2023-2024 NYU (Grossman)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
CycleTrack shows that there are were a bunch of As and Rs right around the 3-week mark post Oct 25 MSTP interview. Have CRs been going out sporadically/when did you get the email? Getting a little worried because Dean Rivera said everyone will hear back a decision (A, R, CR) within 3 weeks of their interview and it's almost been 6
My interview was early November and I got the CR the same day I made my first post

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
CycleTrack shows that there are were a bunch of As and Rs right around the 3-week mark post Oct 25 MSTP interview. Have CRs been going out sporadically/when did you get the email? Getting a little worried because Dean Rivera said everyone will hear back a decision (A, R, CR) within 3 weeks of their interview and it's almost been 6
I got my MSTP A 5 weeks after my interview. I don't think their process is quite the same as the MD process.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have tips to stand out in the interview? I truly don’t know why they offered me one. I have nothing that impressive on my app- no publications no awards. Seems like I have to really stand out personality wise and I dont know how

Does anyone have tips to stand out in the interview? I truly don’t know why they offered me one. I have nothing that impressive on my app- no publications no awards. Seems like I have to really stand out personality wise and I dont know how

Interviewing tomorrow and kinda in the same boat. My philosophy for it is don’t try to stand out. You were yourself on your application and they liked it! Despite the absence of publications and/or awards, they want to meet you and get to know you. You are here for a reason. Have fun and enjoy the process! At the end of the day, just interviewing here is an achievement worth celebrating. Wishing you the best!

Reactions: 1 users
waiting for nyu to hit me with that pre-ii r 💀💀💀 complete early July like brother take me out of my misery already

• Care
  • Haha
Reactions: 9 users
waiting for nyu to hit me with that pre-ii r 💀💀💀 complete early July like brother take me out of my misery already
Sameeeee. Especially with my “lower” LM. I feel like everyone with IIs has at least an 80 LM

Does anyone know the details of the decision timeline. Haven’t seen many A’s posted here and we are all supposed to find out a decision one way or the other by January. When in January? Do A phone calls just sprinkle in until whatever that day in January is and then boom a massive dump of R’s all at once with a sprinkling of some WL’s?
Based on reading past years of NYU threads, it seems like there is a sprinkling of As throughout the process like you mentioned, and then in some date between mid to late January (usually on a Friday), everyone who has not received an A will get an email informing them either of an R or a WL. I think I remember Dean Rivera saying that he aims to have about 200 on the WL. So a couple hundred WL, and probably a few hundred more CR -> R, which will all be communicated at once via email on some date in January

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know the details of the decision timeline. Haven’t seen many A’s posted here and we are all supposed to find out a decision one way or the other by January. When in January? Do A phone calls just sprinkle in until whatever that day in January is and then boom a massive dump of R’s all at once with a sprinkling of some WL’s?
I think Dean Rivera might give updates at the Thursday info sessions on roughly how many As he has given out thus far. Perhaps someone who is attending this week's info session could share any updates with the rest of us? Looking at you @doc12bq @nervousguy26

Members don't see this ad :)
I think Dean Rivera might give updates at the Thursday info sessions on roughly how many As he has given out thus far. Perhaps someone who is attending this week's info session could share any updates with the rest of us? Looking at you @doc12bq @nervousguy26
You got it boss! I will update the thread tomorrow

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
At the info session for my interview in mid-Nov, Dean Rivera said 90% of those who are not rejected at the initial 4-week post-interview update are placed on continued review (the remaining 10% are accepted by then). They're aiming to send out a first wave of A/WL/R decisions sometime in January ( goal is to send out all As by the 1st week of Jan)

At the info session for my interview in mid-Nov, Dean Rivera said 90% of those who are not rejected at the initial 4-week post-interview update are placed on continued review (the remaining 10% are accepted by then). They're aiming to send out a first wave of A/WL/R decisions sometime in January ( goal is to send out all As by the 1st week of Jan)
hmm, maybe I’m being neurotic but if they’re taking 10% outright (~100 students), isn’t there almost no room for them to take applicants off of CR?

I was wondering the same thing.
I suspect the 10% is an over-estimation. As far as I remember they said a few applicants get accepted outright and the majority of As will first be placed on CR. That being said I might just be coping lol

CR is honestly weird. It seems to just be a façade for waitlist before the waitlist.

hmm, maybe I’m being neurotic but if they’re taking 10% outright (~100 students), isn’t there almost no room for them to take applicants off of CR?
It's 10% of those not rejected, so that's around 8%. Idk how many people interview in total though.

