Iowa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Originally posted by wyo
I moved from #3 on the non-resident waitlist to #2.

Maybe you'll get your acceptance as a birthday present! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks Woots!! I was hoping that it would be waiting for me when I got back from spending the weekend back at college for some friends graduations. It showing up as a b-day present would be awesome. Good luck to everyone still waiting.

The non-resident list is now moving. I just called them and my acceptance letter went out yesterday. Good luck to everyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by wyo
The non-resident list is now moving. I just called them and my acceptance letter went out yesterday. Good luck to everyone.

Hah! I called it! :D ;)

:clap: Congrats wyo! :clap:

Well, I bought a condo on Westwinds Drive! It's an awesome 3br-1.5 bath townhouse style with a garage and deck. :D Here's the description I poster in the Housing Forum. Any SDNers looking for a roomie? ;)

So is anyone else out there planning on being a Hawkeye?

Originally posted by wyo
So is anyone else out there planning on being a Hawkeye?

I'd practically kill to be a Hawk! ;) The waitlist can't move fast enough.

Congrats on your acceptance wyo!

Thanks. I hope they speed up for you. It just seems really lonely as far as acceptances go in this thread. I was hoping there were more people hiding out there that were planning on starting in Iowa City in the fall. To all of you on the waitlist: Good luck.

Anyone hear anything. I am still hoping to get in off the waitlist but I probably can't get too optimistic since I am now only in the twenties on the out-of-state list. At least the admissions staff is always really nice when you call.

Hey,

For any of you who visited Iowa more than once, could you let me know your impressions? I got accepted into Iowa and the IMEI program, and I was getting ready to move to Iowa in about 1.5 weeks. But today, I got accepted into Temple as well. I'm VERY conflicted, because I have to give a response in a few days. I want to visit both Iowa and Temple again before I make a decision, but I don't really have the time. I like both schools very much and I'm leaning more towards Iowa. It would help to hear your comments, especially ones that reconfirm my preference for Iowa.

Thanks!

H.T.

Elizabeth5863,

I only visited Iowa Once, but am incredibly excited about starting school in the fall. First, I don't care at all about the size of Iowa City. I know that some people do, but I think that it seemed to have a lot going on. I think being a college town brings a lot of cultural diversity that you wouldn't normally see in a town that size. I loved the downtown when I went out with another applicant and it's got Big Ten athletics.

As far as the school goes. I think the facilities wer great. The new building was top-notch and also showed a commitment to students that I didn't feel at other schools. I mean they built a lot of that building based on student surveys and comments about what students wanted. They have excellent research and international opportunties and I think that the curriculum sounds good. These are some of the reasons that I loved Iowa. If you have any more questions PM me.

weirdo,

when I tlaked with admissions it sounded like they usually took 60-80 off the out-of-state waitlist. I know they say that between 20-30 of the people that attend are off the waitlist, but I think that they accept many more. Good luck! Hope to see you in Iowa City in August.

wyo,

Thank you for your comments! I talked to my family and friends last night and we all agreed that I would probably be happier at Iowa than at Temple. Your comments though provided further justification for going to Iowa. See you in the fall! :)

I went to Iowa City yesterday to check out my new condo! :love:

Now all I need is a cool roommate! Anyone interested please PM or AIM me (screen name: woots32).

:D

Members don't see this ad :)
Elizabeth5683,

Congrats on your admission to Iowa and Temple. I understand your predicament. I've lived in Iowa since 2000, after moving from Atlanta, GA. Iowa City is a great place - tons of cultural diversity. It's also quiet (even for the most part on football Saturdays, with the exception of Kinnick Stadium), extremely safe, and has a lot of features of a big city. I realize in medical school that you won't have a lot of time to hang out, but these things are great features of the town.

Carver College of Medicine has some great new facilities. The faculty and staff are absolutely wonderful, and I think you would probably really happy here. In addition to medicine, UI has many many great programs (Writer's Workshop, law, etc.). I've also heard great things about IMEI, as well.

I really hope you choose Iowa (of course, I'm partial!), and I'll see you in a couple of weeks at the informal get-together and sandwich buffet.

-Tomi

It's so good to see a few more people that are excited about Iowa. Can't wait to meet everyone in August.

Brian

Hey gang -

I'm already in Iowa City (I just celebrated my 3 year anniversary of moving here) - feel free to PM me, and I'd be happy to give you my email/phone number in case you need any help once you folks get here.

We should try to plan an SDN pizza party before school starts! :cool:

-Tomi

Originally posted by motmas
Hey gang -

I'm already in Iowa City (I just celebrated my 3 year anniversary of moving here) - feel free to PM me, and I'd be happy to give you my email/phone number in case you need any help once you folks get here.

