Residents: a 4th yr. needs advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

indoflip

Whats your question?
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really want to do a residency. More than likely Pharmacy Practice. But I know how limited the spots are and how competitive they can be.

My weaknesses are that I was a B average student, I have worked for a retail chain for the past 4 years and I didn't make time for extracurriculars because of work. I joined maybe 1 professional group at school that I was semi-active in my second year. I also won an award for a poster that I made for a VA hospital my 3rd year.

My strengths are that I have excellent communication skills, I'm empathetic, and I have a great desire to have patient contact and take my schooling to the next level. I really want to help people and make a difference.

So that being said, my question is: does my background sound like I have what it takes to be competitive for a residency? I get so intimated by these programs. What would possibly make me more desirable for one spot than someone jam packed with extracurriculars and A grades?

I'm currently on rotations right now and going straight til my graduation in March, so extra time is limited, but is there anything I can do to make myself look better? :oops:

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Grades don't matter all that much unless you have like a 2.0 gpa. What is really important is networking, like Fermata said, and having a real good CV to turn in. Do everything and anything you can to pad your CV. I've documented several things on mine as a first year so mine is already 2 pages long. Attend your state's ASHP and APhA meetings as well. Most importantly, be involved!

Members don't see this ad :)
I would recommend joining a few more professional groups if you are able to. Not so much to pad your application, although it helps, but mainly to assist you in making connections. Other than that, I recommend the same as Fermata and Caverjet.

From last year's class, everyone who wanted a residency at our school got one. Even when the matching process is done, there are still residency programs with openings, who didn't successfully match candidates. Although this may not be the case in the future, that's how it was for the last few years. Working on that CV, networking, and interviewing well are important considerations in getting the programs of your choice...without having to resort to waiting for ASHP to publish their list of unmatched programs.

The ASHP "Blue Book" was written by my awesome current pediatrics preceptor and is required reading before you head to the ASHP midyear meeting ;) It'll tell you everything you need to know to have a successful application process.

http://www.ashp.org/student/BlueBook2001.pdf

Because this was written in 2000, there may be some info that's out of date (such as deadlines/dates)...but the description of the process, and the advice she gives are still valid.

indoflip said:
I really want to do a residency. More than likely Pharmacy Practice. But I know how limited the spots are and how competitive they can be.

My weaknesses are that I was a B average student, I have worked for a retail chain for the past 4 years and I didn't make time for extracurriculars because of work. I joined maybe 1 professional group at school that I was semi-active in my second year. I also won an award for a poster that I made for a VA hospital my 3rd year.

My strengths are that I have excellent communication skills, I'm empathetic, and I have a great desire to have patient contact and take my schooling to the next level. I really want to help people and make a difference.

So that being said, my question is: does my background sound like I have what it takes to be competitive for a residency? I get so intimated by these programs. What would possibly make me more desirable for one spot than someone jam packed with extracurriculars and A grades?

I'm currently on rotations right now and going straight til my graduation in March, so extra time is limited, but is there anything I can do to make myself look better? :oops:

Thanks so much!

Actually, I have good news for you. Grades are not that important. I mean yea they are if you want to go to Mayo clinic or you are fighting for one spot at a hospital you really want to go to. But I know plenty of students who got in with B's into residency. If you are willing to relocate, you will find a spot for sure. I know for a fact that some programs, simply don't fill in all the spots for residency, so they have 1-2 spots open. Also apply to a hospital where you did your rotations and where they know you. Also make sure you explicitly express a wish to go there, b/c typically hospitals like to hire people that they already know. Although this is not always the case, but I am speaking generally. As well, talking with my professors, they all said they are looking for a person who is a hardworker, who is willing to get stuff done and not complain. They really don't care what your grades were, unless you are applying to some super competetive spot like Mayo clinic. I even had one of my professors tell me, that good grades are not predictive of a resident's ability. He told me they had individuals who had 3.7+ who were very poor residents and then they had those that had 2.5-3.0 who were amazing residents. So don't worry, B is more than enough to get in, just chill and apply to several programs.

Good luck!

Hi!

Does it help to find jobs easily, if you get your Residency done at Premiere Hospitals in US, like Johns Hopkins, New York-Presbyterian, Mayo Clinic, UCLA Medical Center, ...? Does your job application look more competitive among others who applied for the same position? In other words, doing Residency at Premiere hospitals make you prestigeous? Just wondering!

Thanks so much for the advice! Now to expand on a few pieces...
If I go to Midyear, how exactly do I "network" and get my name out there? I actually went to an Illinois Pharm meeting this past weekend and met quite a few important people but I don't think there was anything especially memorable about my convos with them. I did express a desire to do residencies but not in a dramatic way or anything. How can I make myself stand out at a meeting without being pushy?

Also, if grades dont matter as much as a hard-working ethic, etc... How do the the interviewers know that? Thats not something they can tell from my app or an interview?

Thanks again! ;)

npp71681 said:
Hi!

Does it help to find jobs easily, if you get your Residency done at Premiere Hospitals in US, like Johns Hopkins, New York-Presbyterian, Mayo Clinic, UCLA Medical Center, ...? Does your job application look more competitive among others who applied for the same position? In other words, doing Residency at Premiere hospitals make you prestigeous? Just wondering!

Actually, no it won't make that great of a difference, not like for medical schools. The thing is that if you went to Mayo or Hopkins you might have an easier time getting a job at a "Big Name" hospital, but if you are applying to some no name hospital in Chicago, Arizona, Montana, wherever really, it doesn't matter. The shortage is great, they will take new grads whatever, no difference. Doing a residency at a prestigeous school for pharmacy is only if you want to practice at those prestigous schools. Also it might lead to some cooler job or to a fellowship that you really want. But other than that doesn't really make a difference. Hope it helps.

p.s. Just b/c Mayo or Hopkins might be great places for medical education, they are not neccessarily great for pharmacy education

Hi!

Sometimes I have seen jobs for Pharmacists at carerbuilder.com, newspaper, etc... Whenever there is a job for Clinical Pharmacist it only says "Clinical Pharmacist Coordinator", so for example if a Pharmacist specialized in Oncology(cancer) or in other words he/she did a residency in Oncology, how he/she would know which specialized they are looking for? It just says, Clinical Pharmacist but don't say something like Clinical Pharmacist in Oncology.

As far as, I know as a Pre-Pharmacy student that a Clinical Pharmacist is the one who has done Residency in any healthcare area, right? If you do your residency in Oncology, you just have to deal with cancer meds and cancer patient, right? When Employers just say Clinical Pharmacist on job websites or in newspapers, what they mean by just saying that?

Thanx!

npp71681 said:
Hi!

Premiere hospitals are good for medicine. It is sometimes harder for pharmacist. Doing rotations at some of these hospitals, they do not even want to include you. If your attending is used to it you get included on rounds, if not you have to work very hard to be notice. In the west I have heard it is easier but it is much harder in the northeast.