2023-2024 Baylor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes, but I applied via TMDSAS as well as AMCAS... got the go-ahead from a current med student in admissions so idk
Do you know if the TMDSAS application also gets sent to the MSTP adcom if applying for both? Not sure if to include info from my TMDSAS app on my MSTP secondaries in the case that it is sent.

Did you find out if we would have to do the MD secondaries or just MSTP? I also only received the MSTP secondary.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you know if the TMDSAS application also gets sent to the MSTP adcom if applying for both? Not sure if to include info from my TMDSAS app on my MSTP secondaries in the case that it is sent.

Did you find out if we would have to do the MD secondaries or just MSTP? I also only received the MSTP secondary.
called and talked to folks in admissions--they were very kind to clear it up! apparently that md only secondary is "to determine your fit for Temple Campus" haha. They said I was ok without sending it! personally I didn't include stuff I covered on my tmdsas primary in my secondary. idk what they see but I recall seeing both of my letter packets in the received tab so id try not to reiterate to be safe.

then again i never received any II lol, was complete july 16. trying not to worry too much abt it lool but baylor is a top choice for me so idk

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if it would hurt to submit an "Update to Application"? I have not received an ii yet, and I was a volunteer for two summer camps that provided intensive therapy for kids with disabilities (down syndrome, autism, CP), but took on this role after I submitted my primary and secondaries. Is this too minuscule to provide an update on?

Last edited:
Does anyone know if it would hurt to submit an "Update to Application"? I have not received an ii yet, and I was a volunteer for two summer camps that provided intensive therapy for kids with disabilities (down syndrome, autism, CP), but took on this role after I submitted my primary and secondaries. Is this too minuscule to provide an update on?
Baylor spells out their preferences about updates clearly on their web page:
May I send updates to my application?
Yes, if you have not received an invitation to interview at Baylor then you can send updates through the application system. If or when you receive an invitation to interview, updates to your application will not be accepted. Those who have interviewed may send "letters of intent" through the application system, but not updates to their application.

Technically you could send an update if you have not been invited to interview, but I don't feel a new volunteer activity is worth an update.

IS II today LM 75 complete 7/14
my #1 choice 🥲🤠

• Wow
Reactions: 12 users
@wysdoc Baylor interview dates (all dates are MD and some dates are days where MD and MD/PHDs interview):
8/11
8/18
8/25

9/8
9/15
9/22
9/29

10/6 (MD/PHD first session)
10/13
10/20 (MD/PDH)
10/27

11/3 (MD/PHD)
11/10

12/1 (MD/PHD)
12/8

1/5/24 (MD/PHD)

2/9/24 (BS/MD)
2/16/24 (BS/MD)
2/23/24 (BS/MD)

Not sure about these last dates due to the match being around that time, but that’s the info I was given (direct from admissions).
All dates are MD interviews, though some dates are for the MD applicants and also the MD PhD applicants. So let’s say that John is applying for an MD PhD then he will be interviewing on October 6. And let’s say that Amy is also interviewing but for an MD. She may also interview on October 6. However, John would not be interviewing on October 13 or September 29 because those are not MD PhD dates.

Reactions: 4 users
@wysdoc Baylor interview dates (all dates are MD and some dates are days where MD and MD/PHDs interview):
8/11
8/18
8/25

9/8
9/15
9/22
9/29

10/13
10/20 (MD/PDH)
10/27

11/3 (MD/PHD)
11/10

12/1 (MD/PHD)
12/8

1/5/24 (MD/PHD)

2/9/24 (BS/MD)
2/16/24 (BS/MD)
2/23/24 (BS/MD)

Not sure about these last dates due to the match being around that time, but that’s the info I was given (direct from admissions).
All dates are MD interviews, though some dates are for the MD applicants and also the MD PhD applicants. So let’s say that John is applying for an MD PhD then he will be interviewing on October 6. And let’s say that Amy is also interviewing but for an MD. She may also interview on October 6. However, John would not be interviewing on October 13 or September 29 because those are not MD PhD dates.
Hoping the best for John and Amy 🙏🏻

8/11
8/18
8/25

9/8
9/15
9/22
9/29

10/13
10/20 (MD/PDH)
10/27

11/3 (MD/PHD)
11/10

12/1 (MD/PHD)
12/8

1/5/24 (MD/PHD)