We should try to plan an SDN pizza party before school starts! :cool:

-Tomi

I'm going to get a grill for the deck at my condo! We can have a barbeque! :D

I just got a $10,000 College of Medicine Scholars scholarship! Thank you, Carver College of Medicine!

:D :D :D :D :D

big congrats. Now, I'm very jealous.

Any other new Hawkeyes out there??

Well I called and I just get the feeling that I will either not make it or make admission by a very slim margin. I would attend Iowa over the two schools I am accepted at, but would have a hard time if one of the Cali schools took me off their waitlist. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Originally posted by weirdo700
Well I called and I just get the feeling that I will either not make it or make admission by a very slim margin. I would attend Iowa over the two schools I am accepted at, but would have a hard time if one of the Cali schools took me off their waitlist. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Weirdo, what makes you get that feeling? I've been hoping to get off the waitlist too, but I wonder if it's even still moving.

First party of med school! :D

Wyo and I will be throwing a shindig/hullabaloo/kegger ( ;) ) at our condo, probably the weekend before classes start. More details to come. :)

This is true. Is there anyone else out there planning on going to Iowa? I sure hope so. I would hate for Woots and my social gathering to be a flop.

Weirdo and HoMuffin, I hope you guys get in. I'll keep trying to send good vibes your way. Good luck!!

Thanks Wyo! I hope they work, so I can attend this shindig! :D

wyo thanks for the support. I'll send some good vibes your way just cuz you are that cool. Hope I get the chance to be your classmate. I don't know why but I kind of have this strange belief that my destiny lies with Iowa. Don't ask me why...but there were a couple of signs. First off after I came back from my interview I got back to my apartment in the bay area and flipped on the television and fell asleep. I wake up a couple of hours later and Field of dreams happens to be on (I left the tv on some movie channel). Not only that...but in the movie its the part where the baseball player says, "This must be heaven...where am I?" and Kevin Costner says, "Iowa." I was like hey I was just there...it was kind of surreal. Not only that I met some guy on the plane ride back that happened to own a couple of companies. He told me about his life (moved from California to Iowa) and his best friend who happens to be the head of cardiology at UCLA (my alma mater) and told me how he could hook me up if I ended up at Iowa. This all happened in the span of 24 hours...and when I look back it sounds so much like a dream (I did only get 3 hrs of sleep the night before...which explains why I crashed on my couch with the TV on). Previous to this...I have heard Iowa mentioned a couple of times. One was when I was coming back from my Wakeforest interview the previous application cycle (i am a reapplicant). We were on a bumpy plane ride and this Lady next to me was telling me her life story in Iowa. After not gaining admission that year I decided hey I should check off Iowa on my ACMAS. Not only that, but on my plane ride back from my interview at Chicago I also happen to sit next to someone from Iowa. It just so happens that my boss in the lab right now also has some collaborators at Iowa and is actually from the midwest. My newly employed coworker is also from the midwest and has talked to me about her trips to Iowa city. Its weird that a school and a state that seemed so obscure to me all my life has just recently been making itself more noticeable and appealing to me. I never got this feeling from any other school...and I just wanted to share. Sorry for the digression....Good vibes going your way. :)

wyo thanks for the support. I'll send some good vibes your way just cuz you are that cool. Hope I get the chance to be your classmate. I don't know why but I kind of have this strange belief that my destiny lies with Iowa. Don't ask me why...but there were a couple of signs. First off after I came back from my interview I got back to my apartment in the bay area and flipped on the television and fell asleep. I wake up a couple of hours later and Field of dreams happens to be on (I left the tv on some movie channel). Not only that...but in the movie its the part where the baseball player says, "This must be heaven...where am I?" and Kevin Costner says, "Iowa." I was like hey I was just there...it was kind of surreal. Not only that I met some guy on the plane ride back that happened to own a couple of companies. He told me about his life (moved from California to Iowa) and his best friend who happens to be the head of cardiology at UCLA (my alma mater) and told me how he could hook me up if I ended up at Iowa. This all happened in the span of 24 hours...and when I look back it sounds so much like a dream (I did only get 3 hrs of sleep the night before...which explains why I crashed on my couch with the TV on). Previous to this...I have heard Iowa mentioned a couple of times. One was when I was coming back from my Wakeforest interview the previous application cycle (i am a reapplicant). We were on a bumpy plane ride and this Lady next to me was telling me her life story in Iowa. After not gaining admission that year I decided hey I should check off Iowa on my ACMAS. Not only that, but on my plane ride back from my interview at Chicago I also happen to sit next to someone from Iowa. It just so happens that my boss in the lab right now also has some collaborators at Iowa and is actually from the midwest. My newly employed coworker is also from the midwest and has talked to me about her trips to Iowa city. Its weird that a school and a state that seemed so obscure to me all my life has just recently been making itself more noticeable and appealing to me. I never got this feeling from any other school...and I just wanted to share. Sorry for the digression....Good vibes going your way. :)

That's a lot of coincidence, if you believe in that sort of thing. Good luck!! Have you called them to see where they're at on the waitlist?