CR today... depression
interview:11/15/2023

Last edited:
  • Sad
57 acceptances have been given out for MD, Dr. Rivera expects around 110-120 acceptances total with a class size of 92 seats. He mentioned that his goal is to get all acceptances in by the first week of Jan. He mentioned that after those acceptances are given in Jan, you will notified of either a waitlist or rejection status at that time. Lastly, he mentioned that CR is not waitlist; you are still in the running for an acceptance. I hope that helps!

Reactions: 8 users
57 acceptances have been given out for MD, Dr. Rivera expects around 110-120 acceptances total with a class size of 92 seats. He mentioned that his goal is to get all acceptances in by the first week of Jan. He mentioned that after those acceptances are given in Jan, you will notified of either a waitlist or rejection status at that time. Lastly, he mentioned that CR is not waitlist; you are still in the running for an acceptance. I hope that helps!
Thank you for this! Do we think there will be a decent amount of acceptances between now and the first week of Jan, or will the majority of them be given out the first week of Jan only (not sure if you know the answer to this / this makes sense).

Feeling like it’s pretty much WL or R as an early interviewee on CR. I’d imagine a majority of the acceptances still to go out are recent interviews :/

Reactions: 3 users
So half to a little more than half A's have been sent out with interviews ending next week right?

Thank you for this! Do we think there will be a decent amount of acceptances between now and the first week of Jan, or will the majority of them be given out the first week of Jan only (not sure if you know the answer to this / this makes sense).
This is purely a guess but I think there will be a few acceptances between now and Jan for the recent interviews as only around 10% of people get a straight A after interviews. Most As will come the first week of Jan

Has anyone still not heard ANYTHING back? Like girl if you're gonna reject me just give me the R don't dangle me on a fishing line like a small bass.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
This is purely a guess but I think there will be a few acceptances between now and Jan for the recent interviews as only around 10% of people get a straight A after interviews. Most As will come the first week of Jan
Did Dean Rivera confirm today that 10% number for getting an A without ever going on CR?

Has anyone still not heard ANYTHING back? Like girl if you're gonna reject me just give me the R don't dangle me on a fishing line like a small bass.
me too, feeling like a small bass fr.

Sorry if this has already been asked but are people being pulled off of CR for A's? If we interviewed 2 months ago and are still on CR, does that essentially imply WL/R? I was confused if the January timeline meant all remaining A's go out 1st or 2nd week of Jan, or that A's continue to trickle out between now and Jan and the last A's will go out by 1st/2nd week of Jan?

Have NONE of the schools said anything? When did you apply?
I haven't heard anything about a rejection or interview from 15/23 schools and I was complete 8/15 when my school sent out committee packet :(

Reactions: 4 users
According to CycleTrack, the latest interviews last year were sent in Nov. So should those of us with no II yet assume an R?

According to CycleTrack, the latest interviews last year were sent in Nov. So should those of us with no II yet assume an R?
A very small number of IIs are sent in December that weren’t picked up by cycle track last year. However, it seems that everyone is rejected in the second or third week of December depending on the year which means we likely have 2 days to get one, lol

Just being transparent, I think today was the last interview day for the cycle! (per Dean Rivera)

• Sad
  • Care
Reactions: 12 users
Just being transparent, I think today was the last interview day for the cycle! (per Dean Rivera)
Did he say anything about acceptances (e.g. how many have been sent and if there should be some sent in the next few weeks)? Or are we just waiting until mid-Jan?

giphy.gif

Did he say anything about acceptances (e.g. how many have been sent and if there should be some sent in the next few weeks)? Or are we just waiting until mid-Jan?
Bumping up this same question 🙏
He's going to be addressing timeline related questions in our Thursday session tomorrow - I can give an update then!!

Ok, for a quick rundown (will provide a lot more info in just a sec), approximately 60 acceptances have been given out for an estimated total of 110-120. Dean Rivera plans to give ~15 acceptances per week, with the hope that he finishes everything by the 1st week of Jan!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Should we let the committee know if were going to be out of the country and without internet or cell service? Not saying that I'm going to get an A but if they do try to contact me lol. Does anyone remember if they said anything about this? Or what happens if we don't pick up the call.

