Should I be nervous to start my orthodontic residency this summer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am supposed to start my program this summer in ortho, paid program. Currently have no loans and have been working as a GP for 7 years. Should I be worried about going to residency for ortho based on the economic climate that may exist when I’m out for ortho?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I am supposed to start my program this summer in ortho, paid program. Currently have no loans and have been working as a GP for 7 years. Should I be worried about going to residency for ortho based on the economic climate that may exist when I’m out for ortho?

It's understandable to be worried. But, there is always something. There are always going to be challenges like down economies after the housing crash or wars, or sky high gas prices, whatever. You just got to move forward. Things tend to work out, and people are always going to need braces. You will be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you're in great shape. I would proceed with an ortho residency at this time if I was in your position...I think this is a great year to go back to a residency actually. You'll be sheltered from the recession we're about to enter for 24 months, and probably won't need to make a decision to buy into a practice for 36 months...I really like that timetable.

Thanks guys, much appreciated

Not at all, theres no better time to go back to school then now.

Reactions: 1 users