Maryland vs. Georgetown (what is P/F really worth?) *please do not quote*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm currently choosing between the University of Maryland and Georgetown, though I am leaning towards Maryland. However, I want to get some extra input to make sure that I'm making the right choice. The main reason I'm conflicted is because there seems to be a huge emphasis on true P/F online, and Maryland is tiered P/F all four years as opposed to Georgetown. Honestly, before I spent time online reading about different curricula, I would've thought less about choosing Maryland over Georgetown. But now I feel anxious about choosing a school that's not true P/F because of how much students online seem to stress it. I have a more comprehensive list of pros and cons below, but I'm hoping to either gain some reassurance over choosing a school that's ranked & tiered P/F over a school that is not - or to receive guidance otherwise.

Maryland
Pros
  • Higher ranked than Georgetown, can be considered a T30-T35 (I'm wondering how much of a difference this makes in the world of medicine - is there an actual prestige difference?)
  • Overall COA will be at least ~100k cheaper overall, if not more
  • Seems to be a stronger research institution
  • Bonded with the students more and have already networked a bit. I felt more welcome at Maryland than I did at Georgetown
  • I already have an idea of where I would live & how much I would pay etc.
  • Smaller class by ~50-60 students than Georgetown
Cons
  • Tiered P/F all four years, ranked, AOA. Is this truly a dealbreaker? This is my biggest concern.
  • Baltimore isn't the most pleasant city to live in
  • Doesn't have elective tracks I'm interested in
Georgetown
Pros
  • True P/F and unranked first three years. My question is: would this really be a positive for matching into competitive residency programs, especially for someone like me who has no connections in medicine? Could it not be a downside if you're unable to set yourself apart?
  • Love the city, the campus, etc. all the superficial qualities (lol)
  • Has elective tracks that I'm interested in
  • Layman's prestige (again, I know this is superficial)
Cons
  • At least 100k more expensive overall
  • Lower ranked - though the students at Georgetown seemed to be under the impression that their name carried them a lot. I'm wondering how true this is?
  • Doesn't really seem research oriented to me
  • Larger class size (>200 students)
  • Felt less welcome and included as a minority than at Maryland
I'd really appreciate any of your thoughts/feedback on both of these schools. Am I going to regret choosing a tiered P/F, ranked school in the future over one that isn't?

Members don't see this ad.

Maryland: the fact it’s a T30, lower COA, stronger research would sway me. The tiered grading system isn’t amazing but if students seem happy there despite it I would go for it

Reactions: 1 user
No disclosures, rejected by both lol

I live in Baltimore and it truly is not that bad, I've had a lot of fun. I'd still choose Georgetown though, and based on their match lists there is not much difference in "prestige"