RWJ (half COA) vs Hackensack (also half COA) (Help please)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sparklywoman

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm really torn between RWJ and Hackensack (in-state for both).

Specialty interests: Emergency medicine, general surgery, or some crazy competitive specialty like plastics or ortho (don't really know yet)

RWJ (about 26-30k/yr total cost):
Pros:
- Lower base tuition, and with my scholarship and the fact that I could easily live at home, I would end up saving a good amount of money.
- More established, great match list.
- Lectures are not mandatory, recorded, fully P/F.
- More research opportunities + funding throughout my education.

Cons:
- 4 year program (see Hackensack's pros).
- Facilities are not as nice as Hackensack.

Hackensack (about 50k-60k/yr total cost, depending on cost of living):
Pros:
- 3 year program! Since I'm interested in EM or general surgery, I could definitely finish school in 3 years, not deal with the stress of regular match, and start getting paid sooner (would offset loan interest and how it affects my net worth trajectory).
- Nicer facilities.
- Innovative curriculum that I really like, customizable 4th year that could include getting an MBA at no extra cost.
- Culture seems more cohesive and forward-thinking, and the school is definitely moving up ranks quite fast.
- Doctors that I know say that Hackensack students are extremely prepared and perform really well during rotations.
- Being within the Hackensack system is great for networking/connections, letters of rec, as well as staying in NJ.

Cons:
- significantly more expensive. Would have to live away from home.
- Lectures are mandatory (somewhat).
- Step 1 and Step 2 taken at the same time.
- Less established and lower ranked (for now, though I think in the future Hackensack may be better).

If you have any insights or advice, please help! I'm super torn although I think I would be fine at either program. I know RWJ is probably better for competitive specialties, and not knowing exactly what I wanna do now means that RWJ would give me the flexibility I'd need. However, Hackensack is innovative and COA could be offset by only doing 3 years + saving a year of loan interest + making attending salary 1 year sooner. Any thoughts appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.