I don't mean to beat a dead horse but....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Paranoid Android

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all. This is my first post on this message board. First of all, hello to all of you, good luck in your pursuit of medicine! So I've noticed a few people posting some of their info and asking advice, and I'd like to do the same. Please be honest, even if it is harsh!

I just got back my April MCAT scores, I ended up with a 36 O. I'm pretty pumped about the 36, but none to thrilled with the O. My GPA is 3.935. I have worked no less than 30 hours a week at a hospital throughout my undergraduate years at the University of Utah doing phlebotomy, EKGs, and helping assist with patient care in something similar to what a CNA might do. I currently work in a research lab and will continue to do so until I write my Honors Thesis on my research subject next spring. I have also just started as a volunteer at a health care clinic for the homeless in Salt Lake City, along with a few other non-medical volunteer experiences, and more stuff that would probably seem like rambling.

I'm considering applying to Johns Hopkins, Stanford, Oregon Health Sciences, and of course the University of Utah, among other schools. What do you all think of my chances of being accepted to any of the schools listed? Is it worth my money and effort, or am I setting my goals a little too high?

Thanks for your help and honest opinions.

"Life is waiting for you....." -Raine Maida

Members don't see this ad.

oh SHUUUUUT UP BRAGGART! Let the flames begin!

Originally posted by moo:
•oh SHUUUUUT UP BRAGGART! Let the flames begin!•

LoL :)

Members don't see this ad :)
are you serious??? 36 MCAT, 3.9 GPA, clinical experience, research experience, volunteer experience.....i can't think of any schools you WOULDN'T be competetive at. you really must be paranoid.

The post may be a bit obtuse, but what a great username! (my favorite song of their's).

Relax. I think this post is meant as a joke.

Mango - there are places where you could actually get yourself beat up just for using a word like obtuse. Be carefull.

Mikado, I know, that's what's so fun about using it! It pushes so many buttons. ;)

Besides, he was being obtuse.

Originally posted by Paranoid Android:
•What do you all think of my chances of being accepted to any of the schools listed? Is it worth my money and effort, or am I setting my goals a little too high?•
I don't recall anyone asking you to brag. Oh that's right, no invitation necessary-- You do it of your own accord. Tell me, are you really that insecure that you need a bunch of anonymous internet premeds to give you OUR approval before you apply? Or do you just enjoy the EGO boosting (not that you need it), that comes with the posts you expected (i.e Wow! That's an amazing MCAT. You're a God!) PUHLEESE. :mad: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Your chances are good.

I really do not know what your aim is with this post. I have tried to refrain from posting on threads like this for a while, and I really have no feelings towards you either way. I just want to know why you would post this. Do you want to hear from those with lesser stats who got in on their first time around or would you rather hear from those who had greater stats who did not get in on their first try? I am genuinely interested to hear why you would post this. I knew nothing about the application process nor the MCAT until I took it and got back my scores. I did not even turn in my application until a week before it was due. Your knowledge about the process is way ahead of where mine was at this time in the process, but I knew I would be accepted to medical school because I knew myself and I knew I would be a strong candidate for med school ( I knew this before I ever even began undergrad). Do you not know this about yourself? If not, then your chances of gaining admission lower. If so, then your chances are much higher.
Seriously, explain what types of answers you are seeking. I just cannot figure it out. Maybe my brain is just numb from watching Charlie's Angels.

Why do so many people watch Charlie's Angels? You are the third person tonight who has mentioned that show...

Maybe I'm missing something...

Charlie's Angels is great! MEAT's Angels are even better. ;)

I think I agree with Mango's post -- this post just smacks of our old friend KidA.

I've been posting on a ton of these types of threads, mostly because I remember times during undergrad and the application process when I felt very overwhelmed by the "pre-med thing" and I needed to get feedback, encouragement, whatever. While I don't think I ever posted a "Do I have a shot" thread, I don't mind responding to those who do -- it's kind of an overwhelming process at time, and it helps to get advice from those who have recently been through it, or who are already well on their way in med school and have a little more perspective on things.

I guess what I hope most is that all the posters currently asking for their chances based on GPA and MCAT scores realize that the posters here really cannot give them anymore informed advice than what they could get from the MSAR or a "How to Get Into Med School" book at Barnes & Noble -- in fact, most of the advice that is being given right now is probably significantly based on those books, in addition to a few premed advisors here and there.

To sum up, for all of you curious premeds, has anyone with a 3.0+ GPA and a 26+ MCAT ever been accepted to med school? Yes. Since those are your stats, or since yours fall above that range, does that mean you will necessarily get accepted? No.

WOW! It's amazing how fast you all get riled up! Not that my intention was to anger you all, or to be obtuse, but WOW! So I didn't really want to be a troll that just came in and started a big commotion and then left, so I'm just here to say, YES IT WAS A JOKE. That is not my GPA, I've yet to take the MCAT, and I won't apply to med school for another year. If you look on MedicalGold's message board, I did the same thing over there with the name George W. Bush. I guess I was just in an OBTUSE mood last night ;) I just have to agree with lilycat in saying that if you have a GPA over 3.6 and an MCAT over 30, you will be competitive and most schools you apply to. However, it's hard for anyone to predict your performance in an interview and your actual chances of acceptance, there are just too many factors......Ok, hope that cleared up the water, those flames were starting to hurt.

"I am myself, like you somehow...." Ed Vedder

Members don't see this ad :)
OOPS. Sorry to have misunderstood. :oops: It's very easy to get me excited and angry, as is evident with my last post, I'm sure. I guess the frustration keeps building when those type of posts are actually what you see from time to time!

Ahhhh, Lilycat the detective.

So Paranoid Android, are you KidA?

:D

Who is this KidA? I've seen the same screename on the Cross Campus forum at the Daily Jolt before.

I particularly liked the gpa to the thousandth place... nice touch. :D

Nanon

Alas, I think I'm wrong about this being KidA -- the explanatory post would not be KidA's style -- however the purpose behind the original post was somewhat reminiscent of KidA.

Well, it was fun while it lasted. And I agree lilycat, it's not KidA's style to explain his actions.

No, I am not KidA.......btw, are you Mango like the character on Saturday Night Live? :cool:

Mango: Where's that damn signature when you need it? :D

Yeah, no kidding! I hate having to use it, but I would hate it more if people thought I liked that ridiculous character.

Here it is, in all its obnoxiousness:

Paranoid Android, you want to do something to make up for your less than spectacular writing section? Make sure your personal statement is solid, and that the secondaries are perfect. I'm sure you probably know that... btw congrats on your MCAT. Also make sure that you come across in the interview as a real person, not just a perfectionist pre-med who is trying to take the longest path. You seem like a nice person who doesn't deserve to get flamed by children who have too much time on their hands. Good luck, Paranoid!

There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. - Nelson Mandela

Originally posted by Paranoid Android:
•I'm just here to say, YES IT WAS A JOKE. That is not my GPA, I've yet to take the MCAT, and I won't apply to med school for another year.•

Ummmm, modemduck, didn't you read this?

Jamier2: no, i didn't thanks for the info :p