LSU-NO OMFS Externship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

armorshell

One Man Freak Show
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, I'm still sketchy about staying for a long period of time in the call room, so does anyone know a good place to stay nearby?

Also, is there anything I should dknow in general about externing, externing at LSU, or about staying in New Orleans in general? Specifically should I buy beads there or bring them with me? Do I get to see the boobs before I throw the beads, or vice versa? Thanks for all your help on these important questions.

Members don't see this ad.

you're going to want to buy the beads down there...and the system works in a way that allows you to see the breasts before throwing said beads...I've got a house in Harahan (suburb) if you're interested in renting.

you're going to want to buy the beads down there...and the system works in a way that allows you to see the breasts before throwing said beads...I've got a house in Harahan (suburb) if you're interested in renting.

Thanks for the offer but I'm not going to have a car or any other form of transportation besides the ones attached to my hips.

Members don't see this ad :)
i remember way back yonder when yah-e posted a forum about his stay at LSU-NO and how he stayed in some dorm across the street that was nice and cheap. you may want to hit him up or look for that forum, but from what i remember it was many moons ago.

and about the beads just buy one pair and pull the ole' "you show me yours and i walk away without giving you the beads trick." ZING. gets them everytime. :smuggrin:

i remember way back yonder when yah-e posted a forum about his stay at LSU-NO and how he stayed in some dorm across the street that was nice and cheap. you may want to hit him up or look for that forum, but from what i remember it was many moons ago.

I wanted to PM up Yah-E but I think he's incommunicato due to getting too many PMs about the "under 3.0 club"

Hopefully this thread may draw his attention.

I wanted to PM up Yah-E but I think he's incommunicato due to getting too many PMs about the "under 3.0 club"

I wouldn't PM Yah-E...no place to stay near by that I know of besides hotels.....my advice: work hard and take call....and you'll get to do a ton of stuff....

I wouldn't PM Yah-E...no place to stay near by that I know of besides hotels.....my advice: work hard and take call....and you'll get to do a ton of stuff....

Is Yah-E too busy or is there more to that comment?

Sounds good. Does the call room have any sort of lockers or the like? Basically I'm trying to find out if it would be safe to leave me stuff sitting around somewhere in there.

As far as working hard and taking call, you've got me for a month and there's nothing else on my schedule besides "OMFS internship." All I'm limited by during my month there is my bodily functions.

No comment...

Wow. Time for speculation to begin!! I think he must have bombed Step 1 at least once based off his posts here because he posted in August about receiving scores back then posted again in September about how well the NBME exams correlate w/ USMLE. Hmmmmmmmmm.

Amazing place to extern. Work your a** off and you will learn a lot.

The group of guys at LSU-NO work as a team, and it is amazing how much they do as a resident run program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow. Time for speculation to begin!! I think he must have bombed Step 1 at least once based off his posts here because he posted in August about receiving scores back then posted again in September about how well the NBME exams correlate w/ USMLE. Hmmmmmmmmm.
Maybe he passed but wasn't satisfied with his step 1 score the first time around, so he decided to take it again to try and improve.

Amazing place to extern. Work your a** off and you will learn a lot.

The group of guys at LSU-NO work as a team, and it is amazing how much they do as a resident run program.

Yes...things are going real well now down here. Clinic is back...we operate almost every day...slamming in implants in our clinic....and enough cosmetics than you can shake a stick at.....One of my chiefs is at a record 62 rhino's...all as primary surgeon....

yeah guys. Seriously. Don't gossip about yah-e. Come on now.

What about gossip of LSU-cowboy? I hear he is turning gay. :love:

turning? I thought he had been that way for years.

Ur treading on thin ice my pedigree chum.....only doggie can make those comments....

Ahh yes, the age old unwritten rule.......it is only ok to make fun of our friends........sorry brother

Armorshell:

You have revived me! Listen, I'm glad you'll be doing an externship at LSU New Orleans. You'll love it! For real though, as an extern, definitely stay in the call room. They're new (1 year old), and it's very convenient. I highly recommended it! Once you do a great job, then maybe LSU-Cowboy will let you sleep with him.

Yes, back in the days when I did an externship, I stayed in the dorm right next door to the hospital, which I still highly recommend if they still have vacancy. It's called Stanislaus Hall, check out the link:

http://www.auxent.lsuhsc.edu/reshall/stanislaus.aspx

To contact them, check out this page:

http://www.auxent.lsuhsc.edu/reshall

Yeah, don't PM me because I turned that crappy option off long ago.

LSU-Cowboy, I still love you!! ;)

ahahahaha. i'm coming also now. Just got the email.

I'm only half the man of armorshell, and will likewise, be there for only one half the month.

I'm asking for the call room and will provide entertainment for anyone who does not appreciate armorshell's deep skin tones or flowing long hair.

All you residents should feel lucky, SaxyDucky actually has custom molded kneepads for sucking up :thumbup:

Flat4 was way better! I didnt even have to pay him 5 dalla!

come on. no more gossip about yah-e. no more. please.

Yah-E is not in the program anymore?

come on. no more gossip about yah-e. no more. please.

why dont we gossip about lsu-cowboy? I should change my name to Dallas-cowboy!

