Hooding Ceremony

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

THE instiGATOR

Cow Tipper
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard of schools that will only allow MDs or DOs to hood their graduates (parents must hold one of these degrees to participate). My school does not have such a rule, and parents are allowed to hood with or without an MD/DO. Is this typical? Being the first person in my family to earn a professional degree, I am very curious about this ceremony.

Members don't see this ad.

We're allowed to chose whoever we want to hood us, regardless of whether or not they have a degree. My friend graduated with her PharmD, and had to be hooded by her professors.

WHat is hooding? It sounds so creepy. And when does it happen?

Members don't see this ad :)
TracksuitsRock said:
WHat is hooding? It sounds so creepy. And when does it happen?

sounds like it happens at night, deep in the woods, somewhere in Mississippi, with a gigantic flaming cross in the background

DW3843 said:
sounds like it happens at night, deep in the woods, somewhere in Mississippi, with a gigantic flaming cross in the background
No, it's not nearly that dramatic. :laugh: Basically, when you graduate with a doctorate of any kind, your degree is conferred upon you by someone putting a hood on you rather than by you moving the tassel of your mortarboard like you do for a bachelor's degree. For a Ph.D., it is usually your major professor who hoods you. The hood is not really a hood at all; it actually drapes over your shoulders. You can't wear a hood on your head, b/c you are wearing a tam or mortarboard. (We use tams at my school, which are these soft hats that look like really dorky little berets.)

OP, I haven't earned my MD yet, so I don't know what the usual custom is as far as who will hood you. I think that if your school allows your parents to do it, and you want them to do it, then you should go for it. :)

Here is a picture of someone getting hooded:

hooding2.jpg