If anyone on the Iowa in-state waitlist cares, it looks like I am going to be leaving the list on July 21 to start at another school. So, if you are currently greater than number 6 on the in-state waitlist, you will be moving up really soon! It's sad for me, but good for you. I bet more people will have to drop off the waitlist for the same reason as me, so maybe it will start moving fast again! Good luck everyone!

LMIP - :( :( :( So sorry to hear you won't be in our class next year. But congrats at starting at your new school this month. :D

HoMuffin and wierdo - hang in there, and post some good news soon! ;)

Anyone else joining us in Iowa City this fall? :)

Hey guys thanks for all the support. However, I just found out I got into USC....which is like 10 minutes from home. I know Iowa has alot to offer and I know it has a great rep, but I know I want to practice in socal and USC just seems to offer alot in regards to the non-academic aspect of medical school. Any thoughts? I have not been accepted to Iowa but I am #10 on the out of state waitlist. There is still a chance I would have to make a choice.

Hey guys thanks for all the support. However, I just found out I got into USC....which is like 10 minutes from home. I know Iowa has alot to offer and I know it has a great rep, but I know I want to practice in socal and USC just seems to offer alot in regards to the non-academic aspect of medical school. Any thoughts? I have not been accepted to Iowa but I am #10 on the out of state waitlist. There is still a chance I would have to make a choice.

Congrats on the acceptance. I can't really offer that much advice since I never even looked at USC. Is the price pretty similar? I don't know, but I think that you would be able to go back to SoCal from Iowa, since it's a very good school. I don't know what you're looking for in a school. The things that I really liked about Iowa were the obvious commitment to students (new building, communities, and curriculum all based on student input). I really like there opportunities for research (Research Distinction Track) and also for an international experience. I also think that the 2 week rotations in some of the more specialized fields will be really interesting and rewarding. I like that it's in a college town and am excited about Big 10 athletics.

I'm really surprised that you haven't been accepted yet. Have you called to see where they are at on the waitlist? Maybe let them know about your acceptance and see what they have to say. Sorry, that I can't help more than tht. Congrats again and good luck if you have to make a decision.

Anyone else? ;)

I finally got internet service at my place up and running! (Though right now I'm at home, en route to a party in Chicago. :D )

And SDNers in Iowa City, PM me so we can hang out! I'd love to meet you guys! :)

So fellow Hawkeyes, orientation starts in a little over a week. When is everyone moving in? Woots, how did you go about purchasing your condo. I got an apartment for the first year but for the last three years I want to buy a condo or a townhome. I look forward to meeting everyone at orientation.

congrats to all accepted and don't loose hope for all those still on the alternate list at Iowa.

(I feel like a dork being so excited to start school. Anyone else out there with the same sentiments?)

How many out there are purchasing a PDA or a laptop prior to coming and how many are deciding to wait until after we start school?

Hey prettydoc! :D

We went through a realitor, but from what I understand, most of the property sales are word of mouth, or for sale by owner. Try looking at different neighborhoods that you might like to live in, and then in late winter/ early spring drive around and look for signs in the yards (we used this strategy). Or try and meet some M4s who will be moving. ;)

I went ahead and got a laptop. I was considering getting a tablet PC for easier note taking, but I got a hookup from a guy at my dad's work.

I have mixed emotions about school starting - 50% excited and 50% so scared I might pee my pants. ;)

Again, I think we're having a party the Saturday after the White Coat ceremony. :D

Congrats to all of you that got accepted for 2007! I am a current applicant for the 2008 class and would like to know what drew you to Carver esp. if you are out of state? Also, can anyone tell me about the cost of living in Iowa City? What about the diversity? Thanks:)

Hey femdoc - good luck! :D I applied to Iowa because it's a great school in the Midwest (I'm from Illinois), has a great reputation, the cirriculum is a good mix between traditional and organ systems based, the facilities look great (I'll know more about those in a week ;) ), and Iowa City is an awesome place to live. I'm not so sure about the cost of living (though it's definately lower than either coast or very large urban areas) or the diversity since I haven't been here that long.

Any M1s getting excited about orientation? ;) Personally, I think about 75% of it will suck, but you never know. IM or email me if you guys want to do something one night this week! :D

bumpin it up...c'mon, folks, keep this thread alive!