LSU New Orleans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

servitup

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Where do most of the residents at LSU-NO live? In particular, I am interested in those who may have wives/kids. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Where do most of the residents at LSU-NO live? In particular, I am interested in those who may have wives/kids. Thank you.

Hustler's "Barely Legal" Club, on Bourbon Street?

at least my wife wouldn't have to commute to work that way:laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)

With kids...suburb Metairie is your best choice, other suburbs worth looking into are:

Mandeville (across the lake)
Kenner
Harahan
Gretna

Just get ready to commute. If you don't mind commuting 30 - 60 minutes each way everyday, then there are many suburbs you can select from.

I am single and I would like to live as close to the residency as possible. I figure to spend as much time at the hospital as possible so I might as well not waste time driving back and forth. Anyway, I was wondering if this is common practice among the residents or does everyone commute. Thank you in advance for the info.

Zach

I must say I am stoked to interview at your program

I just wish my wife was excited about NO as I am. Haha.

When you interview you will meet some of the smartest and most pleasurable residents I have ever seen. Attendings are amazingly social as well for how accomplished they are in the field of OMFS. Goodluck on the interview.

Metairie is your best bet - safety and convenience wise - and if you're looking for the suburbs. And tell your wife it'll only be a little while - and being a Baton Rouge native myself - Baton Rouge is close to NO, but has grown considerably after Katrina, it's one of the few housing markets in the nation that is actually doing well - if she isn't looking to stay in NOLA after your residency, BR is very nice (close) alternative - with much less crime, and better schools (assuming y'all have kids). PLUS, it's got the best football team in the nation :).

PS. like Yah-E said, Mandeville is another good alternative, but its a much longer commute.

Not all residents commute 30 min. I commute 10 to get to the hospital. Most of the family people live in metarie, which is more suburbia....and less crime.

i may live the farthest from the hospital of all the residents in NO..and my commute time is 10-15 minutes from the edge of Metairie, depending on traffic, which is hardly any....so commute is not bad at all...and there are plenty of safe areas close to downtown...if you match here, i recommend spending a week or weekend and have a realtor that is a native of new orleans, and they'll show you guys around...there are plenty of condos, apartments, and houses close to downtown..or just go around on your own...but good luck to all and see you guys at the interviews...

Living in Metairie is pretty suburbia I agree!
Though I'd opt for Kenner as my 2nd choice...

i lived in a downstairs duplex off esplanade and quite liked the area.
I know several people who lived in the dorms(they were single), and didnt hear too many comlplaints from them. the dorms are very close to the hospital FYI

having come from a city with no traffic, any commute- metairie included would suck for me. Unless youre planning on going in at 5am... which you should/will

As someone who's lived in New Orleans for the past four years, I'd say living somewhere in a quiet area in Uptown New Orleans or the St. Charles area is a good family place, and a convenient distance from campus, New Orleans life (not just the partying!) etc, and has great schools for kids (ISL, Holy Name, etc). Metairie might have some nice areas, but it is pretty boring, and has the absolute worst traffic in the city--it's a pain, really. Metairie's got strip malls, New Orleans has the food and culture. If you do stay in New Orleans, I would recommend not living in the quarter, marigny, etc. The warehouse district is nice and a stone's throw from LSU, but you won't be able to have a house.