No State School Interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HaoChengRen

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!

I was wondering if any of y'all had any thoughts on my situation, because I can't really put my finger on why this happened.

I'm a NY resident and applied to every school in NY (plus a few private schools OOS). I have a 520 MCAT and 3.99 GPA. 200+ clinical volunteering and 200+ nonclinical. 40+ shadowing. Thousands of work experience. No research experience (which is a huge setback for private schools, I know :cryi:).

I got 5 interviews this cycle, all private NY schools. One of them from NYU Grossman. But not a single state school invited me to an interview, which was a huge surprise to me. I know yield protection is a thing, but I've read that it's not as significant for state schools because they understand the lower tuition makes them attractive. I know it's hard to tell without having seen my app, but do any of y'all have any idea why this could've happened? The rest of the schools I interviewed at ranged from mid-tier to top-tier. I would've chalked it up to not standing out and having basic ECs, but then why would NYU have interviewed me when I don't even have research? I feel like if there was a glaring red flag somewhere I wouldn't have had 5 interviews, but who knows lol. I've thought of reaching out to the schools directly to ask, but I don't want to waste their resources when there are people who plan on reapplying who might need them more :unsure:

Members don't see this ad.

Not familiar with the NY state schools, but med school admissions in general are a bit of a crapshoot. Maybe it was yield protecting, but who could know. Did you apply late?

Congrats on the 5 interviews though, that's more than most get, and you'll likely end with an acceptance at an excellent school. Even with a higher COA, it'll absolutely be worth it.

Best of luck!

Hi guys!

I was wondering if any of y'all had any thoughts on my situation, because I can't really put my finger on why this happened.

I'm a NY resident and applied to every school in NY (plus a few private schools OOS). I have a 520 MCAT and 3.99 GPA. 200+ clinical volunteering and 200+ nonclinical. 40+ shadowing. Thousands of work experience. No research experience (which is a huge setback for private schools, I know :cryi:).

I got 5 interviews this cycle, all private NY schools. One of them from NYU Grossman. But not a single state school invited me to an interview, which was a huge surprise to me. I know yield protection is a thing, but I've read that it's not as significant for state schools because they understand the lower tuition makes them attractive. I know it's hard to tell without having seen my app, but do any of y'all have any idea why this could've happened? The rest of the schools I interviewed at ranged from mid-tier to top-tier. I would've chalked it up to not standing out and having basic ECs, but then why would NYU have interviewed me when I don't even have research? I feel like if there was a glaring red flag somewhere I wouldn't have had 5 interviews, but who knows lol. I've thought of reaching out to the schools directly to ask, but I don't want to waste their resources when there are people who plan on reapplying who might need them more :unsure:
Your post history indicates that you received at least one A (withdrawing from the WL at NYMC), so what's the point of the post mortem?

You look great on paper, but "only" 5 IIs with your stats indicates that whatever held the NY public schools back was not unique to them. Could be lack of research, although I agree that is less likely at public schools. Might very well be yield protection, or your writing, or your LORs, or a general lack of "fit."

In any case, it's impossible for anonymous strangers without access to your application to give you an informed answer. I can just confirm that yes, your stats and your success with at least one private school makes your lack of success with the public schools an outlier. My advice would be to enjoy your success and not obsess on your failures.

And, for the record, NYU interviews many and accepts few. Your stats made you attractive for an interview. Your lack of research made you a long shot to actually receive an A there. Did you? As to why they interview 1,000, including people with no research, to select a class of 90, most of whom have significant research, you'd have to ask them! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys!

Stop thinking like this is some personal affront. The SUNYs might have felt that you'd go elsewhere,. and perhaps they practiced what is called resource protection.

Reactions: 1 users
New York is one of the worst states to apply from along with California, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, Virginia (not as sure about this. Although the state has 3 med schools, they are all very OOS friendly) etc.

Why? Not only do some of these states have far less state med school seats per capita, but also the competition for these seats from a MCAT/GPA perspective tends to be more intense.

Reactions: 2 users
New York is one of the worst states to apply from along with California, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, Virginia (not as sure about this. Although the state has 3 med schools, they are all very OOS friendly) etc.

Why? Not only do some of these states have far less state med school seats per capita, but also the competition for these seats from a MCAT/GPA perspective tends to be more intense.
Don’t forget the complete lack of in-state tuition savings! *cough* Pennsylvania *cough*

Yield protection. A letter of interest could have helped but I wouldn’t stress about these kinda things if you have an acceptance now just move on.
I am very familiar with the nys schools and trust me, you’re not missing out

Reactions: 1 users
How much networking did you do with the public NY schools before applying? I would also lean on yield/resource protection as well. Based on past cycles, they are probably used to seeing similar profiles go to the private schools. So unless you really argued a very strong fit with the public schools in your application, that might have happened. Hence... how much networking...?

Reactions: 1 user