Applying Early Decision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mra1738

Reaction score
How can I determine if applying Early Decision is the right choice for me? One of my top choice school participates in the AMCAS' Early Decision Program but I am afraid if I get denied from the school I will be applying too late in the cycle for other schools. Does Early Decision give you a better chance at getting accepted to your top choice school or is it better to apply to a wide range of schools early in the cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

Better to apply to a range of schools. It can make sense for ED if the applicant has a very competitive application and needs to stay in the area due to family or some other reasons (like at a state school).

Meeting with admissions to discuss ED chances at that school is a necessary step too.

Reactions: 4 users
I am afraid if I get denied from the school I will be applying too late in the cycle for other schools.
This is why it is almost universally a bad idea to apply ED. It's all benefit to the schools--they get to lock in a few students they really want early on and prevent them from getting offers from other schools, while you bear all the risk of being too late to apply elsewhere if they don't accept you. Unless you literally are only applying to one school and would rather reapply than go anywhere else, ED is not recommended.

Reactions: 2 users
How can I determine if applying Early Decision is the right choice for me? One of my top choice school participates in the AMCAS' Early Decision Program but I am afraid if I get denied from the school I will be applying too late in the cycle for other schools. Does Early Decision give you a better chance at getting accepted to your top choice school or is it better to apply to a wide range of schools early in the cycle?
You generally schedule a meeting with the school's admissions dean (or a rep) prior to applying ED. That person will review your application and tell you if it's advisable to put your eggs in the ED basket. If they express any hesitation about you chances then just apply in the regular cycle.

It's best to apply ED if you have a stellar application and can articulate an extremely compelling reason for choosing that particular school.

Reactions: 1 users