During virtual interviews, should I look at the camera or the screen?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vaguspremed

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am unsure if it's better to maintain eye contact through the camera or choose the more comfortable route of looking at the screen.

Members don't see this ad.

You want to make eye contact while you are simultaneously able to see and react to the person you are talking to. I find that it helps to place the image of the person you're talking to near the camera. For a good example of what to do, watch how newscasters present themselves on screen. If you are unused to being on screen, practice a mock interview with someone in your kitchen cabinet and have them record you. That way you can iron out any flaws prior to your first interview. Good luck!

Reactions: 3 users
Look at the camera. There are ways to configure your Zoom so that you see only the speaker rather than seeing yourself and the speaker. If seeing yourself is a distraction, (it isn't normal) then this is a good work-around.

Have the Zoom page positioned close to the camera so that you look up at the person and naturally look into the camera.

At my school, we've been asked not to "take off points" for lack of eye contact on Zoom but it can create an implicit bias.

Reactions: 4 users