Flat4 was way better! I didnt even have to pay him 5 dalla!

What is the uniform while there? I provide it? Specific type of shoe? Sneakers, clogs, LSU specific.....

Call room: Have any lockers for externs? I plan on bringing just a computer, scrubs if needed, shoes, a few things to wear outside the hospital, shower stuff, 13 man thongs. Lockers big enough for that crap?

I'm assuming you have washers/dryers also. Im going straight to my next externship after LSU so I'd like to not look like a scrappy extern from day 1 there.

What is the uniform while there? I provide it? Specific type of shoe? Sneakers, clogs, LSU specific.....

Call room: Have any lockers for externs? I plan on bringing just a computer, scrubs if needed, shoes, a few things to wear outside the hospital, shower stuff, 13 man thongs. Lockers big enough for that crap?

I'm assuming you have washers/dryers also. Im going straight to my next externship after LSU so I'd like to not look like a scrappy extern from day 1 there.

Showers? Laundry? Quit being such a p**** and wasting valuable externship time.

Showers? Laundry? Quit being such a p**** and wasting valuable externship time.

you are useless. Despite what you pretend to think, you will be taking showers, you will be sleeping, and you will be taking breaks from the OR/clinics to rest or study up on the things you got schooled on that day. And yes, I do think a laundry is useful cuz my trick scrubs can only be flipped inside out twice before the skid mark shows through.

Get real. I'm just trying to plan so I make the best of it while I'm there.

you are useless. Despite what you pretend to think, you will be taking showers, you will be sleeping, and you will be taking breaks from the OR/clinics to rest or study up on the things you got schooled on that day. And yes, I do think a laundry is useful cuz my trick scrubs can only be flipped inside out twice before the skid mark shows through.

Get real. I'm just trying to plan so I make the best of it while I'm there.

No need to get butthurt Bryce-junior, I'm just pulling your little tail. I just tend to respond to imminent butt plungings with humor. You know, that thing you gave up when they replaced your brain with the cold metal robot parts that currently inhabit your skull. :laugh:

I don't think anyone, including you, thought I was serious about literally staying up for 4 weeks straight and stinking like a San Francisco bum after a poo-flinging contest the whole time.

No need to get butthurt Bryce-junior, I'm just pulling your little tail. I just tend to respond to imminent butt plungings with humor. You know, that thing you gave up when they replaced your brain with the cold metal robot parts that currently inhabit your skull. :laugh:

I don't think anyone, including you, thought I was serious about literally staying up for 4 weeks straight and stinking like a San Francisco bum after a poo-flinging contest the whole time.

You guys should really think about what you are getting into, you are going to New Orleans. All you need to worry about is to bring a large bag of unmarked bills.

congrats LSU-NO. Looks like you've managed to get two cat-fighting sissies for your summer pleasure. :thumbup:

haha. silly silly. come now boys!

for the purposes of archiving and letting other externs know, got this response from a resident.

Any scrubs are fine
Any shoes are fine
No real clothing requirements/uniforms
O.R. likes faded green (seems like externs must provide these)
Externs do not have lockers, suitcase is it. Call room access is only residents and cleaning staff.
No washer/dryer available (so I guess the externs can wear hospital supplied scrubs on non-O.R. days??)

Finally....it's a 3rd world country, seems like the rules are limited and not very limiting. Should be fun!

for the purposes of archiving and letting other externs know, got this response from a resident.

Any scrubs are fine
Any shoes are fine
No real clothing requirements/uniforms
O.R. likes faded green (seems like externs must provide these)
Externs do not have lockers, suitcase is it. Call room access is only residents and cleaning staff.
No washer/dryer available (so I guess the externs can wear hospital supplied scrubs on non-O.R. days??)

Finally....it's a 3rd world country, seems like the rules are limited and not very limiting. Should be fun!

Per the residents externs are SOL for hospital supplied scrubs. Google maps shows laundromats ostensibly within walking distance (10 blocks, so pushing it). If that's not feasible: http://www.bootsnall.com/guides/05-03/howto-clean-clothes-in-a-sink.html

No need to play up the "Internet badass" role to try and impress all the residents, I'm sure you'll have plenty of time for sucking up when we get there. :laugh:

Don't worry....we're all laid back here....on the first day we'll shave ur ankles, load 'em up with mastisol and benzoin, and have you grab'em....it'll be a great experience.....

When are you guys coming to extern?

No need to play up the "Internet badass" role to try and impress all the residents, I'm sure you'll have plenty of time for sucking up when we get there. :laugh:

o god.

Don't worry....we're all laid back here....on the first day we'll shave ur ankles, load 'em up with mastisol and benzoin, and have you grab'em....it'll be a great experience.....

When are you guys coming to extern?

6/14-6/28....leaving for Jax 6/30. You will be unimpressed w/ our OS knowledge but we'll work hard. Don't doubt us on that.

So my prior OR experience made me believe that scrubs are to be changed after every sx. for my (2) weeks, how many pairs are needed? Sounds like you don't have stringent rules regarding changing them. Fine w/ 1/day?

I'm unfamiliar with your #OR days/wk, clinic days, etc.