PP to academics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GassedOut12

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
With really no good part time work out there where I’m looking, anybody go from private practice to academics that offer part time? I’m talking 60-70%

What was the downside work wise? Not the pay part. What about the upsides?

Members don't see this ad.

With really no good part time work out there where I’m looking, anybody go from private practice to academics that offer part time? I’m talking 60-70%

What was the downside work wise? Not the pay part. What about the upsides?
Academics needs worker bees.

Not part timers.

Many true academic places don’t want part timers unless they know u (former residents etc)

So they will rather get 1099 locums (they claim to care about the budget but really don’t care)

Remember the faulty who have protected non clinical days don’t want another older? lazier doc who equally doesn’t want to do work either.

It’s like crazy people who see other crazy people.

But I guess in this day and age. It doesn’t hurt to apply. But they really want 1.0 staff available 5 days a week.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Plenty places now have clinical associates doing 60/70/80%. No papers or research. Just clinical. Same for professors

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Plenty places now have clinical associates doing 60/70/80%. No papers or research. Just clinical. Same for professors
Agree that now there are more academic departments that will offer part time with no research expectations. Cheaper than paying for locums long term. A couple of my female colleagues have left PP for this and liked it.

Pros - fancy assistant professor title, decent benefits even at 0.6-0.7 FTE, lower supervision ratios, as close to shift work as you can get, can pick up some paid protected time for doing educational stuff like rotation director, etc, tuition discounts for the kids, PSFL eligible.
Cons - less money than PP, academic politics, not having any input into how the group is run, having to supervise residents or anesthetists, time to eat and gain weight, high acuity cases

Reactions: 2 users
Any comments on UChicago academics?
Anybody been there recently? Know pay to hours?

Heard mid 300 for 4 days weekly and 8 weeks off. 2 calls every 3 mths.

Please PM me

Dude has an answer to any and all questions posed on this forum no matter how wrong the answer. Lol

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
So if geography is a limiting factor and want to do the least hours in stable place, what is the recommendation?

Locums is not as hot as in 2022-2023. People getting shifts cancelled. The tide will turn in a year. Good for those in steady locum gig. Stability is my goal. Not the highest comp.
Agree that now there are more academic departments that will offer part time with no research expectations. Cheaper than paying for locums long term. A couple of my female colleagues have left PP for this and liked it.

Pros - fancy assistant professor title, decent benefits even at 0.6-0.7 FTE, lower supervision ratios, as close to shift work as you can get, can pick up some paid protected time for doing educational stuff like rotation director, etc, tuition discounts for the kids, PSFL eligible.
Cons - less money than PP, academic politics, not having any input into how the group is run, having to supervise residents or anesthetists, time to eat and gain weight, high acuity cases
So did they leave a rigorous PP or go from something like a community hospital to academics?

Academics needs worker bees.

Not part timers.

Many true academic places don’t want part timers unless they know u (former residents etc)

So they will rather get 1099 locums (they claim to care about the budget but really don’t care)

Remember the faulty who have protected non clinical days don’t want another older? lazier doc who equally doesn’t want to do work either.

It’s like crazy people who see other crazy people.

But I guess in this day and age. It doesn’t hurt to apply. But they really want 1.0 staff available 5 days a week.
How about this?

325 for 163 days a year 7-5pm
Trauma 1 with residents/CRNAs
12 calls yearly go toward 163 days

How about this?

325 for 163 days a year 7-5pm
Trauma 1 with residents/CRNAs
12 calls yearly go toward 163 days
That’s a lot of physical to be work.

That comes out to 13.5 days of availability each months

Many 1.0 fte places only average 13 days of actual work including calls/post calls. (1 weekend a month) 6 weekends day off 6-7 post call days off. That’s like working 17 days out of a month for full pay (500k)

Eliminate those 12 calls being that total down to 150 days 7-5 that may be more amendable.

325k with 12 calls is not a good deal.

Time and money.

Ur time there physically each day whether if its 1 hr or 10 hrs is the same commitment getting out of bed.

Reactions: 1 user

Very hard to pickup protected non clinical time. I was always pulled even on 0.5 non clinical day. Than finally it was like 2pm…hey u can have 1 hr non clinical time to give ur 4pm talk. Thanks a lot guys. ….

Very hard to pickup protected non clinical time. I was always pulled even on 0.5 non clinical day. Than finally it was like 2pm…hey u can have 1 hr non clinical time to give ur 4pm talk. Thanks a lot guys. ….
Depends on the place... Some places it's easier to get protected time others near impossible. Some academic programs make you do supervision of 8 CRNAs and direction of 4. Other places are just 2 rooms at time of residents or CRNAs.

13 days of work per month including calls? For 1.0 FTE?

Where is this magical place

Some academic jobs are pretty good.
At our place you can be on an academic or a clinical track. Academic has no publication requirements. No more than 1:2. Full time academic track gets 2 non clinical days a month minimum. Everyone can go to 80% whenever they want with full benefits, or per diem with or without benefits depending on how many days you commit to. Going to 50 or 60% has traditionally been only open to a pathway to retirement track. 80% with the full call burden and compensation would work out to an expected 85% of the full income based on how we compensate now. Many are at 80%. It certainly improves work life balance.

