Schools comparable to NYCOM???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

J.Pearlman

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sup all, I am really focused on getting into NYCOM next year, but I just want to make sure that there are backup schools that I can make out just as well at. Which schools are in urban areas, similar to NYCOM? Also, which schools have students with STEP scores comparable to MD schools, and which have schools where a lot of fourth years get the residency they want (derm, surgery, etc.) Thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey J. Pearlman,

1st I will say that all of the osteopathic schools are excellent schools and you would receive an excellent education at what ever school you attend. With that said, not every school will give you the opportunity to rotate through large urban hospitals.

I can't even begin to speak for all of the osteopathic schools, but I will tell you what I know. NYCOM has some of the best clinical affiliation in the country. There are 4 300+ bed major tertiary hopsitals that we can rotate throughout New York City. Good Samaritan Medical Center, St. Barnabas Hospital Bronx, NY, Maimonides Medical Center Brooklyn, NY, and Long Island Jewish Medical Center. This does not include the list of 17 clinical campuses and auxillary sites through which we can rotate including North Shore University Hospital which was ranked as the number 1 hospital in the nation for overall care according to the AARP magazine. All located right here in the city of NY.
We also have Osteopathic residencies located at many of these large hospitals ranging from Dermatology (Saint Barnabas Medical Center) to Neurosurgery (Long Island Jewish Medical Center.
As far as allopathic residency possibilities, we had 5 match into allopathic gen surge programs-4 cat, 1 prelim....we also had 1 allopathic GU, 1 allopathic Optho....not to mention 3 allo radiology, 4 allo EM....(information from last years match). Board scores seem to be pretty good when you look at the residencies that people match in to, but I have not been able to find anything that states what NYCOM's average for passing is.

Ok, that it for NYCOM. To answer your question directly about other schools, PCOM, CCOM (Chicago), and NOVA in my opinion are right up there with NYCOM as far as clinical training, residencies obtained, and being located in large cities.

One more thing I wanted to tell you. There are many schools where you can do your rotations in urban hospitals (if you choose to) even if the school is not located in an urban area. I know that LECOM has many many sites approved for rotation including several in NYC as well as other large cities. Hope this helps. Write back if you have any further questions.

Thanks DOnut, that helped a lot. Also, have you heard anything about KCOM, PCOM and the Michigan DO school. Talking to some of the graduates, they sound good in that they place grads in a lot of urban areas, and with prime specialties too. I am not too sure whether they are as good as nycom and the others you mentioned, given all the other factors. Also, I have heard the NYCOM curriculum, compared to MD and the schools I mentioned right above, is a lot harder. Being a student there yourself, do you feel it is tougher than usual.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can tell you that NYCOM has one of the hardest curriculums of all of the medical schools (both Osteo and Allo). Since the 1st semester just started, I can't say whether or the tests are bad because I haven't had one yet. Stay tuned.....I'll let you know.:eek: When you look at the schedule for 2nd year especially, I have NO IDEA how we are going to accomplish all of that. But hey, many people have done it before me, so I guess it can be done. What NYCOM's says is that they are preparing us to dominate the clinical wards....not just impress the attendings and residents. From what I've heard it works......but we REALLY pay for it. See here in NYC there are something like 7 medical schools total and we are the only Osteopathic school. So it is ALL eyes on us. The school really wants us to shine. This is why they KILL us during the second year. I suggest you check out the curriculum on NYCOM's website.
By the way, MSU-COM is another great school. I don't know how I forgot to mention it last time. Like I said before you will get a great education at any school. Your job is to pick the school that is right for you. And for some people, that's the school that accepts you. Good luck!!

PCOM is an awesome school.

I got accepted at both NYCOM and PCOM and chose to come here to PCOM.

Both schools have the positives and negatives. NYCOM does have a great curriculum and great rotations. PCOM is the same.

You can send me a PM if you want more information about why I chose one over the other...I'm not going to get into promoting one school over another. DOnut is a valuable contributor here, don't want to discredit or upset him! :)

Keep the peace.

wow, I didn't write that last post...at least whoever did wasn't an a$$hole :D

Guess I should be more careful about logging off computers at school :eek:

I'm a second year at NYCOM. The first two years are hard, but show me a school where they're not. We just got a new crew of upper administration and they are incredible, all are very much the definition of student advocates with an accurate pulse on the state of medicine. The block system of exams is only starting its 3rd year here, so most of the kinks are finally worked out. They overhauled the second year curriculum this year and it's much better than last year's second years had. It starts out with a month of pharm, then the system-based blocks start until mid April. We're done then and have about 6 weeks to study for boards. Facilities are improving, with a new cafeteria opening next month. Dr. Barbara Ross-Lee, the new Dean, is very research-oriented and is going to bring NYCOMs research into the spotlight over the coming years. She's also very student-oriented, pushing for days off for the second years to go to the AOA convention and DO Day on the Hill. Get this--- NYCOM is actually paying for rooms for 140 students to attend the AOA Convention in Las Vegas this October. No other school gets off for it, let alone get their rooms paid for! 140 of your best friends in Vegas for 4 days on someone else's nickel= a good time. The administration realizes that networking and seeing the profession on a national scale are very much a part of a well-rounded medical education. There's also very credible rumors that every first and second year student will be provided with a Palm Pilot come fall.

I cant comment much on rotations or residency, as I've yet to get there, but I havent heard any complaints. We rotate through some of the best hospitals in NY and sent a bunch to Ivy residencies last year.

Hence, NYCOM has it's advantages. My complaints are the tuition, rather high, and the cost of living, also high. NY has alot to do though, so you get what you pay for I suppose. The class size is a bit large, but I've never had a problem getting help when need be. I dont know too much about other schools, but I hear MSU, PCOM, and Nova are also very strong. Moral of the story, go to the school that's right for you. Be happy in your decision, because a happy student will one day make a happy, and I think better, doctor.

'Nuff said.

WOW. DOnut and oceanDOc are very knowledgable :eek: . I agree with both and their info has been very helpful. I never knew that North shore Hospital was rated clinically #1 :wow:. I am a first year student and am looking to get into Optho if i can. I hope NYCOM's excellent affil. help me get there. Thas why im here. :clap:

NYCOM 2006