2023-2024 Minnesota

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How soon after? I only got a payment email.
Only a couple of minutes after payment email. When you log in to the dashboard does it show the 3 application components (1. Supplemental app submitted, 2. fee paid, 3. Letters of evaluation received) complete?

Members don't see this ad :)
Only a couple of minutes after payment email. When you log in to the dashboard does it show the 3 application components (1. Supplemental app submitted, 2. fee paid, 3. Letters of evaluation received) complete?
Yeah, there are check marks by all of them.

I was worried about Pathway selection. Does anything interesting happen when you click on those options in the dashboard?
OMG yes! I ended up getting the complete email, but when I logged into my secondary portal after submitting, it had me select a pathway. Did lots of other people get this too?

OMG yes! I ended up getting the complete email, but when I logged into my secondary portal after submitting, it had me select a pathway. Did lots of other people get this too?
what are the pathway options???

Hi everyone!
For the rural question, I don't have that much experience with rural communities or any ties to Minnesota, but I wanted to address a health issue in rural Minnesota. Should I even bother answering the question if this is the case?

Hi everyone!
For the rural question, I don't have that much experience with rural communities or any ties to Minnesota, but I wanted to address a health issue in rural Minnesota. Should I even bother answering the question if this is the case?
“There are three required questions for all applicants and one optional question. Additional questions are included for any applicant who has a strong interest in Rural and/or Indigenous Health.

The primary mission of the UMN Medical School, Duluth Campus is to educate physicians dedicated to serving rural Minnesota or Native American communities. Only complete the Rural and/or Indigenous Health questions if your application presents a strong commitment to these communities. Most candidates accepted within the context of the Duluth Campus mission will be placed on that campus.”

This is what their email said about those questions. So if you believe your application presents a commitment to these communities then it would be worth it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why have the questions not been posted yet? My questions for the Twin cities selection:

1. Diversity, equity, and inclusion are core values of the University of Minnesota Medical School. Explain how a learning environment that embodies these values is crucial to the education of tomorrow's physicians. Reflect on how you might contribute to this learning environment.

2. How have your individual experiences and identity shaped who you are and who you will be as a physician?

3. Describe a time when you used critical thinking to solve a problem that you encountered in any realm where you asked questions, gathered information, thought through possible solutions and their alternatives, and evaluated what you did critically. Please include in your discussion what you learned from this experience.

4. What other pertinent information would you like to bring to the attention of the Admissions Committee? This is an opportunity for you to discuss an aspect of your journey to medicine that you have not already presented in your application. You may also update us with any current experiences that were not included in your AMCAS application. (Optional)

5. The University of Minnesota Medical School is dedicated to educating future physicians who have demonstrated an interest in serving patients and families in rural Minnesota. Reflect on what "rural Minnesota community" means to you. Describe your experience in and ties to rural Minnesota areas. What do you view as the greatest healthcare practice needs in rural Minnesota, and how will your future practice help fill these needs? (Optional)

6. The University of Minnesota Medical School is dedicated to educating future physicians who have demonstrated an interest in serving Indigenous communities. Describe your experience in and ties to Indigenous communities. What do you view as the greatest healthcare needs in Indigenous communities, and how will your future practice help fill these needs? (Optional)

@wysdoc

Why have the questions not been posted yet? My questions for the Twin cities selection:

1. Diversity, equity, and inclusion are core values of the University of Minnesota Medical School. Explain how a learning environment that embodies these values is crucial to the education of tomorrow's physicians. Reflect on how you might contribute to this learning environment.

2. How have your individual experiences and identity shaped who you are and who you will be as a physician?

3. Describe a time when you used critical thinking to solve a problem that you encountered in any realm where you asked questions, gathered information, thought through possible solutions and their alternatives, and evaluated what you did critically. Please include in your discussion what you learned from this experience.

