you finish training). Maybe less if you are really frugal.

I wouldn't count on PSLF being an option. I personally am not.
Hmmm, it seems hard to do in my particular scenario (married with a child...and hoping for more over the next few years)...

For all current med students in KCU: Anyone have any ideas regarding tuition? I'm very open to learning about how long it takes to pay back loans and which ones (public,/private) are best for medical students in KCU. I turned down a medical school in my hometown state in order to attend KCU - even though it is slightly pricier. But now I am delving into the 'money' aspect of it and am realizing that no matter which school I would have decided to attend, the tuition is astronomical (considering the full 4 years plus interest - and compounding interest). Do many students try to get the PSLF (public Service Loan Forgiveness) or they just blindly go into school without thinking about paying off the loans until they are in their late 40's?

Yea... I'm conflicted between taking out government loans vs private loans. Places like Discover offer loans for medical students at pretty good rates with a cosigner. I think the variable rate is between 3.25%-7%. I doubt it'll ever reach a high of 7% but anywhere within that range it's less than the grad plus loan rate.

Just not sure if programs such as IBR from federal loans outweigh taking out a private loan. More research to be done!

Hey everyone! For everyone living off campus or not in CT, where are you looking to rent? Just trying to figure out where everyone else is looking so I can determine what's best for me! Thanks!

Hey everyone! For everyone living off campus or not in CT, where are you looking to rent? Just trying to figure out where everyone else is looking so I can determine what's best for me! Thanks!

I posted a week or two ago on the Facebook page, but I just purchased a 1 BR condo in the Manhattan, not sure if any other KCU students are living there but I know it's full of UMKC Med and Dental kids. There's a lot of cool places in downtown though, if you are looking for something condo/loft wise, that are all within 5 minutes of school. I know when I was looking I stopped by the SoHo lofts and those were pretty nice. Also looked into Westport Central and Quality Hill Towers.

I know this was a super broad answer so sorry if it isn't much help :p

Reactions: 1 users

Have you spoken to Ms. Sparks? She's the realtor that works with KCU students to help them find apartments or homes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey new classmates, :happy: does anyone know the first day of class? The 2015-2016 academic catalog is not on their website quite yet.

Hey new classmates, :happy: does anyone know the first day of class? The 2015-2016 academic catalog is not on their website quite yet.

Should be August 3rd! Orientation week is the week before

Are you for sure fort sure?!

According to the people in the FB group, yes! Haha. Gia was able to confirm the white coat ceremony is Saturday August 1st, they just don't have a time yet. And when I emailed her about move in dates she mentioned that week of July 27th was orientation week. I want to say KCU released some sort of dates in one of the acceptance packets but I don't remember haha.

According to the people in the FB group, yes! Haha. Gia was able to confirm the white coat ceremony is Saturday August 1st, they just don't have a time yet. And when I emailed her about move in dates she mentioned that week of July 27th was orientation week. I want to say KCU released some sort of dates in one of the acceptance packets but I don't remember haha.
They sent out acceptance packets?

They sent out acceptance packets?

I guess I shouldn't have said "packets" but I meant just information sent with the acceptance letter and then things they have posted on the Matriculation site

I guess I shouldn't have said "packets" but I meant just information sent with the acceptance letter and then things they have posted on the Matriculation site
Haha. Ok cool. I just wanted to make sure I didnt miss anything.

Any word on a legit figure of how many people can come to the white coat thing?

Any word on a legit figure of how many people can come to the white coat thing?

I would assume that they'd be smart enough to plan for at least our immediate family to be coming... either way, my parents and brother are already planning on being there so I certainly hope there are enough seats!

I would assume that they'd be smart enough to plan for at least our immediate family to be coming... either way, my parents and brother are already planning on being there so I certainly hope there are enough seats!
Yea like I have 3 brothers and sisters, my parents, and then my wife. I do not expect to be getting that many seats unfortunately, just being realistic here. I wouldnt even know who to ask that stuff? My usual person that I bug is B. Birdsong, shes awesome.

Yea like I have 3 brothers and sisters, my parents, and then my wife. I do not expect to be getting that many seats unfortunately, just being realistic here. I wouldnt even know who to ask that stuff? My usual person that I bug is B. Birdsong, shes awesome.

I'm sure she would at least have some idea! I asked Gia on the FB page for details but it seems like they're still finalizing some of the details so I guess once they have a location and time, they'll send formal announcements to us? Last year, they held it at the music hall, so I would hope that means about 3-4 tickets per student. Other students might give away tickets they don't need though since you'll definitely need more! Here's hoping everything works out haha.

I'm sure she would at least have some idea! I asked Gia on the FB page for details but it seems like they're still finalizing some of the details so I guess once they have a location and time, they'll send formal announcements to us? Last year, they held it at the music hall, so I would hope that means about 3-4 tickets per student. Other students might give away tickets they don't need though since you'll definitely need more! Here's hoping everything works out haha.

