pathetic financial aid--USC!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmejia1

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wasn't expecting much, but come on! Zero grants, nothing but loans, and they are still short $15,754 that they suggest I independently borrow from a bank. I feel so stupid, having withdrawn from another UC for USC. USC was my first choice if I didn't get off UCLA's waitlist, but thank God I still have Davis, which I was almost ready to withdraw from because the two-week period they gave me to decide was almost up. I'm heading to sacramento if UCLA doesn't pan out.

Members don't see this ad.

Wow! Zero grants? Man, I'm sorry to hear the bad news brother. :( Before you head on to Davis try talking to a USC financial aid counselor and see if they can re-evaluate your financial aid or try to offer you any other kinds of grants or scholarships. If that doesn't work and you're still in the hole, then go ahead and do what's best for you. Btw, what was the other UC you turned down for USC? Well, fortunately you didn't let UC Davis slip through you. It's a good thing you still held on to it! :clap:

damn joe, sorry to hear that man...damn trojans!!!
appeal bro, and hopefully they'll come through for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
jmejia1,

Just curious but, if you're willing to share, what is your approximate FAFSA family income?

•••quote:•••Originally posted by geneman:
•jmejia1,

Just curious but, if you're willing to share, what is your approximate FAFSA family income?•••••MY EFC is pretty low otherwise I wouldn't make a big about the crappy SC loans.

I wrote to the Dean at USC just now and I'm waiting to see what advice I get. most likely I will attend UC Davis, after *****ically withdrawing from UCSD thinking USC would hook it up with anything half decent. i don't mind, am actually now looking forward to getting my eduacation at UCD though SC was my utmost first choice after UCLA.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by jmejia1:
• •••quote:•••Originally posted by geneman:
•jmejia1,

Just curious but, if you're willing to share, what is your approximate FAFSA family income?•••••MY EFC is pretty low otherwise I wouldn't make a big about the crappy SC loans.

I wrote to the Dean at USC just now and I'm waiting to see what advice I get. most likely I will attend UC Davis, after *****ically withdrawing from UCSD thinking USC would hook it up with anything half decent. i don't mind, am actually now looking forward to getting my eduacation at UCD though SC was my utmost first choice after UCLA.•••••Wasn't there someone on SDN who accepted Duke and turned down Penn at the May 15th deadline but then suddenly changed his or her mind. IN the end, he or she talked to Penn's admissions office and got his acceptance back?

You could try that with UCSD and see if that works. Just be honest and say that the USC aid came out absolutely horrendous and would put you in a serious financial difficulty. UCSD might be understanding (assuming you want to go to UCSD of course).

Wasn't there someone on SDN who accepted Duke and turned down Penn at the May 15th deadline but then suddenly changed his or her mind. IN the end, he or she talked to Penn's admissions office and got his acceptance back?

I think it all depends how long it's been since he's withdrawn. If it was something like last weeek, maybe there's a chance. But if we're talking about the May 15 deadline I think it's a little too late. Also, from experience UCSD is pretty anal about deadlines and formalaties, so I don't know how amenable they would be to his request. Maybe it's worth a shot, who knows? :rolleyes:

any other thoughts?

Yeah, why'd you give up SD for Davis or USC?