2023-2024 Texas Tech El Paso (Foster)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Foster School of Medicine posted this about their Residency Match. It's hard to read, so if anyone who's a current student has a written list of where the Matches are and what specialties, please DM it to me- Thanks, wysdoc

View attachment 384132
There should be a map of the rest of the US on the school FB page showing the other states students matched at.

I don't think there's a list out just yet, but we had some pretty impressive matches this year, including neurosurgery, ENT, derm, ortho, ophtho, and anesthesia, and people matching to some awesome, prestigious places.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Screenshot 2024-03-17 at 9.45.38 PM.png

Just goes to show to everyone doubting coming to med school here - you can go anywhere for residency! If anything, working with a truly underserved population on the border and gaining medical spanish skills will make you more attractive on residency apps.

Reactions: 2 users
Foster School of Medicine posted this about their Residency Match. It's hard to read, so if anyone who's a current student has a written list of where the Matches are and what specialties, please DM it to me- Thanks, wysdoc

View attachment 384132

On their Facebook page they have a video showcasing each student and where they matched. Here’s a link: Log into Facebook. Match results start at 1:04:27

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
How much waitlist movement is there at this school? And when can we expect movement to happen?

I'm planning on withdrawing my match here very soon, once I get my financial aid from another school in a week. Best of luck!
Good luck with the financial aid. Your 2 admissions seem to be at 2 extreme ends.

First time posting, sorry if I get this wrong.

I was wondering if there was some kind of group chat for accepted students planning to attend?

Hope everyone who didn't match here got in somewhere else!

When will waitlist offers be rolled out? How big is the waitlist pool?

Reactions: 1 user
When will waitlist offers be rolled out? How big is the waitlist pool?
I had the same question. I attended their re-applicant workshop. The way I understood it is that they are now on a rolling admission. On May 15th, which is the multiple offer deadline, they are expecting a lot of people to drop off. They are expecting a lot more movement from the waitlist from that day and moving forward. At least from what the lady from the admission office had said, they can still send out offers throughout the following month. That in previous years, they've sent out an offer the last day before their orientation/immersion day.
They were very "hush-hush" about the waitlist quantity smh.
I am by no means an expert on this though. Just a fellow waitlisted person anxiously awaiting for some sign.

Same but I only have till May 15th to get off the waitlist since I matched elsewhere. And waitlist offers don't frequent till then

Same but I only have till May 15th to get off the waitlist since I matched elsewhere. And waitlist offers don't frequent till then
I think we will see the beginning of WL offers the last half of April if this year is like the last 5 years.

• Care
Did you match to another TMDSAS school but prefer Foster?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, does anyone know when the commit to enroll deadline is for plfsom on the CYME tool for AMCAS? Since it opens on April 30, im guessing it’s some day in late May-June, but I’m having trouble finding it on the website. Thanks for any help!

Hello, does anyone know when the commit to enroll deadline is for plfsom on the CYME tool for AMCAS? Since it opens on April 30, im guessing it’s some day in late May-June, but I’m having trouble finding it on the website. Thanks for any help!
There is a deposit due on May 15th to keep a spot. Ideally, you should start making choices so that waitlisted folk can know what to do or so that you don't have to scramble later on. Hope this helps. Office of Admissions General Information | Texas Tech Health El Paso

Reactions: 1 users
Current student here! With the May 15th deadline approaching, does anyone have any last minute questions?

Current student here! With the May 15th deadline approaching, does anyone have any last minute questions?
Kind of an odd question: I was thinking about biking to school at least for the first 2 years if I live close enough - do you know if there are any indoor bike racks in any of the buildings?

Kind of an odd question: I was thinking about biking to school at least for the first 2 years if I live close enough - do you know if there are any indoor bike racks in any of the buildings?
I don't think there are any indoor bike racks. However, there are some on campus next to the main school buildings. I don't think it'll be an issue if you decide to take your bike inside for lecture though. I've seen boards and scooters inside.

anyone who has withdrawn an acceptance, how long did it take to show up on your AMCAS CYMS?

I don't think there are any indoor bike racks. However, there are some on campus next to the main school buildings. I don't think it'll be an issue if you decide to take your bike inside for lecture though. I've seen boards and scooters inside.
Good to know, thanks! I guess I'll give it a shot. I would also consider getting a scooter - Is it pretty common for people to bring scooters and boards?

I'm also mostly worried about El Paso roads being not smooth enough/traffic moving too fast if you have any opinions on that 😅. I've been able to mostly make things work in Houston by finding a route to work which avoids faster traffic/rougher areas of the road.

Good to know, thanks! I guess I'll give it a shot. I would also consider getting a scooter - Is it pretty common for people to bring scooters and boards?

I'm also mostly worried about El Paso roads being not smooth enough/traffic moving too fast if you have any opinions on that 😅. I've been able to mostly make things work in Houston by finding a route to work which avoids faster traffic/rougher areas of the road.
I wouldn't say it is common, but you do see a few of the same people do it. I imagine they live relatively close, because El Paso is not a very bike/scooter friendly city outside of the UTEP area. There's a pretty cool bike shop by UTEP called Crazy Cat Cyclery!

The El Paso subreddit might have some old threads about biking

Safe to assume there won't be much if any waitlist movement?
I was wondering the same. But I heard that this week is their graduation for the current MS4's and it is likely to be a slow week. Hopefully in the coming weeks we see more. I did look through this thread for last year's matriculating class and I only saw 4 people reported getting off of the waitlist. Now that is a low number but I am also praying for the fact that not everyone reports on SDN so maybe there were more. This was the similar situation for the incoming class before that. Their reports did, however, start back in april 2023...so that is a bit frustrating. Just gotta keep praying that accepted students get into their dream school so we can get into ours.
I will also add, in the Republic of Texas Forum, there has been a lot of movement in other schools. Hopefully PLFSOM will catch up soon.

PLFSOM accepts until orientation, so there is still hope! I know many people in my class that got accepted in June with a few the week of orientation!

MS4s graduate at the end of the month. However, the grad students and nursing students graduated this past weekend.