Overslept and Missed morning rounds...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You guys should work in UK! I strolled in late 15-20 minutes each day for 6 months! There is no chief. Either I start the rounds myself, or I hook up with the registrars who have already started the rounds, but they are chilled out!

And whats with the 5.30am start! Nothing here starts til 8am (thats for Surgoens) and 9am for physicians! Why so early? Your patients will be sleeping anyhoo :cool: :cool:

If only it was like that here. Instead we have deal with the whole neurotic out of control work ethic thats giving everyone an ulcer.

Members don't see this ad.

So, I use a very bright quartz halogen lamp on a timer to simulate sunrise. I have two. One lights up at 15 minutes before the three alarms go off, the second at 1 minute before. Visual light stimulation is harder to ignore than sound. Personally I think it is less annoying than irritating alarm clocks.

Wow.

You should have went into path where you don't really need to be in until 9 or 930 if you got your cases written up the night before, even on the busiest services. And then on the light ones, some days you don't even need to come in at all (and it doesn't count as vacation).

Hmm... I'm a path resident and have not found this to be the case. :laugh:

According to the ACGME common program requirements VI B 4:

"Adequate time for rest and personal activities must be provided. This
should consist of a 10-hour time period provided between all daily duty
periods and after in-house call."

According to our program director, the "should" has been interpreted by the ACGME/RRC as "must".

Ed

Unfortunately, your program director has no standing to interpret legal definitions however he (or she) sees fit. Should--in the legal sense of the word, as is used here--means exactly that: it is recommended, but not mandatory.

Hmm... I'm a path resident and have not found this to be the case. :laugh:

So you have attendings that start signing out at 530AM?:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I have never met an attending that required us to start signing out before 9am. A lot of attendings you can count on to not showing up until after 930am.

Plus the best part about path is that you can get plenty of unofficial vacation. See LADoc's story above about the guy who just took a week off on his own. I have found the same thing. On the blow off rotations you can just not show up and no one will say anything if you just get the minimum coverage. The CP professors are so beat down by resident apathy that they care even less than us.

Unfortunately, your program director has no standing to interpret legal definitions however he (or she) sees fit. Should--in the legal sense of the word, as is used here--means exactly that: it is recommended, but not mandatory.

Actually, the ACGME is more explicit about this in their FAQ:
http://www.acgme.org/acWebsite/dutyHours/dh_faqs.pdf

“Adequate time for rest and personal activities must be provided. This should consist of a 10 hour time period provided between all daily duty periods and after in-house call.”
Question: The required 10-hour rest period continues to be problematic for my program. How does the ACGME interpret this common duty hour standard?
Answer: The language of this requirement states, “Adequate time for rest and personal activities must be provided. This should consist of a 10-hour time period provided between all daily duty periods and after in-house call.” Adequate rest is a “must” requirement, while the requirement for a 10-hour period is a “should.” “Should” is interpreted as “a term used to designate requirements that are so important that their absence must be justified.” This allows programs to provide somewhat shorter rest periods, when an appropriate educational justification is offered. Interpretation of what constitutes “appropriate justification” cannot truly be made a priori, but allowing added time for didactic lectures of high importance or for surgical experience, especially rare cases or cases with particular educational value of the given resident, are examples most RRCs would consider appropriate. It is important to remember that any abbreviated rest period must be justified from an educational perspective, and the program director and faculty must monitor the resident for the signs of sleep deprivation.

but I have been a few minutes late here and there. BUT, I;ve been way way psycho late only once before. For no good reason. I wasn't drunk on alcohol or up all night having crazy awesome discovery channel sex. I just woke up at 945am because my brain was tired I guess. Oh, and I only woke up because my team was calling my cell phone to see where the F@%#&!&!! bejeeses I was. Well, needless to say, I scrambled my few working neurons and the synapses came up wiith a lame ass (?transparent) exciuse that I was *cough cough* sick and needed to go to the doctor. I think they overlooked it and nobody gave me a hard time. I only let it happen once.