2023-2024 Northstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What else could you expect from an only-for-profit establishment?
A terrible interview experience that left me avoiding this school at all costs.

Members don't see this ad.

A terrible interview experience that left me avoiding this school at all costs.
i'm confused lol you said it was one of your favorite experiences a couple messages ago...? or was that a joke that went over my head lol

i'm confused lol you said it was one of your favorite experiences a couple messages ago...? or was that a joke that went over my head lol
I mesnt I had a great interview experience but was sad that the school was so toxic with loans and probation. I was expecting a worse of an interview experience to match its overall malignancy.

Members don't see this ad :)
I mesnt I had a great interview experience but was sad that the school was so toxic with loans and probation. I was expecting a worse of an interview experience to match its overall malignancy.
You need slick salespeople to sell a bad product. Just like a used car salesperson who keeps talking hoping that you do not look under the hood.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
has anyone heard any updates from this school yet?

Reactions: 1 users
Received mail today that they leaked people's social security numbers in a data breach. On top of that, they are mailing people, and I received duplicate mails 5 times from different applicants sending the same message.
There is no place in the secondary were we put our social, I don't think the primary have access to it either.

Anyone else get this mail as well?

I'm not calling it cap, but people love to nonstop spread FUD with this school.

Personally, I think students should know what has occurred at the school, the skepticism behind it, and the actions behind administration before committing to take out private loans and making a decision on where they will attend school.

Out of curiosity, had you applied there before? It seems like the breech was Feb 12- 13 2023. Arent AMCAS applications sent to the school after June 2023? Also, I can't think of any place in my app where I would have put my SSN?

Out of curiosity, had you applied there before? It seems like the breech was Feb 12- 13 2023. Arent AMCAS applications sent to the school after June 2023? Also, I can't think of any place in my app where I would have put my SSN?
Yeah looks like it's for reapplicants.

Members don't see this ad :)
i submitted a LOI, so if i get in trouble or they deny it, i’ll let u guys know

Does anyone know from the time they tell you your interview date to the actual interview, how long is the time in between if that makes sense? I'm leaving out of country soon and entering a completely different time zone, so just want to make sure im set

IS II. Could someone who goes here dm me? I have a few questions about the school.

Reactions: 2 users
Could someone speak on what the interview day was like for them? I know it's an MMI format but what's the difference between the two interviews? Also, What's up with their current accreditation issue?

Could someone speak on what the interview day was like for them? I know it's an MMI format but what's the difference between the two interviews? Also, What's up with their current accreditation issue?
its not full MMI, there is one MMI station tho

Provisional status. No longer on probation.

Ah I see, I know LCME is going to come back early next year. Since they're trending in the right direction, would it be likely that they get full accreditation next year? What if the visit is unsatisfactory? Would that mean that the med school will close down?

Ah I see, I know LCME is going to come back early next year. Since they're trending in the right direction, would it be likely that they get full accreditation next year? What if the visit is unsatisfactory? Would that mean that the med school will close down?
"trending in the right direction"? Don't be a mushroom!

Sad Cry GIF by Zookiz

Im speaking it into existence...PLS SEND ME AN II

• Care
Should CNU lose accreditation, there is a teach-out policy, available on the CNUCOM website, to follow through with its educational commitments to its enrolled students prior to med school closing down. Enrolled students will continue to have all of the rights and privileges of students in medical education programs at LCME-accredited med schools (ie boards and match eligible).

Source: 2022-2023 California Northstate

Should CNU lose accreditation, there is a teach-out policy, available on the CNUCOM website, to follow through with its educational commitments to its enrolled students prior to med school closing down. Enrolled students will continue to have all of the rights and privileges of students in medical education programs at LCME-accredited med schools (ie boards and match eligible).

Source: 2022-2023 California Northstate
I understand this policy, but how will the current students of the school fare in residency matching? I'm sure it will be detrimental during the match process if your current medical school failed accreditation.

I'm inclined to feel that Step scores would have an increased weight in application review, which students at CNU tend to do fairly well on

I agree, but with Step 1 going pass fail, some people argue that school prestige will become more important.