2/9/24 (BS/MD)
2/16/24 (BS/MD)
2/23/24 (BS/MD)

Well since those last 3 dates in February are all BS/MD candidates, they are a younger bunch and won’t be in the TMDSAS match this year so I don’t see any conflict with this interview list

Members don't see this ad :)
Surprised they have 4 BS/MD dates. What are the feeders outside of Debakey high school and Baylor undergrad since Rice cancelled?
Don't they have a few early assurances as well

This website talks about the programs: Baccalaureate/M.D. Programs
Baylor/Baylor has 6 seats, Debakey high school used to have 10 seats via Univ Houston, they dont mention how many for St. Mary's but they also have 3 seats for Xaviers. Wonder how many go for JAMP (there is no BS/MD interview for specific colleges, only direct MD interview).

ii invite just now! super excitedo_O

• Wow
Reactions: 12 users
That’s a great way to start a day! Congrats y’all. 🕺🏼

• Care
OOS II! Submitted 6/3, app received 7/8 (rec letter shenanigans...). Zero ties to TX other than Hispanic population

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
OOS II! Submitted 6/3, app received 7/8 (rec letter shenanigans...). Zero ties to TX other than Hispanic population
You are doing well! Seems like you have applied far and wide.

You are doing well! Seems like you have applied far and wide.
Thank you! I have applied to a couple of places (more like a few...), and we'll see where life takes me for the next 4 years!

is anyone familiar with the data of how likely it is to go from II to A at Baylor?

is anyone familiar with the data of how likely it is to go from II to A at Baylor?
This is a super rough estimate, but going off msar - they interview about 900 in-state applicants for 150 -160 in-state spots. You would think that a lot of these would cross-interview and split somewhat evenly in ranking Southwestern as their top choice over Baylor, leaving you with 500ish prospective students going after ~ 160 spots. You have to ignore a lot of confounding variables (e.g. interview performance), but looking at it bare bones like this, you end up with a 1 in 3 chance.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
This is a super rough estimate, but going off msar - they interview about 900 in-state applicants for 150 -160 in-state spots. You would think that a lot of these would cross-interview and split somewhat evenly in ranking Southwestern as their top choice over Baylor, leaving you with 500ish prospective students going after ~ 160 spots. You have to ignore a lot of confounding variables (e.g. interview performance), but looking at it bare bones like this, you end up with a 1 in 3 chance.
thanks!!! I wonder what their ratio of offers to matriculation is... im hoping it's like 250 offers for 160 spots

900 in-state interviews or total? I thought they interview many OOS applicants with a much lower acceptance rate and it dilute overall acceptance rate?

900 in-state interviews or total? I thought they interview many OOS applicants with a much lower acceptance rate and it dilute overall acceptance rate?
That's just the in-state number, but yes OOS is a whole different ball game

Thanks! So ~50% in-state acceptance (500/900) from in-state interview population and ~35% matriculations to acceptance offer (~17% matriculation from in-state interview population)? Is this number similar to Southwestern as well in other words is one harder/easier to get accepted over other for the in-state students?

Where are you getting the 150-160 number? Does that include Temple?

I see from 2021 spreadsheet they have 580 IS IIs, 257 admits and 156 enrolled. This does not include Temple.

• Hmm
Where are you getting the 150-160 number? Does that include Temple
Where are you getting the 150-160 number? Does that include Temple?

I see from 2021 spreadsheet they have 580 IS IIs, 257 admits and 156 enrolled. This does not include Temple.
We're probably looking at similar data, I was using the report published by Baylor Registrar's office every year. It doesn't specify if it includes the temple campus or not.

Does Baylor normally give you multiple dates to choose from or assign you a date for your interview?

Does Baylor normally give you multiple dates to choose from or assign you a date for your interview?
They will assign you a date but if you absolutely cannot make that date email them and ask if you could schedule for a different date

These ballpark calculations can be a little difficult since you are trying to get a hard number with incomplete data.

Let's just say that based on last year's numbers on the MSAR,
Baylor interviewed 22% of In-state applicants and 13% of OOS applicants.

At your interview it's up to you to convert that interview to an admission!
Of the folks interviewed, 17% IS went on to matriculate and 13% of OOS went on to matriculate.
The MSAR does not provide the # of how many were "offered" admission after an interview.

