2023-2024 NYU (Grossman)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
He said he's mainly free on Fridays and tries to make calls then. Though, he did say that since the interview season is over for NYU, he's going to have more free time throughout the week to make calls.

Also, just wanted to post some additional information that Dean Rivera mentioned during today's session (in the name of transparency and trying to help out everyone's neuroticism haha).

If he makes calls for acceptances, it's going to be from a 212 area code, and will call twice (in case you ignore the first call thinking that he is a scam caller haha).

He also emphasized that the decision of CR is not a waitlist position, simply a pool of applicants that have not been rejected and are in the running for an acceptance. The actual waitlist will not be determined until mid-Jan at the earliest. He also mentioned that a good number of applicants are granted an acceptance from the waitlist later in the cycle (I wrote down 30-40 acceptances, but I could have misheard, so take this with a grain of salt).

Regarding letters of intent/interest - they make absolutely no impact pre-decision. Letters of intent (as in NYU is your absolute top choice and you will attend their institution with 100% certainty given the opportunity) will only matter in situations where someone is on the waitlist later in the cycle, in April (obviously not a guarantee, but something they consider in those circumstances).

He said once all 120-ish acceptances have been given out, then WL or Rs are assigned to the rest of those who are designated as CR (likely around mid-Jan).

One other super small thing that I felt compelled to mention. Of all of my interviews, Dean Rivera is the only Dean who openly expressed a distaste for the ranking system that US News generates (essentially said those rankings don't matter, and they never mattered, even when NYU was ranked #2 in the nation). Honestly, this was such a green flag when I heard this, especially from a school where everyone assumes is trying to "game the system" in trying to climb the rankings. Legit the only Dean that has openly disregarded those rankings during an interview day I attended, which was so refreshing to hear.

Dean Rivera, if you're reading this, you're a G hahah (also, I really appreciate the spreadsheet tip you gave us about choosing a medical school!!)
@BrokenLlamas being a GOAT once again

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
We might be able to get a more accurate sense of Post II acceptance rate if we knew how many they interviewed in total.

They give out 110-120 acceptances and another 30-40 from waitlist. so 140-160 acceptances overall. Do you we know the total number interviewed this year? If so, we've got a good idea of the chances of being accepted post interview, both before and after waitlist.
Based on MSAR, they interviewed 1,040 total last year. That number includes MSTP applicants though. Tough to say exactly how many are MSTP interviewees (for 12 spots, maybe about 140?). Assuming that estimate is accurate, and that this year is similar to last year, I would guess about 900 are interviewed for MD.

Members don't see this ad :)
I need the sweet release of pre-II R so I can finally abandon all hope for this school lol

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
They probably can’t send them all at once or it would crash their system lol

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Maybe I could withdraw now and say I went out on my own terms

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users
Sorry people who interviewed this week what is the soonest we could potentially hear? It sounded like first week of Jan right? Or could we potentially even hear next week since they are going to comittee for us in next day or so

Reactions: 1 user
Disappointing to get rejected today. I was very interested in their accelerated Md/PhD program. On a happier note, my wife is pregnant again and a faculty job that I applied for many moons ago is turning into a job offer. It's still a Merry Christmas for me.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 17 users
Disappointing to get rejected today. I was very interested in their accelerated Md/PhD program. On a happier note, my wife is pregnant again and a faculty job that I applied for many moons ago is turning into a job offer. It's still a Merry Christmas for me.
winning where it all really matters congrats man

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
First R of the cycle whoop whoop, OOS LM 75

• Care
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users
pre-II R. kinda stings, since this was the only school where I got an interview invite 2 years ago. spent 2 years working my tail off, just to not even get an II. guess that's just how the cookie crumbles.

anyways, I think that's more than enough bitching from me. I hope everyone has a fantastic holidays, that y'all get a bona fide **** TON of A's over the next few months, and, most importantly, that you find time to do things you enjoy!

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Caught the R. Another Manhattan titan has decided I should go back to California

• Care
Reactions: 3 users