Applying Early Decision to an MD school: Can you still apply DO schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sai.dn

Reaction score
I am considering applying Early Decision at a US MD school.
I know I cannot apply to other MD schools until I get a decision back from my ED school.
However, I am wondering if I can still apply to DO medical schools, through AACOMAS, before I get my ED school's decision?

Members don't see this ad.

You can do this, but it's generally not recommended. The worst case scenario is that you don't get in via ED, you enter the general MD applicant pool late, and you rack up one or more DO acceptance while second guessing your desire to take the osteopathic route. This can lead to a lifetime of what-ifs.

If you're competitive for ED, then just stick to a MD application strategy this cycle. If it doesn't work out, then convert to general MD + DO schools next cycle.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Don’t apply ED unless you would only enter med school at that school (ie for family reasons) or you have a near guarantee of admission

Reactions: 1 user
I am considering applying Early Decision at a US MD school.
I know I cannot apply to other MD schools until I get a decision back from my ED school.
However, I am wondering if I can still apply to DO medical schools, through AACOMAS, before I get my ED school's decision?
Have you talked to,anyone at the school you are planning to apply to? It is usually suggested that you make an appointment and have your application package reviewed and see if you are considered competitive for ED at that school. Applying ED is risky because you can’t apply anywhere else until you hear from the initial school. That puts you months behind other applicants. Good luck.

Reactions: 4 users