Are my pre-med courses too old?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johnlin

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, everyone,

If my pre-med courses are 7 or 8 years old by the time I

apply to medical schools, are they too old to be considerable?

Thanks very much:)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm applying 7-8 yrs after my last premed prerequisite course. I had an interview at my state school a month ago, so I don't think the courses are too old. (I did take my MCAT in April 2002 and scored well to show them that I still knew my stuff. 12PS, 13BS) I think the MCAT is more important for us if it has been a long time since we took a prereq course.

It has also been 7-8 years since I took my pre-requisites, or any science courses for that matter. When I decided that I was going to re-apply to medical school I sat down with a professor I got to know pretty well in undergrad. I did research with him for 3 semesters, and he also served as a pre-med advisor for me, as well as many others, in 1994. I spoke with him about whether I should re-take any of these courses or take new science courses before I applied. He thought it was completely unnecessary. However, I had a strong science GPA to begin with and I had received straight As in the prerequisite classes. I think that if you did not perform well when you orginally took those classes or if you had a weak science GPA, taking the prerequisites or other science courses might be in order. I also think it is important you score well in the science sections of the MCAT. I didn't do quite as well as dpark, but I think I scored well enough (10ps, 13bs) to show adcomms I have retained much of the science I knew in
1994-1995.

I did have a conversation with another pre-med advisor who urged me to take some recent science courses. I told her what the first professor told me; namely his reasoning that I already had a strong science GPA as well as solid MCAT scores. She said that although she agreed with his reasoning, she was concerned that some medical schools still might want recent science course work. I chose not to take any more science classes, chiefly because my current job barely gave me enough time to study for the MCAT or volunteer (although I have been slacking big time since I got my August MCAT scores and I expect one of the managing partners to give me a stearn talking to shortly). I hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
it depends on the school. Some, like Duke, specifically state pre-reqs must have been taken within 7 years of applying.

Hey, boy wonder,

Do you happen to know what other schools specifically require this? I'm not applying to Duke, and I don't remember seeing this requirement in any of the 17 schools I applied to, but I just thought I'd see if you knew any others.

Camden,

when I was making up my list of schools to apply to I specifically looked for this as it was less important to me to apply to any particular school than to re-sit physics 1 and 2! I rememember there were a couple of schools that said they followed this policy and I should have it in my notes but they are at home (believe it or not...I call sitting reading SDN "Being at work" :) ). I will try and dig out the list when I get home.

i took all my premed courses from 93-95 and am applying this year. the only place i've come across that has a requirement about how recent your courses are is duke. i do have a few more recent biology courses i took when i got my master's degree 98-00. hopefully that's not true about having to prove yourself on the mcat science sections, because i didn't do all that well on them. but hey, i didn't retain most of it and had to relearn everything plus learn some basic bio i never knew in a few months. we'll see what happens. good luck!

Originally posted by lola
i took all my premed courses from 93-95 and am applying this year. the only place i've come across that has a requirement about how recent your courses are is duke. i do have a few more recent biology courses i took when i got my master's degree 98-00. hopefully that's not true about having to prove yourself on the mcat science sections, because i didn't do all that well on them. but hey, i didn't retain most of it and had to relearn everything plus learn some basic bio i never knew in a few months. we'll see what happens. good luck!

Nobody actually told me it was "important" to score well on the MCAT science sections, I just agreed with dpark's reasoning that it could help. If you've taken recent science courses and done well I wouldn't worry about it.