This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When is best to send a pre-II update letter to Yale?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if it’s okay to include the names of current med students in my letter of intent/update letter? I wanted to mention the community I’ve grown to have there and why it’s one of the reasons why I want to go to this med school? Is that frowned upon?
Far from an expert but my gut instinct is that a single general line about community with current students would be better than specifically mentioning names, as I don't think it is likely to have any sway and at worst could come off as an ineffective attempt at name-dropping.

Reactions: 1 user
Far from an expert but my gut instinct is that a single general line about community with current students would be better than specifically mentioning names, as I don't think it is likely to have any sway and at worst could come off as an ineffective attempt at name-dropping.

ah you’re right! Thank you!!

Would anyone happen to have an example of a letter of intent or a website that gives a good example? I’ve looked at quite a few different examples but not sure which one is the one I should go off from.

I think it's fine if you have their permission and if you write it in such a way that it feels genuine rather than "name dropping."

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone sent an update to Yale's portal? If so, does it let you preview the document after submitting (because my update doesn't for some reason)? I am only asking because other schools' portals allow document previews after submitting.

Has anyone sent an update to Yale's portal? If so, does it let you preview the document after submitting (because my update doesn't for some reason)? I am only asking because other schools' portals allow document previews after submitting.
It doesn't and no modifications either

• Wow
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone uploaded any of the additional documents like CV/resume or abstracts to the portal? I know some schools don’t allow it but I am wondering if it is worth it to upload at all even for schools that do?

Has anyone uploaded any of the additional documents like CV/resume or abstracts to the portal? I know some schools don’t allow it but I am wondering if it is worth it to upload at all even for schools that do?
use your best discretion. Is your CV a reiteration of your application or is there more meaningful info in there? For instance, I uploaded mine only because I could not include all my publications and grants in my primary and secondary and I thought it would be valuable as an upload. It is up to you.

Your primary app in all its detail serves as your resume, that’s why schools don’t ask you for one.

Your primary app in all its detail serves as your resume, that’s why schools don’t ask you for one.

Right, but what about all the other listed materials for Yale specifically? Abstracts, updates, etc.?

I uploaded an update letter that contained the details of some new research accomplishments (poster, publication, etc) and an award for something I do in my free time. Used the rest of the letter to reiterate my interest and thank them for consideration. I don't know if this was the "right" thing to do but oh well.

is it okay to send another update letter if it's been a month and a half, and I have a substantial update? I don't know whether I would be annoying them but I also recognize they are sending their last of invites right now?

is it okay to send another update letter if it's been a month and a half, and I have a substantial update? I don't know whether I would be annoying them but I also recognize they are sending their last of invites right now?
How do you know they're sending their last wave right now?

How do you know they're sending their last wave right now?
I am just assuming given SDN thread this year and last year. It also seems like they were scheduling into feb (which is last month that they interview)

tbh i would send it (esp if substantial). sure maybe it’s annoying but for peace of mind i’d rather do everything that i can and then it’s up to them to decide to send an ii or not. good luck :)

Reactions: 2 users
tbh i would send it (esp if substantial). sure maybe it’s annoying but for peace of mind i’d rather do everything that i can and then it’s up to them to decide to send an ii or not. good luck :)
i used the same logic when deciding whether or not to send mine. can't hurt!

Reactions: 3 users
Would it make sense to sent post-ii update before the decision or after? Should I wait to see if waitlisted?

The update is for a publication about research which is highly relevant to the kind of research i said i would want to do as a student at yale

Would it make sense to sent post-ii update before the decision or after? Should I wait to see if waitlisted?

The update is for a publication about research which is highly relevant to the kind of research i said i would want to do as a student at yale
I don't think it can hurt to send it now because they consider all aspects and updates of your application whether they will accept you now or waitlist

Just curious, for those of you who have interviewed, did you receive a follow-up email from your interviewer(s)?

I see on cycle track that there are people already getting rejected from Yale's MSTP program, but I thought Yale doesn't have rolling admissions and only releases rejections at the end of the cycle? Did these people receive an ii for Yale's MD-only program, which is why they knew they were rejected from their MSTP?

I see on cycle track that there are people already getting rejected from Yale's MSTP program, but I thought Yale doesn't have rolling admissions and only releases rejections at the end of the cycle? Did these people receive an ii for Yale's MD-only program, which is why they knew they were rejected from their MSTP?
You get get rejected from MSTP without an MD II

MSTP II today! Multiple dates available in January

Reactions: 2 users
is anyone having trouble accessing the portal?
I can access it fine right now, although over the weekend, I logged in and it had me reset my password for some reason. Maybe it's related to that?

I can access it fine right now, although over the weekend, I logged in and it had me reset my password for some reason. Maybe it's related to that?
+1. Was checking my portals today and randomly had to reset my password. I was curious if this happened to anyone else, guess it did.

I also had to reset my password, does that mean I've been accepted pre-ii?

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 10 users
Just reset my password - should I still send a LOI or is that sufficient to demonstrate my interest?

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Just heard from someone in admissions that Jan 5th is the last, scheduled day of MD interviews

Reactions: 3 users