BCOM-FL vs. LMU-DCOM vs. KYCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chemislovechemislife

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
BCOM-Florida
Pros
P/F preclinical
Great emphasis on value of service
Lots of student orgs to choose
Main New Mexico campus has decent match, would assume this will be similar.
Great location - on Florida Tech campus, close to the beach and Orlando.
3 hour direct flight back home

Cons
For profit school - unsure how this would affect the way the school is run
Inaugural class :/
Possibly private loans, but may also not need to take them out
Unsure how well I could match in the Northeast for my specialty
Unsure how 3rd/4th year rotations will work....
Basically, will be the guinea pig for this location

LMU-DCOM Harrogate (WL for Knoxville)
Pros
Very supportive faculty
Gorgeous campus
Family close by, 2 hour flight back home.
About a third of students matching into the specialty I want to match into the North East
Seems like a decent first time pass on Comlex 1

Cons
ABCF grading
Have heard horror stories of attrition
Heard of a story in 2020 where either the Dean or President was fired for being outspoken on a social justice issue....
Heard that there are poor rotation sites, although I've heard mixed opinions.
Worried that opening the Jacksonville Campus will lower the quality of our instruction
Low COL

KYCOM (University of Pikeville)
Pros
Had an extremely positive experience interviewing
Supportive faculty
Low COL
KYCOM advantage - laptop, iPad, omm bench, stethoscope, first round of board exams, textbooks all paid for

Cons
ABCF grading
Very far from airports to come back home
Very rural location without anything to do
They don't match many students to the Northeast and I don't know if that's because students don't prefer this area, or if they are unable to do so.

Summary:
Tuition aside - Is the idea of being an inaugural class at a for profit school that has been established elsewhere with P/F curriculum better or worse than going to a more established school with graded curriculum and questionable rotation sites?
I'm leaning towards excluding KYCOM just because they don't seem to match well into the northeast and I wouldn't be able to visit home as often due to proximity to the airport.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't go to LMU and it's not even debatable, that place is a post-apocalyptic hellscape.

Idk about the others.

Being an inaugural class is bad, yeah. The kinks will not be worked out, and the shortcomings might get blamed on you (at least that's what happened to me).

You will end up paying over 1 MIL in loans if you go with the Florida BCOM campus. They do not have federal aid and it could take years. Private loan interest rates are more than a mortgage loan. Not worth it if you get accepted elsewhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
You will end up paying over 1 MIL in loans if you go with the Florida BCOM campus. They do not have federal aid and it could take years. Private loan interest rates are more than a mortgage loan. Not worth it if you get accepted elsewhere.
Money aside, it seems like a good program. They just got accredited with exceptional outcome. Downside is they dont have solid research, but I likely won't want something competitive (EM)