Too old to go to med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Once you fly first class you never go back.
So true. I flew a few ski trips last year all first class with the covid discount rates. For next season flying has gone up a solid 50%, highest I've ever seen. Coach is the price of last year's first class. I don't know if I can go back and fly with the cattle again 😂

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys, I have a pretty lucrative career on Wall Street, however I’m getting kind of tired of it. I used to look up to my buddys dad growing up who was an Anesthesiologist and thought that if I ever became a doctor it would be in Anesthesia. Is 32yo too late to apply to med school? I don’t even really know how it all works. My grades weren’t the best in undergrad, but I feel I could provide a strong application. Thanks for your input
It's funny, because your example is exactly what I tell prospectives I'd do over. Make your money first, then you can go into medicine without worrying about your retirement or healthcare expenditures in the future. You can do it for the love of the game. I support your next adventure.

On the flip side, I probably have enough to retire to southeast Asia without worrying about living costs, which is in some way comforting to know I can now change gears to something entirely different outside of medicine, but not nearly as nice as knowing I have enough to comfortably retire in America and practice medicine without worrying about a paycheck or devoting so much of my life left to the field.

No one is ever too old for medical school. Their family is though

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
if I answer how much money I make nobody would believe it nor is it relevant to a job search for someone else, generic answer is in a nice PP job like that I would expect you to make anywhere from 650-1M+ depending on exact location and how well it is run as a business with income from things other than just clinical care.

And I am SURE you are completely candid with the MEDSCAPE and other surveys who ask you to detail your finances

And I am SURE you are completely candid with the MEDSCAPE and other surveys who ask you to detail your finances

I have never in my life responded to a survey about income

Not even close to old at 32. We had a guy in my close who was at least 50 and since he wasn’t like us twentysomethings he spent most of his off time studying and I’m pretty sure he graduated in the top 10 (not percent ….10). He wanted to be a physician to practice family medicine back in his rural hometown

I can corroborate with a similar story. In my residency class we had a guy who was in his 40s with a family etc. He never went out on the town or came to residency social gatherings, just hung out with his family and studied in his free time. He scored 1st in the class on the ITEs.

Reactions: 1 user
Would living to 1500 get you anywhere even close to bezos?
Far more, although that’s largely due to compounding gains than actual work.

As an example very rough calculation with ~7% real returns causing doubling every 10 years would mean 1,000 dollars in 2021 = 2^20 x 1000 = 1.05M x 1,000 = 1B. So if you saved 100k in 2021 you would have ~100B (in 2021 dollars) in 2221, or 1.6T in 2261.

Historically this concentration of wealth was reduced substantially by shorter times between generations (18-20 years vs 30 today) and far larger families (5-6 vs. 1-2 today).

Reactions: 1 users
Far more, although that’s largely due to compounding gains than actual work.

As an example very rough calculation with ~7% real returns causing doubling every 10 years would mean 1,000 dollars in 2021 = 2^20 x 1000 = 1.05M x 1,000 = 1B. So if you saved 100k in 2021 you would have ~100B (in 2021 dollars) in 2221, or 1.6T in 2261.

Historically this concentration of wealth was reduced substantially by shorter times between generations (18-20 years vs 30 today) and far larger families (5-6 vs. 1-2 today).
There was a Futurama episode about this very thing.

Hi guys, I have a pretty lucrative career on Wall Street, however I’m getting kind of tired of it. I used to look up to my buddys dad growing up who was an Anesthesiologist and thought that if I ever became a doctor it would be in Anesthesia. Is 32yo too late to apply to med school? I don’t even really know how it all works. My grades weren’t the best in undergrad, but I feel I could provide a strong application. Thanks for your input

How the hell could you provide a strong application if your “grades weren’t that good”. You have no MCAT score. How did you do in Orgo II or molecular biology? Stick to that lovely berg of NYC and your dull job. You don’t even have the motivation to be a physician. You “don’t even really know how it all works”. Alea iacta est my friend.

• Dislike
How the hell could you provide a strong application if your “grades weren’t that good”. You have no MCAT score. How did you do in Orgo II or molecular biology? Stick to that lovely berg of NYC and your dull job. You don’t even have the motivation to be a physician. You “don’t even really know how it all works”. Alea iacta est my friend.
This is great. :)

Usually we have doctors talking about how they coulda been i-bankers, knowing nothing about it. Here we've got an i-banker who thinks he could be a doctor, knowing nothing about it. I love this thread so much.

Reactions: 8 users