Question on Early Decision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

type1doc

Reaction score
I am interested in applying early decision to my state school. My stats are above their required minimums to do it. I have heard you should talk to admissions regarding your fit for early decision. Are there any specific questions you would ask to make sure the school is right for you and that early decision will be the smart choice?

Members don't see this ad.

For you:
Are your stats above their top 90th percentile? How do you match their mission? What compels you to apply to that one school at the risk of not being in anywhere else for a year?

For them:
Are they accepting EDP applications? How many get accepted this way (over the last three years)? Can you talk with them?

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
For you:
Are your stats above their top 90th percentile? How do you match their mission? What compels you to apply to that one school at the risk of not being in anywhere else for a year?

For them:
Are they accepting EDP applications? How many get accepted this way (over the last three years)? Can you talk with them?
My GPA is in the 90th percentile, but my MCAT is 1 point above the median MCAT, so under the 75th percentile. It is also 3 points above the minimum MCAT score they require for ED. I did not know that being in the top 90th percentile would be required?

I am very interested in diabetes and they have a diabetes research center. I do not yet have a clear answer on how I would exactly match their mission. Are there any resources available to see what a medical school's mission statement is and how I would know if I match it?

Aside from it being in-state and close to family, I would hopefully get placed at a regional campus where my wife would be finishing her nursing degree. We would also be close to our social support network which I believe would be beneficial for going through medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
My GPA is in the 90th percentile, but my MCAT is 1 point above the median MCAT, so under the 75th percentile. It is also 3 points above the minimum MCAT score they require for ED. I did not know that being in the top 90th percentile would be required?

I am very interested in diabetes and they have a diabetes research center. I do not yet have a clear answer on how I would exactly match their mission. Are there any resources available to see what a medical school's mission statement is and how I would know if I match it?

Aside from it being in-state and close to family, I would hopefully get placed at a regional campus where my wife would be finishing her nursing degree. We would also be close to our social support network which I believe would be beneficial for going through medical school.

Some EDPs want to hold onto very high stats applicants who fit their mission. Again, you should ask them questions to see if you are better served applying as a regular applicant. We can't answer for them.

Reactions: 1 user
I am interested in applying early decision to my state school. My stats are above their required minimums to do it. I have heard you should talk to admissions regarding your fit for early decision. Are there any specific questions you would ask to make sure the school is right for you and that early decision will be the smart choice?
I’d see if you can give them a call about it (or email chain works too) and share your situation to the office about that. Try to be tactful and don’t be too pushy if they don’t disclose EDP admissions stats that you’d like to hear like the EDP acceptance rate or Other useful data that isn’t listed in the schools’s EDP website. Most EDP programs are not transparent about their admissions data, whether you like it or not, and you just gotta be respectful if they decline to answer questions about that. Unfortunately because of that, applying EDP can be like applying blind to only one school, which is a significant risk to consider with applying EDP

For you:

For them:
also, if you’re applying this cycle, isn’t it kinda late to apply EDP for most med schools? Cuz EDP app deadlines are usually late July to Early August, right? And I also agree that you need to spin your application secondary essays such that they align closely with that med school’s mission and medical focus.

I’d see if you can give them a call about it (or email chain works too) and share your situation to the office about that. Try to be tactful and don’t be too pushy if they don’t disclose EDP admissions stats that you’d like to hear like the EDP acceptance rate or Other useful data that isn’t listed in the schools’s EDP website. Most EDP programs are not transparent about their admissions data, whether you like it or not, and you just gotta be respectful if they decline to answer questions about that. Unfortunately because of that, applying EDP can be like applying blind to only one school, which is a significant risk to consider with applying EDP

also, if you’re applying this cycle, isn’t it kinda late to apply EDP for most med schools? Cuz EDP app deadlines are usually late July to Early August, right? And I also agree that you need to spin your application secondary essays such that they align closely with that med school’s mission and medical focus.
This Thursday I have a call with admissions! This will be for next cycle! My goal is to find out if I would be a good candidate for ED.

Anything Mr.Smile says is always gold.

Just remember this is a pretty big gamble for you- you can only apply to the one school, and then if you don't get in, it's late in the cycle when you apply to all the others.

At our school the early decision people seem to be the ones with somewhat marginal scores who really fit our mission, and they use the early app to communicate to us that they mean what they say when they say they meet our mission. This helpes some otherwise less competitive applicants get in. The ones with horrible scores still don't get in, though. And this is only my school. Other schools may not care at all if you're early, hence why you should make that phone call

Reactions: 3 users