Members don't see this ad :)
What kind of salaries are academic places offering these days? Also, how much better are the benefits compared to PP jobs?

That’s a lot of physical to be work.

That comes out to 13.5 days of availability each months

Many 1.0 fte places only average 13 days of actual work including calls/post calls. (1 weekend a month) 6 weekends day off 6-7 post call days off. That’s like working 17 days out of a month for full pay (500k)

Eliminate those 12 calls being that total down to 150 days 7-5 that may be more amendable.

325k with 12 calls is not a good deal.

Time and money.

Ur time there physically each day whether if its 1 hr or 10 hrs is the same commitment getting out of bed.
So 325k for 148 days 7-5 and 8 calls to 163 is more amendable.

The other option is with 2 overnight calls 3p-7a, 2 7a-9p maybe next day off, 1 24 weekend. The rest are all 7-5. Solo mostly. How’s that much better? That’s still 50h per week about

Last edited:
Academics: It’s like crazy people who see other crazy people. That’s wisdom, you guys.
U got it.

Plus the cycle of life. The younger faculty usually worker bees picking up extra calls at measly rates thinking it’s decent. Because they don’t know any better. Pushing their academic salaries to the 500s range now. Before they realize the can do the same in private world and push it to the 600s range (in todays market)

While the old guard kick back and don’t do the same workload and perfectly happy with their mid 400s range salary plus non clinical days off

Academics: It’s like crazy people who see other crazy people. That’s wisdom, you guys.

U got it.

Plus the cycle of life. The younger faculty usually worker bees picking up extra calls at measly rates thinking it’s decent. Because they don’t know any better. Pushing their academic salaries to the 500s range now. Before they realize the can do the same in private world and push it to the 600s range (in todays market)

While the old guard kick back and don’t do the same workload and perfectly happy with their mid 400s range salary plus non clinical days off
Where was this at?

So if geography is a limiting factor and want to do the least hours in stable place, what is the recommendation?

Locums is not as hot as in 2022-2023. People getting shifts cancelled. The tide will turn in a year. Good for those in steady locum gig. Stability is my goal. Not the highest comp.

So did they leave a rigorous PP or go from something like a community hospital to academics?
Where are you seeing this/what are you basing this off of? From what I've seen rates have continued to creep upwards since 2022, and are now as high as they have ever been. I have no reason to believe that they won't keep increasing. 350-400 is the average in the market I am seeing now.

U got it.

Which institution was this that you worked at?

Where are you seeing this/what are you basing this off of? From what I've seen rates have continued to creep upwards since 2022, and are now as high as they have ever been. I have no reason to believe that they won't keep increasing. 350-400 is the average in the market I am seeing now.
Chicago Apparently. Based on the location they are asking about. There are seriously crappy cities out there who continue to lowball people and they continue to take it and ask for more. No Thank You

I just signed an academic job. Low 500k with benefits in vhcol. Benefits are way bettte than my previous pp job. Didn’t get any benefits. I get health insurance , vision , dental, cme , licenses , exam fees, and malpractice paid for. My pp health insurance was terrible. High deductible high premium. Over 1000 dollars for a single healthy person. It's pseudo academics though no supervision and solo. The vacation is a killer tho which sucks going from private practice. 4 weeks vacation , also 4 personal days and a week of cme that people use for vacation

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I just signed an academic job. Low 500k with benefits in vhcol. Benefits are way bettte than my previous pp job. Didn’t get any benefits. I get health insurance , vision , dental, cme , licenses , exam fees, and malpractice paid for. My pp health insurance was terrible. High deductible high premium. Over 1000 dollars for a single healthy person. It's pseudo academics though no supervision and solo. The vacation is a killer tho which sucks going from private practice. 4 weeks vacation , also 4 personal days and a week of cme that people use for vacation
Why such crappy health insurance as a single person? Did you have the option of choosing Obama Care? Cuz that would have been much cheaper. I pay less than $500 and deductible is not high.
Five weeks off a year would not work for me. I need like 13-16. Hence I locum.

Yeah I’m excited to get rid of my krappy health insurance. interestingly one of my colllegies said this health insurance plan was still better than the one offered at north well. Looked into locums but only Napa around my area and it was 1099 275/hr. No thanks.

Why such crappy health insurance as a single person? Did you have the option of choosing Obama Care? Cuz that would have been much cheaper. I pay less than $500 and deductible is not high.

Probably paying for the other people in the group

Reactions: 1 users
The Older u get. The more expensive the exchanges get. So someone in their late 50s likely pays $700 a month with a very high deductible for a single perpsnn

Or $1000 a month as a single person and a lower deductible.

So if u are paying $500/month and low deductible u are likely in ur 30s age range.

When I was in my 30s my healthcare before Obamacare was $50/month with a low deductible

After Obamacare kicked I was barely in my 40 and my premiums jumped from $150/month (low deductible) self employed to $400/month