Colorado vs UMiami (Miller)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jupiter7

Reaction score
Colorado

Pros:

• 12 month preclinical True P/F
  • Friday quizzes, 50% to pass. 70% for exam weeks, no internal ranking whatsoever
  • Really nice facilities on campus (student buildings, hospitals, wellness center)
  • Faculty seems really supportive and offers a lot of resources, mentorship
  • Higher ranked, great clinical affiliates, large physician network
  • Is the premier hospital system of the Rocky Mountain region, will see a lot of interesting cases
  • Global Health Track - Will be able to do clinical research abroad
  • I can learn how to ski! Mountains are pretty cool

Cons:

• I didn’t love Denver when I visited, felt very…granola, not the big city vibe I was looking for (From NYC for context). Aurora was an interesting place (Colfax Ave)
  • $70,709 OOS Tuition
  • Would have to take an extra year for MPH if I chose to pursue that
  • Longitudinal integrated clerkship- not sure if this is a pro or con

Miami Miller

Pros:

• Opportunity to pursue a 4-year MD/MPH
  • Lots of early clinical exposure, Wolfson Free clinics
  • 14-month pre-clerkship
  • There are Global Health opportunities, but the website is not very specific
  • Patient population/city is extremely diverse, more cosmopolitan
  • I want to become fluent in Spanish, and this can be a great place to improve
  • Match list seemed pretty comparable prestige-wise vs Colorado in what I currently am interested in (Anesthesia or Internal Med)
  • Summer is my favorite season, would rather be in a humid vs. arid climate
  • Cheaper tuition: ~51k MD, ~59k MD/MPH

Cons:

• Quartile-based rankings pre-clerkship and Monday exams? I’m not sure if this is true, read it on another thread
  • Very disorganized interview day, is this a reflection of the school?
  • The cost of living is higher
  • Political climate is not a major concern, but wondering if it will pose any issues to my medical education

Very fortunate to have the choice between two great schools. The biggest factors for me are Global Medicine opportunities, clinical exposure, and true P/F curriculum. If there is anyone who attends Miller now who can provide some insight please message me! I know a lot more about Colorado’s program right now than Miami.

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like you really want to go to Miami and the tuition is significantly cheaper. Also great place to get your medical education with global populations and spanish-speaking community. It won't hold you back from matching into competitive IM or anesthesiology residencies! Enjoy your next four years in one of the coolest cities in America :)