Dumb question…where on AMCAS does one indicate that this is an Early Decision application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreMedMissteps

The Great West Coast
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dumb question…where on AMCAS does one indicate that this is an Early Decision application?
I have googled and looked on AAMC and both seem to skip over that detail.
I’ve looked over a blank AMCAS and don’t see where to indicate on that either.
I would think that either towards the top of first page of AMCAS or in the area where you list the actual school, there would be a place to indicate that the app is ED

Members don't see this ad.

I have googled and looked on AAMC and both seem to skip over that detail.
I’ve looked over a blank AMCAS and don’t see where to indicate on that either.
I would think that either towards the top of first page of AMCAS or in the area where you list the actual school, there would be a place to indicate that the app is ED
Please read page 63 of the AMCAS guide.
1. You may only apply to ONE school ED.
***edited to add that if you apply to that one ED school, you cannot also apply to other schools Regular Decision.***
This is quite different from what you can do with college applications.
2. You must wait until you are accepted or released from that school to send an application to ANY other med schools, AMCAS or non-AMCAS.
3. If you are released (not accepted ) by your ED school THEN you may add more schools to your AMCAS list.

Your ED school doesn't have to make a decision on you until October 1, which makes applying ED quite risky and would make your submission to other schools, if needed, very late.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I could be misremembering, but I believe when you add a school to apply there's an option to select ED if the school offers it.

Reactions: 1 users