One might think the IS percentage of matriculants seems low, but keep in mind that most IS applicants apply to multiple TMDSAS schools and the final outcome of where they matriculate is dependent on the Match, both where an applicant ranks each school and where the schools rank their favorite interviewees.

Reactions: 2 users
These ballpark calculations can be a little difficult since you are trying to get a hard number with incomplete data.

Let's just say that based on last year's numbers on the MSAR,
Baylor interviewed 22% of In-state applicants and 13% of OOS applicants.

At your interview it's up to you to convert that interview to an admission!
Of the folks interviewed, 17% IS went on to matriculate and 13% of OOS went on to matriculate.
The MSAR does not provide the # of how many were "offered" admission after an interview.

One might think the IS percentage of matriculants seems low, but keep in mind that most IS applicants apply to multiple TMDSAS schools and the final outcome of where they matriculate is dependent on the Match, both where an applicant ranks each school and where the schools rank their favorite interviewees.
Someone went through US News data submitted by schools and calculated Baylor had a 32.44% Post-II A rate IS and 33.51% OOS last year. I believe based on how it’s presented that it encompasses both the Houston and Temple campuses.

Reactions: 2 users
Someone went through US News data submitted by schools and calculated Baylor had a 32.44% Post-II A rate IS and 33.51% OOS last year. I believe based on how it’s presented that it encompasses both the Houston and Temple campuses.
That’s 230 IS A’s and 158 enrolled, for OOS it’s 65 A’s and 27 enrolled.

That’s 230 IS A’s and 158 enrolled, for OOS it’s 65 A’s and 27 enrolled.
These numbers don't add up though:
230 in-state acceptance = ~700 in-state interviewee (@33% A) = ~3200 IS applicant (@22% interviewee)
65 OOS acceptance = ~200 OOS interviewee (@33% A) = ~1540 OOS applicant (@13% interviewee)
That will make total applicants at 4,740 (I thought Baylor received 7500+ applications last year)?

We're probably looking at similar data, I was using the report published by Baylor Registrar's office every year. It doesn't specify if it includes the temple campus or not.
Your numbers dont reflect Temple unless Baylor published 2023 numbers and even then the number of seats at Baylor went up by 40 to 220 so we should see that total.

230 in-state acceptance = ~700 in-state interviewee (@33% A) = ~3200 IS applicant (@22% interviewee)
65 OOS acceptance = ~200 OOS interviewee (@33% A) = ~1540 OOS applicant (@13% interviewee)
That will make total applicants at 4,740 (I thought Baylor received 7500+ applications last year)?
There were fewer than 6500 total MD primary applications submitted to TMDSAS last year, and some people didn't try applying to Baylor and/or never completed their secondaries.
Baylor lists the number of verified applications as 5810, IS+ OOS.

For any individual person, it's still down to making it to the interview and then having your interview add to their good impression of you .

MSAR says 5877 apps last year. I think your interview rate numbers are also a little different from the most recent version of the spreadsheet (which I didn’t make myself and can’t completely verify). The current version has a 17.17% IS interview rate and 11.73% for OOS.

Your numbers dont reflect Temple unless Baylor published 2023 numbers and even then the number of seats at Baylor went up by 40 to 220 so we should see that total.

Don't get too wrapped up in changes in the numbers; predicting interview success like this is about as imperfect of a science as it gets. If they're increasing class size, then who's to say they won't increase the number of interviews offered this year, and the "odds" of success taken as a ratio of ( interview # / acceptance # ) remain exactly the same. I was looking more at general trends over the past few years ..... @wysdoc knows their stuff and is right to emphasize it matters how you interview and not so much if they're offering 160 or 200 in-state spots.

Don't get too wrapped up in changes in the numbers; predicting interview success like this is about as imperfect of a science as it gets. If they're increasing class size, then who's to say they won't increase the number of interviews offered this year, and the "odds" of success taken as a ratio of ( interview # / acceptance # ) remain exactly the same. I was looking more at general trends over the past few years ..... @wysdoc knows their stuff and is right to emphasize it matters how you interview and not so much if they're offering 160 or 200 in-state spots.
I dont predict anything. If someone has numbers, they need to ensure it is for specific year and state what has changed. Things DEFINITELY have changed for Baylor since 2022.