I feel like the school gets unwarranted hate from the different reddit and sdn posts online. In my opinion, the only thing really keeping me away from the school is the accreditation issue. Could a current student speak on why they chose to attend the school?

I feel like the school gets unwarranted hate from the different reddit and sdn posts online. In my opinion, the only thing really keeping me away from the school is the accreditation issue. Could a current student speak on why they chose to attend the school?
It's also very expensive.

I'm a parent of a student. In my kid’s case, it was the only school they got into so their choice was to either reapply (and my kid was already a reapplicant), or attend CNU. We interviewed several students who said it is absolutely better to take the acceptance, especially given the protections of the teachout and LCME policies. My kid said that for students that got accepted to other schools, they know one that chose CNU over another MD school due to proximity to family, others choose CNU over DO programs.

One of the SDN consultants said it best - applying to med school is like competing in the Olympics. The difference between medaling and not medaling can be 0.1sec. My kid said the class is really smart, and filled with a lot of students that were metaphorically 0.1sec away from going to top schools (my kid included). This also explains their strong performances in board scores and match rates.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm a parent of a student. In my kid’s case, it was the only school they got into so their choice was to either reapply (and my kid was already a reapplicant), or attend CNU. We interviewed several students who said it is absolutely better to take the acceptance, especially given the protections of the teachout and LCME policies. My kid said that for students that got accepted to other schools, they know one that chose CNU over another MD school due to proximity to family, others choose CNU over DO programs.

One of the SDN consultants said it best - applying to med school is like competing in the Olympics. The difference between medaling and not medaling can be 0.1sec. My kid said the class is really smart, and filled with a lot of students that were metaphorically 0.1sec away from going to top schools (my kid included). This also explains their strong performances in board scores and match rates.
Thanks for writing this.

Can you give us any more information? Has your child talked about the quality of education, cost of living, and community? Do you know the reason Northstate lost accreditation, and if they are likely going to get it back?

You're welcome!

My child has not specifically discussed the quality of the education, but they are doing well. When I interviewed other students, who were more open to talking to me than my kid ;), they said their education and scores were comparable to their friends at other California med schools. Everyone uses the same 3rd party resources. CNU places an emphasis on research and publishing and they have a strong track record for scholarly achievement. I can attest to this as my child has multiple projects under their belt after 1 semester. The cost of living is low for California. The students live in the surrounding homes and apartment complexes. They spend most of their time in Elk Grove and Sacramento, but there are also trips to local destinations such as Tahoe and San Francisco.

I don't know the reason Northstate was put on probation. Businesses either make a decision to abandon an entity, or invest in it, and they are investing in it. They have a 12 committee Task Force dedicated to getting to full accreditation. The fact that their probationary period has been extended by one year (as mentioned on SDN, I don't have firsthand knowledge of this) speaks to the likelihood that they are addressing their deficiencies.

I'm happy to send sources. Most of this data is from doing a deep dive into their website as well as their Instagram page.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
IS II 2/16 scheduled for 3/8. Complete on 8/24.

secondary received: 11/20/23
secondary submitted: 12/14/23
OOS II received: 2/2/24
interview date: 3/8/24 (was also offered 2/23/24)

recently received my first A (yay!) to a school i'd choose over this one, so i'll be canceling my interview and withdrawing my application. hope it goes to one of you, and best of luck to everyone :)

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
secondary received: 11/20/23
secondary submitted: 12/14/23
OOS II received: 2/2/24
interview date: 3/8/24 (was also offered 2/23/24)

recently received my first A (yay!) to a school i'd choose over this one, so i'll be canceling my interview and withdrawing my application. hope it goes to one of you, and best of luck to everyone :)
Congratulations. You have made a decision that you will never regret.

Congratulations. You have made a decision that you will never regret.
NSdoc's comments are pure vitriol, but more importantly, they are unsourced, unreliable, and unhelpful.

Last edited by a moderator:
For people who interviewed, how long did it take for you to get a response back?