Cornell vs. Vanderbilt (WL)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mindlessduck

Reaction score
Hi Everyone! I’m currently trying to decide between Cornell and sending a letter of intent to Vandy and I’d appreciate any advice! Thank you!

To preface, I’m interested in a competitive specialty, but unsure if I want to pursue academic medicine/private practice.

Cornell:

Pros-
  • Loved the vibe at ASW and felt like I could fit in
  • Familiar with NYC so the transition wouldn’t be too difficult
  • A lot of college friends live in NYC/Long Island so I’d have a solid support system there
  • Diverse student body
  • 6 months dedicated for research + Area of concentration
  • Housing isn't too expensive bc its subsidized
  • Opportunity to do research/rotations abroad which I’m definitely interested in
  • Have always dreamt of living in NYC for some part of my life
  • Will likely be $10-15k/year cheaper than Vandy
  • P/F preclinical
  • Opportunity to do research @ HSS, MSK, Rockefeller

Cons-
  • AOA pre-match
  • Honors/HP/P/F clinicals which might lead to more competition with students
  • Weekly quizzes/exams in the first semester and then biweekly second semester- hard to get breaks
  • Olin Hall - I enjoy cooking and the thought of having to cook in a communal kitchen sounds dreadful
  • NYC might be a distraction?? Or I might feel like I can’t enjoy the city bc im busy/stressed with school
  • Student Q&A session during interview day was a little off-putting bc students seemed stressed but then at ASW all of the students sounded like they had great work-life balance so just confused lol

Vandy:

Pros-
  • True P/F in preclinical and clinical years
  • No AOA or internal ranking
  • LOVED the vibes during interview day and all the students seemed really really happy
  • The school’s focus on student wellness is really apparent
  • Smallish city which is what I’ve been used to during my gap year so I think I’d maybe like it in med school too
  • Opportunity to get a certificate in neurodevelopmental disabilities - this was one of my favorite things about the school and is a cause that I’m really passionate about
  • Flexible third year to do research/explore interests
  • 3-6 months of dedicated research time
  • The housing system helps provide mentorship and a stronger sense of community
  • the weather!!

Cons-
  • $10-15k more expensive than Cornell
  • I’ve always wanted to live in NYC and not sure if I would want to live there for residency so maybe I’ll regret not going there for med school
  • Although I like the idea of 1 year preclinical, having exams every 6-8 weeks seems a little overwhelming because of the amount of material tested
  • Apartment-style living with its own kitchen but more expensive than Cornell’s subsidized housing
  • No support system nearby (would have to fly to go home/see college friends)
  • Would likely need a car on campus which increases costs
  • Less diverse city/patient population

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Cornell/ NYC has good support system, cheaper, amazing location (both in terms of opportunities and personal life), and its a very prestigious program that will open doors to any specialty and any practice you want. Combined with the fact that you loved ASW, if I were you I'd commit to Cornell and enjoy the next two months doing the things you love until you transition to med school. Congrats!!
Thank you!! I'm definitely leaning that way. I hope you have a great summer!

Reactions: 1 user
I would stick with Cornell! They accepted you and you know more of what you are getting into. Support system is also very underrated and you seem like you would be happy there.

Reactions: 1 user
I would stick with Cornell! They accepted you and you know more of what you are getting into. Support system is also very underrated and you seem like you would be happy there.
Thank you! Committed to Cornell - go big red!! ❤️🐻

• Love
Reactions: 2 users