Rush vs. UMiami Miller

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

med22222

Reaction score
Hey guys! I'm deciding between Rush and UMiami and would love to hear your input (asap). I'm 50/50 split between the two.

Miami Pros:
  • 14-month Phase 1 pre-clinical curriculum (not sure if this is good or bad)
  • Awesome match list!
  • Lots of research opportunities
  • Warmth in the winter
  • Exams every 2 weeks (lower stakes?)
  • Slightly higher in rank
  • WOLFSON Docs Program (a free clinic)
  • 4 year MD/MBA (which is pretty huge for me)
Miami Cons:
  • Step 1 and 2 are both taken in 3rd year within 3 months
  • Ranked pre-clinicals (not sure if in quartiles or numerical grades too)
  • Required 8am-12pm classes every day
  • Exams on Monday morning at 8 am every other week (adds stress?)
  • Might be too hot in the summer
Rush Pros:
  • Students seem very happy and not too stressed (QOL is very important for me)
  • In Chicago- can do research at other top Chicago schools
  • P/F M1 and M2, Honors/HP/P/F M3 and M4
  • No internal rankings
  • More name recognition in Chicago (I want to practice in Chi likely)
  • Systems based curriculum
  • Also has several free clinics and volunteer opportunities
  • Exam at end of every block (every 3-5 weeks), but more high stakes

Rush Cons:
  • No MD/MBA program (would need to do an MBA elsewhere)
  • Less name recognition outside of Chicago
  • Slightly lower ranked (in general and for residency directors)
  • Harsher winters

I'm pretty split between these two schools. I'm curious to see how current students feel about taking Step 1 and 2 together in 3 months and about the mandatory 8 am classes. I'm slightly concerned that based on how the curriculum is structured at Miami, it may be a bit more stressful and competitive, whereas the environment at Rush seemed more friendly and chill, although I don't know enough about Miami to understand if this is actually the case. Financials are equal for me for both schools, so that's not a factor. Family in both places so that's also not a factor.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think it definitely depends on your studying habits, aka are you a crammer or can you study consistently for long periods of time. Miami's curriculum sounds like it's meant to keep you on track due to the frequent testing. I also interviewed at Rush, I asked them what was one of their dissatisfaction with Rush, and they said that it doesn't have strong name outside of the region. SO i think it's a good option if you know you will be in that area long term as opposed to applying widely across the nation for residency.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
wait this is so wild....i was also kinda in between rush and miami's MD/MBA - sending u clarity as u decide!

• Love
Members don't see this ad :)
Just a thought, but the brand divide between Rush and other top institutions across the US seems to be narrowing. It helps that Rush University Medical Center is a top hospital in the US rankings. Personally, I would not use name recognition as a determining factor in this case- the other pro's and con's are way more important.

Reactions: 1 users
Just a thought, but the brand divide between Rush and other top institutions across the US seems to be narrowing. It helps that Rush University Medical Center is a top hospital in the US rankings. Personally, I would not use name recognition as a determining factor in this case- the other pro's and con's are way more important.
I'm looking into some schools rn and I was wondering what you meant by brand divide and what makes you believe its narrowing?

When we think of the big names in medicine, I wouldn't say Rush jumps to the top. This is a US World News report and social media problem, not a pragmatic one. Pre-2023 Rush was never in the top 30 for med schools (then again, who cares about the USWNR). But, Rush Medical Center was top 10 the last few years for hospitals, which was cool. Between RMC and Stroger Cook County (the first trauma center in the USA btw), it makes Rush medical school a power house for those clinically savvy folks,

My point? In an "image is everything" world, I wouldn't turn down Rush over a respectable school like Miami just because of perceived name recognition problems.

When we think of the big names in medicine, I wouldn't say Rush jumps to the top. This is a US World News report and social media problem, not a pragmatic one. Pre-2023 Rush was never in the top 30 for med schools (then again, who cares about the USWNR). But, Rush Medical Center was top 10 the last few years for hospitals, which was cool. Between RMC and Stroger Cook County (the first trauma center in the USA btw), it makes Rush medical school a power house for those clinically savvy folks,

My point? In an "image is everything" world, I wouldn't turn down Rush over a respectable school like Miami just because of perceived name recognition problems.
Thanks for breaking it down. Appreciate the quick turnaround too!