2023-2024 Minnesota

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got my secondary (aka ranking question lol) a couple of hrs ago, too

Edit: Just got another email saying they're screening apps before sending a supplemental app.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 user
Anyone else’s campus selection link not working? I’ve tried multiple browsers and my phone, but I keep getting an error that the site can’t be reached :(

• Sad
Anyone else’s campus selection link not working? I’ve tried multiple browsers and my phone, but I keep getting an error that the site can’t be reached :(
Try a VPN or using your phone's Data. If it still doesn't work, maybe try later today; could be on their end.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
MSTP OOS, nothing here. Makes sense since we can't do Duluth.

Reactions: 1 users
OOS here -- just received an email asking me to rank the Twin Cities and Duluth campuses, with a note that says we will be screened for residency and MCAT for secondary apps once the ranking is submitted
+1

OOS received this after ranking:

We will screen all verified AMCAS applications before sending out our supplemental application.

During this initial screening, we review that all applicants have the following:

• A minimum MCAT score of 495 (required to receive a supplemental application)
  • Residency status - applicants must be U.S. citizens, hold a permanent resident visa, or be a Minnesota resident with DACA designation
  • Hold a baccalaureate degree or graduate degree from a college or university in their country of origin or from a university located in the continental U.S. or Canada
  • All prerequisite courses must be completed at an accredited U.S. or Canadian institution by July 1st of the year they matriculate

OOS MSTP applicant: I got an email that my application has been received and it says all I need is my AMCAS app and 4 letters of rec. Any other MSTP applicants receive secondaries? Are there any prompts? Website says no fee either.

OOS MSTP applicant: I got an email that my application has been received and it says all I need is my AMCAS app and 4 letters of rec. Any other MSTP applicants receive secondaries? Are there any prompts? Website says no fee either.
This is all I got.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are there any other schools that haven’t sent out secondaries or is Minnesota going to be the last one?

Are there any other schools that haven’t sent out secondaries or is Minnesota going to be the last one?
Im still waiting on a few schools like Emory and Tufts, among others.

Diversity, equity, and inclusion are core values of the University of Minnesota Medical School. Explain how a learning environment that embodies these values is crucial to the education of tomorrow's physicians. Reflect on how you might contribute to this learning environment.

How have your individual experiences and identity shaped who you are and who you will be as a physician?

Describe a time when you used critical thinking to solve a problem that you encountered in any realm where you asked questions, gathered information, thought through possible solutions and their alternatives, and evaluated what you did critically. Please include in your discussion what you learned from this experience.

What other pertinent information would you like to bring to the attention of the Admissions Committee? This is an opportunity for you to discuss an aspect of your journey to medicine that you have not already presented in your application. You may also update us with any current experiences that were not included in your AMCAS application. (Optional)

The University of Minnesota Medical School is dedicated to educating future physicians who have demonstrated an interest in serving patients and families in rural Minnesota. Reflect on what ¿rural Minnesota community¿ means to you. Describe your experience in and ties to rural Minnesota areas. What do you view as the greatest healthcare practice needs in rural Minnesota, and how will your future practice help fill these needs? (Optional)

The University of Minnesota Medical School is dedicated to educating future physicians who have demonstrated an interest in serving Indigenous communities. Describe your experience in and ties to Indigenous communities. What do you view as the greatest healthcare needs in Indigenous communities, and how will your future practice help fill these needs? (Optional)

ALL are 1500 characters.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
nothing for mstp yet :/

Of course none of their 8 essays from last year that we prewrote are the same :)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

They state, "Only complete the Rural and/or Indigenous Health questions if your application presents a strong commitment to these communities. Most candidates accepted within the context of the Duluth Campus mission will be placed on that campus." I selected Twin Cities as my top choice and wouldn't attend Duluth if placed there, but I do have significant rural health experience and still want to be involved in rural care, just not exclusively. Is it okay if I still answer the question?

Also, IS and received 7/27

They state, "Only complete the Rural and/or Indigenous Health questions if your application presents a strong commitment to these communities. Most candidates accepted within the context of the Duluth Campus mission will be placed on that campus." I selected Twin Cities as my top choice and wouldn't attend Duluth if placed there, but I do have significant rural health experience and still want to be involved in rural care, just not exclusively. Is it okay if I still answer the question?

I also have this same question

From what I understand Duluth and Twin Cities used to have separate curriculums and students could potentially get As to both. Starting this cycle, both programs have the same curriculum and students are only offered an A at one site, determined by adcom. I ranked TC 1 but still filled out the rural prompt.

Does anyone know if there is a space on the secondaries to add MN connections for OOS applicants?

All questions on the MSTP app:

List University of Minnesota faculty members you would be interested in potentially working with for your PhD studies in our program. A list of names is sufficient, and they do not need to be in any rank order. You may provide up to 12 names. (300 char)

What area(s) of research are you interested in pursuing during your PhD training? (300 char)

What factors, either personal or professional, influenced your decision to apply to the University of Minnesota MSTP? (500 char)

How does your background (identity, past work, leadership, socioeconomic status, first generation status, disability, etc.) inform your understanding of and support our existing initiatives in justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion or inform new ones? (700 char)

What other pertinent information would you like to bring to our attention? This is an opportunity to add any information that you have not already presented in your application. You may also update us with any current experiences that were not included in your AMCAS application, including any impact of the Covid-19 pandemic on your application and/or your preparation for MD-PhD training. (700 char)

@wysdoc

For those that received the secondary today, when did you guys complete the campus preference?

Did anyone get a complete email after submitting their supplemental application?