4. What other pertinent information would you like to bring to the attention of the Admissions Committee? This is an opportunity for you to discuss an aspect of your journey to medicine that you have not already presented in your application. You may also update us with any current experiences that were not included in your AMCAS application. (Optional)

5. The University of Minnesota Medical School is dedicated to educating future physicians who have demonstrated an interest in serving patients and families in rural Minnesota. Reflect on what "rural Minnesota community" means to you. Describe your experience in and ties to rural Minnesota areas. What do you view as the greatest healthcare practice needs in rural Minnesota, and how will your future practice help fill these needs? (Optional)

6. The University of Minnesota Medical School is dedicated to educating future physicians who have demonstrated an interest in serving Indigenous communities. Describe your experience in and ties to Indigenous communities. What do you view as the greatest healthcare needs in Indigenous communities, and how will your future practice help fill these needs? (Optional)
All are 1500 characters.

It’s time for my annual post —

Hi all, so excited that you are interested in UMN. I am a rising MS3, and I’ve been active here since 2020. My DMs are always open if you have questions at any point this cycle.

My number one piece of advice for applying here is to pre-write secondaries and apply ASAP!! If you are remotely interested in attending, make this application a priority.

They review applications in largely chronologic order. Interviewees in the first two months have a good shot at acceptance, and it gets exponentially more difficult as the cycle goes on. Last cycle, they offered enough As to fill the class before even reviewing most December interviewees. So, I’m serious. Apply early! Don’t procrastinate! Best of luck to all of you.
Oh gosh, I just got verified on August 8th...how bad/late is that?? I am worried
Also, do you know how long the verification time usually takes? I still have not received a secondary from them.

When anybody logs in to view their submitted supplemental application, does it ask you to click on a pathway or campus?

When anybody logs in to view their submitted supplemental application, does it ask you to click on a pathway or campus?
not for me i don’t think. i know some people earlier said it did, then someone mentioned it was a glitch so maybe they fixed it?

Yes. Used to list the pathways but now lists the campuses. Nothing happens when I click on either of them- just brings me to the supplemental home page. Same thing happened when the pathways were listed a couple weeks ago.

Yes. Used to list the pathways but now lists the campuses. Nothing happens when I click on either of them- just brings me to the supplemental home page. Same thing happened when the pathways were listed a couple weeks ago.
Yeah, I wonder why this is?

This application cycle has been lagging ;-/

Reactions: 2 users
Hi all, current MS3 here. UMN has struggled to get most things done within the timelines that they provide. They were behind both years I applied and the subsequent two years. Don't be surprised if this trend continues.

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 4 users
Oh gosh, I just got verified on August 8th...how bad/late is that?? I am worried
Also, do you know how long the verification time usually takes? I still have not received a secondary from them.
It’s not ideal, but nothing you can do now so try not to worry too much! While applying early gives the best chance, later applicants do get in every year.

This cycle has been unusual and it seems like everyone has had slow response times, so I’m not sure how long it will take to get your secondary (if you haven’t already). Sorry for my delayed response!

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think it's a big deal at all. It's only August 16th.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone having hard time logging into the portal?

Reactions: 3 users
Hello everyone,
Is anyone having an issue accessing their dashboard for the supplemental application. It keeps saying Error for me, is this happening to anyone else?

UMN is my last secondary to submit and the application portal is down today 😪 sigh

• Sad
  • Care
Reactions: 1 users
Did anyone else get the email about the Interview Prep Workshops they provide?

• Hmm
Reactions: 4 users
Did anyone else get a supplemental received email twice? I got one on 8/3 and one today...

Did anyone else get a supplemental received email twice? I got one on 8/3 and one today...
Did you already submit the secondary? It may have just been an error. I submitted late July and didn't receive anything like you did. Minnesota also seems behind this year.

UMN is running late this year. Their secondaries were about 2-2.5 weeks late - as compared to the last cycle - and it isn't even September yet. Please, take the time now to enjoy life - go touch grass, see your friends, play videogames, etc. - because the cycle is truly going to get started soon. Godspeed and best of luck to everyone.

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
When did you submit and stats, if you don’t mind?
For sure: I got the secondary on July 27 and submitted it the same day. I was complete on July 27 too. Stats: 496 and 3.71 GPA, URM too

Reactions: 3 users