MSUCHM vs OUWB

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

med248

Reaction score
MSU CHM

Pros:
  • True P/F preclinical
  • Less frequent exams
  • Cheaper Tuition
  • Cheaper cost of living for my current situation
  • Early clinical experience
  • More established school
  • New partnership with Henry Ford
Cons:
  • A bit more primary care/rural driven (as of now I am planning on specializing, however they have had derm and plastic surgery matches recently)
  • Not guaranteed that I will be able to be where I want in M3/M4
  • Unable to see recent match list
OUWB

Pros:
  • In my hometown area, where I would like to eventually end up settling
  • Match list seems to be better in terms of competitive specialty matches
  • Beumont Hospital Affiliation
Cons:
  • Expensive tuition compared to CHM
  • Newer program
  • Professor written exams/more frequent exams

Members don't see this ad.

What is the overall cost of attendance difference? If it’s within $100k, I would choose OUWB because it’s your desired location, better clinical rotations (and location of those rotations), and better/more residency programs in almost any specialty. Meanwhile MSU/Spectrum Health lacks a lot of the surgical subspecialties and derm. With that said, if you aren’t interested in those, then follow the money.

Members don't see this ad :)
There's another post about this comparison, and I found reading what one commenter said about residency placement at CHM really helpful. Here's the link to it.

"Second, after looking at OUWB's match list and CHM's match list from last year (CHM distributes this internally, I'm not sure if it's available otherwise), they match pretty similarly if not somewhat stronger at CHM in my opinion (at least this past year). Multiple matches to Ivies, UCSF, NYU, MGH, BIDMC, Mayo, etc., and multiple matches to highly competitive specialties (ortho, derm, optho, uro, IR, etc.). Others in my class are having amazing success in getting interviews at top programs in their specialty (although the match has not happened yet obviously). Of course this varies year-to-year and is somewhat self-selecting but you can match anywhere in the country and in any specialty if you put the work in regardless of medical school, and OUWB vs. CHM is not going to be the determining factor in that regard especially if you want to remain in Michigan."

Reactions: 1 user
What is the overall cost of attendance difference? If it’s within $100k, I would choose OUWB because it’s your desired location, better clinical rotations (and location of those rotations), and better/more residency programs in almost any specialty. Meanwhile MSU/Spectrum Health lacks a lot of the surgical subspecialties and derm. With that said, if you aren’t interested in those, then follow the money.
Now CHM has dermatology, otolaryngology, pathology, radiation oncology, urology, and neurosurgery. Through Henry ford health science partnership. Also a new research facility opening through Henry ford in 2027.