Should we let the committee know if we’re going to be out of the country and without internet or cell service? Not saying that I'm going to get an A but if they do try to contact me lol. Does anyone remember if they said anything about this? Or what happens if we don't pick up the call.
Just set a voice mail indicating this and you should be good, I’m in the same boat

Should we let the committee know if were going to be out of the country and without internet or cell service? Not saying that I'm going to get an A but if they do try to contact me lol. Does anyone remember if they said anything about this? Or what happens if we don't pick up the call.
I think Dean Rivera said he calls twice and if you don't pick up then he emails about setting up a phone call

Did Dean Rivera say what day acceptance calls come out usually?

Did Dean Rivera say what day acceptance calls come out usually?

He said he's mainly free on Fridays and tries to make calls then. Though, he did say that since the interview season is over for NYU, he's going to have more free time throughout the week to make calls.

Ok, for a quick rundown (will provide a lot more info in just a sec), approximately 60 acceptances have been given out for an estimated total of 110-120. Dean Rivera plans to give ~15 acceptances per week, with the hope that he finishes everything by the 1st week of Jan!!

Also, just wanted to post some additional information that Dean Rivera mentioned during today's session (in the name of transparency and trying to help out everyone's neuroticism haha).

If he makes calls for acceptances, it's going to be from a 212 area code, and will call twice (in case you ignore the first call thinking that he is a scam caller haha).

He also emphasized that the decision of CR is not a waitlist position, simply a pool of applicants that have not been rejected and are in the running for an acceptance. The actual waitlist will not be determined until mid-Jan at the earliest. He also mentioned that a good number of applicants are granted an acceptance from the waitlist later in the cycle (I wrote down 30-40 acceptances, but I could have misheard, so take this with a grain of salt).

Regarding letters of intent/interest - they make absolutely no impact pre-decision. Letters of intent (as in NYU is your absolute top choice and you will attend their institution with 100% certainty given the opportunity) will only matter in situations where someone is on the waitlist later in the cycle, in April (obviously not a guarantee, but something they consider in those circumstances).

He said once all 120-ish acceptances have been given out, then WL or Rs are assigned to the rest of those who are designated as CR (likely around mid-Jan).

One other super small thing that I felt compelled to mention. Of all of my interviews, Dean Rivera is the only Dean who openly expressed a distaste for the ranking system that US News generates (essentially said those rankings don't matter, and they never mattered, even when NYU was ranked #2 in the nation). Honestly, this was such a green flag when I heard this, especially from a school where everyone assumes is trying to "game the system" in trying to climb the rankings. Legit the only Dean that has openly disregarded those rankings during an interview day I attended, which was so refreshing to hear.

Dean Rivera, if you're reading this, you're a G hahah (also, I really appreciate the spreadsheet tip you gave us about choosing a medical school!!)

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 10 users
He said he's mainly free on Fridays and tries to make calls then. Though, he did say that since the interview season is over for NYU, he's going to have more free time throughout the week to make calls.

Also, just wanted to post some additional information that Dean Rivera mentioned during today's session (in the name of transparency and trying to help out everyone's neuroticism haha).

If he makes calls for acceptances, it's going to be from a 212 area code, and will call twice (in case you ignore the first call thinking that he is a scam caller haha).

He also emphasized that the decision of CR is not a waitlist position, simply a pool of applicants that have not been rejected and are in the running for an acceptance. The actual waitlist will not be determined until mid-Jan at the earliest. He also mentioned that a good number of applicants are granted an acceptance from the waitlist later in the cycle (I wrote down 30-40 acceptances, but I could have misheard, so take this with a grain of salt).

Regarding letters of intent/interest - they make absolutely no impact pre-decision. Letters of intent (as in NYU is your absolute top choice and you will attend their institution with 100% certainty given the opportunity) will only matter in situations where someone is on the waitlist later in the cycle, in April (obviously not a guarantee, but something they consider in those circumstances).

He said once all 120-ish acceptances have been given out, then WL or Rs are assigned to the rest of those who are designated as CR (likely around mid-Jan).

One other super small thing that I felt compelled to mention. Of all of my interviews, Dean Rivera is the only Dean who openly expressed a distaste for the ranking system that US News generates (essentially said those rankings don't matter, and they never mattered, even when NYU was ranked #2 in the nation). Honestly, this was such a green flag when I heard this, especially from a school where everyone assumes is trying to "game the system" in trying to climb the rankings. Legit the only Dean that has openly disregarded those rankings during an interview day I attended, which was so refreshing to hear.

Dean Rivera, if you're reading this, you're a G hahah (also, I really appreciate the spreadsheet tip you gave us about choosing a medical school!!)
Also heard 30-40 waitlist acceptances on my interview day so that sounds right