There were no tickets for us. You just invited people as long as it was a reasonable amount.

Im going to be missing the White Coat Ceremony. How bad is that?

Have a legit excuse...I am just wondering what exactly takes place by the ceremony..

Have a legit excuse...I am just wondering what exactly takes place by the ceremony..

You hear a few speeches by the president, Dean, faculty etc.

Then you walk up to the stage with your white coat and state your name and where you got your degree. They put the white coat on you.

You don't miss anything vital that you would need for school.

It has been a while since my initial post but thanks for the info guy or gals! :)

Hey all, I'm not sure if this was addressed in the other thread at all. I was just wondering what a standard day is like during the semester in terms of class times and what not. Any insight would be great. Thanks!

Hey all, I'm not sure if this was addressed in the other thread at all. I was just wondering what a standard day is like during the semester in terms of class times and what not. Any insight would be great. Thanks!

I would love to know this as well! Also, what is usual dress code for regular class days?

Someone else will certainly go into more detail but a quick idea since I'm on my phone:

Lectures in the morning usually starting at 8 or 9, OMM/PCM/Anatomy labs generally in the afternoon (anatomy labs sometime in the morning).

Some blocks are heavier than others lab-wise, and some have zero anatomy. I would say an average week is 3 hours of lecture in the morning and 2-3 labs per week. It's really not too bad. But glancing at Neuro next block, all bets are off.

Dress code is scrubs/t-shirts for lab, professional with white coat for PCM (patient interviews), no dress code for lecture.

It really varies from day to day. We typically have class from 8-11 or 12, so around 15-17 lectures hours/wk. Then a lunch hour, then the afternoon is variable. Some days you'll have lab from 1-5, some days you won't have anything. Labs are from 1-3 then 3-5, so a lot of times you'll just have 2 hours of lab. I'd say it's usually around 8-12 hours/wk in the afternoon. Some weeks are ridiculous and we have 14-16 hours of lab, other weeks we'll have2. It can vary a lot. Lectures aren't mandatory, but all labs are. So you're looking at around 25-30 hours per week if you plan on attending all the lectures.

Someone else will certainly go into more detail but a quick idea since I'm on my phone:

Lectures in the morning usually starting at 8 or 9, OMM/PCM/Anatomy labs generally in the afternoon (anatomy labs sometime in the morning).

Some blocks are heavier than others lab-wise, and some have zero anatomy. I would say an average week is 3 hours of lecture in the morning and 2-3 labs per week. It's really not too bad. But glancing at Neuro next block, all bets are off.

Dress code is scrubs/t-shirts for lab, professional with white coat for PCM (patient interviews), no dress code for lecture.

Neuro is going to suck soo much. It's going to be like MSK all over again...

For those of you like me who have been putting off getting the titers done... I just found out from our student clinic that the Florida Health Department (state wide) offers titers at a very low cost (when I told them I would need MMR, Hep B, and varicella, they told me the total would be $27) which is better than others have told me haha. So I would recommend checking with your state health department and seeing if they have similar prices! Hope that helps people! :D

For those of you like me who have been putting off getting the titers done... I just found out from our student clinic that the Florida Health Department (state wide) offers titers at a very low cost (when I told them I would need MMR, Hep B, and varicella, they told me the total would be $27) which is better than others have told me haha. So I would recommend checking with your state health department and seeing if they have similar prices! Hope that helps people! :D

I'm in the clinic right now and I got REEMED for not seeing my PCP yet haha. We just switched health insurance companies!

I'm in the clinic right now and I got REEMED for not seeing my PCP yet haha. We just switched health insurance companies!

Haha, oh no! Yeah I called the health department and it seems very "one in, one out" kind of thing haha. I don't think I'll get the "and you've waited this long to see a PCP because...." speech from them :p From the physician I will have to see after to sign off on the results...I'm sure I'll get a whole lecture lol.

Wish I had known about this. Getting Hep B alone was more than that.

Wish I had known about this. Getting Hep B alone was more than that.

Are you from Florida too? Idk if every state has this but yeah, my clinic was nice enough to warn me that if I did it there, I would be paying a ton more...

So whose all going to the Accepted Students Day on the 13th?

I just cancelled today : (

Was hoping to but I am going to drive down in May instead.

Noooo! Sorry to hear that but that's nice that you'll have some time to visit before school starts - this is probably the only time I'll have until July xD

But I'll be there! Leaving right after for the airport but at least I'll have time to explore the school and stuff (and get some of that new KCU merch hehe) :D

I had to cancel attending acceptance day as well. I just have too much going on. My wife and I are coming out May 1 instead to check out schools for my daughter and check out the city. Look forward to meeting everyone in July.